Floating a Print

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Kazden wrote:awesome read... this deserves another bump. I know I'll have questions later and hope some people are still around to help!
Thanks for bumping this Kazden....it is indeed an awesome read. I frame a bunch of my own stuff, now I can try to float something.

Thanks for the bump. I'm still around and always happy to answer questions (even if I don't know the answer, I'm good at making things up).
Kazden
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks Chr1s! I'm going to take you up on that offer real soon! :D
Image THC!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm

CHR1S wrote:You can prepare the wheat paste in any pot as long as it's not aluminum. The one I use is teflon coated. The difficult part is the constant stirring. And it can take up to half an hour of cooking and constant stirring before the paste is ready. Which is why I have a pot that stirs as it cooks.
I know a street artist that goes through 5-10 gallons of wheatpaste a night sometimes, and 2-3 times that when prepping a major install. He obviously has a lot more room for error in his paste quality than you do, but he's got an awesome system rigged: a couple 5-gallon buckets (from spackle, pickles, whatever he's found on the street) with thrift store electric drills suspended over them, and instead of drill bits, he's got old beater attachments from discarded stand mixers stuck in there. The drills' triggers are held with rubber bands, which are pulling just hard enough to have the drills turning slowly. It's bizarre and ghetto fabulous.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone for all this valuable insightful info!
You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
saL
Art Expert

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:52 pm

I know this is not a right thread, but since lots of DIY framers follow it, I was wondering if you could direct me to some good DIY canvas stretching tutorials.

I just received a great unstretched piece from an artist, and since I don't have access to quality framers, I'd like to try and stretch it myself. So, any links, tips, tricks, and suggestions, are more than welcome!
beerotan
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

saL wrote:I know this is not a right thread, but since lots of DIY framers follow it, I was wondering if you could direct me to some good DIY canvas stretching tutorials.

I just received a great unstretched piece from an artist, and since I don't have access to quality framers, I'd like to try and stretch it myself. So, any links, tips, tricks, and suggestions, are more than welcome!
You might want to repost this in the general framing questions thread to get a better number of responses: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=127256
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 pm

saL wrote:I know this is not a right thread, but since lots of DIY framers follow it, I was wondering if you could direct me to some good DIY canvas stretching tutorials.

Stretching a canvas is actually quite easy. First thing you need to do is order the appropriate size stretcher bars (or frame) to stretch the canvas on. How large is the painting? That could determine the type of stretcher bars you need and whether or not you need canvas pliers to stretch the canvas. You might also want to practice on a blank canvas first. If you stretch too tight you could rip or crack the paint on the canvas. And there are lot's instructional videos on how to stretch a canvas like the link below:

http://video.about.com/painting/How-to- ... Canvas.htm
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I stretched a 40x60 canvas from ABC (over on the Banksy forum) and it was honestly a breeze. Only tricky part is getting the proper fold on the corners, but there are YouTube videos for that.

I did not use any canvas pliers ( http://www.dickblick.com/products/fredr ... godoWkAqg), so my hands were a bit worn out by the end. Just make sure you work from the center of each side, alternating between each pull/staple only about 6-8" and then rotate to the opposite side... This way you are stretching the canvas evenly around the entire frame. You dont need to stretch too tight, the slack will get taken out by the stretcher bar keys (wedges that you tap into place after everything is done to tighten the bars).
Image Image Image
saL
Art Expert

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks for all the useful tips as always guys. As I thought, stretching canvas should be much easier that framing a print (esp float framing), so I'll get on this soon. Cheers!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Sweet, researching floating a sketch and I found this. SEARCH DOES WORK FOLKS! Deserves a bump.
jvphish
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:21 pm

:drool:
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Kazden wrote:awesome read... this deserves another bump. I know I'll have questions later and hope some people are still around to help!
hexterb
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:22 am

Bumping this simply because it's a great read and informative.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 pm

What do framers charge for floating a print and does the art work get affected from the back?
CHR1S
Art Expert

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:54 pm

sidaldo wrote:What do framers charge for floating a print and does the art work get affected from the back?
Lot's of variables to come up with a price for this procedure. First of all there are several methods to float a print. And the price would also vary depending on the size of the print.

As far as the back of the print being affected, if it's done properly it won't be affected and the process can be reversed. If the framer knows what he is doing the print will be just fine. If you use a framer that doesn't mat or hinge properly it could effect the back of the print.

I did a demo of how to hinge properly at the following link on EB:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... e#p2819144

And if you want to see how the back of a print is NOT damaged by proper floating or hinging see this link:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... +Believing