Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

And also , apologies to sidaldo for being snappy with him , sorry mate , my fault , I am a bit grumpy today.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 am

Fattyramone wrote:And also , apologies to sidaldo for being snappy with him , sorry mate , my fault , I am a bit grumpy today.
Haha, no worries mate. We all have our days. In fact, thank you for helping me out! Cheers!
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:50 am

...Homo erotic Palm slaps all round ... :D

And stop using bloody confusing abbreviations , yer little sod....

'Kin kids and their 'kin secret society 'kin abbreviations , drives me 'kin nuts.....

:fight:
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Fattyramone wrote:Maybe if Dave Suchanoo is reading this he can alter his opening posting and input this new info where the old (now incorrect) tariff number is.

Or maybe you can abuse your position of hacking moderator and do it for him when he's not looking.
Users can't edit a post after 24 hours so Dave can't do it. I've just changed it on the first page though.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
nickd1992
Art Enthusiast

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 am

I recently bought something from Australia and as well as the import VAT, Parcelforce charged me about £12 for 'admin charges and onward sending'. Any suggestions as to how to avoid this happening again?
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 am

nickd1992 wrote:I recently bought something from Australia and as well as the import VAT, Parcelforce charged me about £12 for 'admin charges and onward sending'. Any suggestions as to how to avoid this happening again?
The only way to avoid the dreaded charges completely would be to have a value marked below the import threshold. Otherwise unfortunately they'll sting you with their charges to tell you that you have charges.

Other than that you can mark the parcel with codes to try and lessen the charges (see first post) and if that fails you can try and claim some back. You never get the overpriced admin charge back though.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:41 pm

For commission sketches, is the VAT code 9701100000 and that should be charged at 5% right?
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 am

dhokes wrote:For commission sketches, is the VAT code 9701 100000 and that should be charged at 5% right?
Yup, that's right.

For Paintings, drawings and pastels, executed entirely by hand, other than drawings of heading 4906 and other than hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles; collages and similar decorative plaques, the commodity code for importing is 9701100000.
Importing from outside the EU is subject to a third country duty of 0.00 %.
Goods are subject to VAT reduced rate 5%

(Heading 4906 is Plans and drawings for architectural, engineering, industrial, commercial, topographical or similar purposes, being originals drawn by hand; handwritten texts; photographic reproductions on sensitised paper and carbon copies of the foregoing)

For original engravings, prints and lithographs (this means impressions produced directly, in black and white or in colour, of one or of several plates wholly executed by hand by the artist, irrespective of the process or of the material employed by him, but not including any mechanical or photomechanical process), the commodity code for importing is 9702000000.
Goods are subject to VAT reduced rate 5%.

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/chapters/97
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:50 pm

HippyChick wrote:
dhokes wrote:For commission sketches, is the VAT code 9701 100000 and that should be charged at 5% right?
Yup, that's right.

For Paintings, drawings and pastels, executed entirely by hand, other than drawings of heading 4906 and other than hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles; collages and similar decorative plaques, the commodity code for importing is 9701100000.
Goods are subject to VAT reduced rate 5%

(Heading 4906 is Plans and drawings for architectural, engineering, industrial, commercial, topographical or similar purposes, being originals drawn by hand; handwritten texts; photographic reproductions on sensitised paper and carbon copies of the foregoing)

For original engravings, prints and lithographs (this means impressions produced directly, in black and white or in colour, of one or of several plates wholly executed by hand by the artist, irrespective of the process or of the material employed by him, but not including any mechanical or photomechanical process), the commodity code for importing is 9702000000.
Goods are subject to VAT reduced rate 5%.

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/chapters/97
Cheers. Re. the bit in bold - so if importing from the EU, it's 5% and if outside, it's 0%?
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Whilst technically correct and above board I wouldn't get too het up and involved with all the legal goobledegook when claiming a refund , just request a refund and give them the correct tariff code that applies to our hobby and have done with it.....don't try and get cocky with them about it.

Half if not most of what we collect doesn't strictly by the letter of the law qualify anyway (most of it is NOT hand pulled etc etc , but farmed out to printing companies)....

Just remember they have a book of tariff codes a mile thick that applies to all sorts of different imported products , as much as it pains to admit it I can sort of understand why they get it wrong so often when you see how many inclusions/exclusions/partial exclusions there are to the "standard" UK 20% vat rate.

With so much to remember/look up they can't be an expert in all the different fields of what's being imported , so just just give them what they need to tick-the-right-box and issue you a refund and keep dialog to a minimum

Most of them only know they're men because they can feel their cocks hitting their knees in the morning and let's keep it that way.
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:40 pm

dhokes wrote:
Cheers. Re. the bit in bold - so if importing from the EU, it's 5% and if outside, it's 0%?
There shouldn't be any duty or VAT from within the EU,

If it's outside the EU there's 0% import duty but 5% VAT, instead of the standard 20% VAT.
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:56 pm

HippyChick wrote:
dhokes wrote:
There shouldn't be any duty or VAT from within the EU,

If it's outside the EU there's 0% import duty but 5% VAT, instead of the standard 20% VAT.
cheers
benjo09
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Wish I'd have known about this in the past. Probably lost £100s over the years.
hayward96
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Good info here bump
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Just checking that all the info in the first post is still relevant before I make a claim... anyone made one recently?
this aggression will not stand, man.