King Kong 15 Delort

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm

This topic is dedicated to: King Kong 15 Delort

recycler
Art Expert

Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 am

Could be a very nice complimentary piece to Laurent's.

I really like the perspective - the movie camera is a nice touch.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Fri May 15, 2015 8:39 am

I think this thing is drymountin amazing. If i didn't already have the Durieux, i'd be all over this like stupid on this dolt i work with.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
applehead
Art Expert

Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 pm

Can an admin/mod add the variant and 2 canvas editions?
automator
Nobody

Fri May 15, 2015 2:19 pm

New image King Kong 15 Delort - Variant

rabieteen
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 21, 2015 1:28 am

this is my least favorite delort but I love his work so much I snagged a couple.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 am

I love this print, but it just occurred to me what may be the issue with the camera - it's too small. As an object in the foreground, it should be much closer to the viewer and therefore should be much larger, possibly obscured like the vines and leaves.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Gbanek
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:46 pm

so disappointed by this one. First time in a while I opened a tube and felt like the jpeg was actually better.... Foil was a bad idea imo.
admhall
Art Expert

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 pm

Damn still haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet. I love of Delort's work so I am sure still enjoy it
ImageStout Lotto "0-fer"

Send Bitcoin here

1EM43nMpSTyZA5hbsgLWTfPS8H5BmT8NiH
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 pm

I'd be interested to see photos of the variant if anybody's got them. Just got the reg and, while I get the idea behind the foil, I feel like it's a bit distracting given the amount of foil being exposed and how reflective it is. Wonder how the sepia color comes out on top of it.

I still like the image though, although the perspective on the camera feels a little off - not that it should be taken out but that the foreground/midground/backgroud perspective would push for the object to be larger if it's in the forefront. Feels like a missed opportunity to do it on paper or, if they wanted to create sort of a more misty/old-time cinema feel to the image, a pearlescent/metallic paper would've been more appropriate than the foil. At the very least foil seems to come out better when hidden within the slivers of the ink scratches - gives it just the right amount of shine by being subtle.
rabieteen
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 am

admhall wrote:Damn still haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet. I love of Delort's work so I am sure still enjoy it
yeah same here. not a peep.
DarkHallMansion
Art Expert

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi guys,

Only a handful of Kongs were still pending to go out, all others have been done since last week.

As to foil, it's the nature of our contract with Warners, on certain of their properties only, as to what substrates we can use. Generally we have the usual free reign with them on how we approach each licensed title but just a couple of films with limitations. Also easier for us to do on paper too, less difficult for printers, less expensive as well.

Thanks,
DHM
http://www.DarkHallMansion.com
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:04 pm

DarkHallMansion wrote:Hi guys,

Only a handful of Kongs were still pending to go out, all others have been done since last week.

As to foil, it's the nature of our contract with Warners, on certain of their properties only, as to what substrates we can use. Generally we have the usual free reign with them on how we approach each licensed title but just a couple of films with limitations. Also easier for us to do on paper too, less difficult for printers, less expensive as well.

Thanks,
DHM
Interesting. No worries, apologies if it ever comes off too negative, just trying to form some constructive criticism in regards to how the art is executed. Clearly I'm a Delort fan through and through, but the strength of foil can be so subjective to the point of creating entire waves of pro/anti foil discussion. It's ultimately a tool like CGI, aimed for a desired effect, and I'm sure some folks are happy with the result (my wife is actually pretty impressed). For me what works so well with Delort's scratchboard work and foil is the subtle infusion of the medium's shine in the finer line detail. It lets the foil work its magic without attracting too much attention to itself, giving the black linework a little more dimension. But I fully admit that I tend to be the kind of person who gets distracted by larger reflections within the paper, and that it's pretty easy for me to be distrac-SQUIRREL!

As always, thanks for chiming in though!
DarkHallMansion
Art Expert

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:25 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
DarkHallMansion wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks,
DHM
Interesting. No worries, apologies if it ever comes off too negative, just trying to form some constructive criticism in regards to how the art is executed.

Not at all, JK, we want to hear, def appreciate you guys chiming in. We have another Warners release upcoming and it's the same situation, except on the that one the foil shows through in a more restrained manner given nature of the artwork so think the substrate will really make sense and compliment.

Clearly I'm a Delort fan through and through, but the strength of foil can be so subjective to the point of creating entire waves of pro/anti foil discussion.

Sure.

It's ultimately a tool like CGI, aimed for a desired effect, and I'm sure some folks are happy with the result (my wife is actually pretty impressed).

It's interesting, sure there's camps where the more foil the better so they get that with Nicolas' artwork while others prefer the more subtle approach where only certain highlights show through. That's the case with that next Warners we're doing, the foil there ended up being specifically tied to certain elements only, so a more natural part of the print's overall theme.

For me what works so well with Delort's scratchboard work and foil is the subtle infusion of the medium's shine in the finer line detail. It lets the foil work its magic without attracting too much attention to itself, giving the black linework a little more dimension. But I fully admit that I tend to be the kind of person who gets distracted by larger reflections within the paper, and that it's pretty easy for me to be distrac-SQUIRREL!

Ha! Hear you. Certain kinds of foil we feel inform too. When we did the recent SHAG "The Twilight Zone," it was the first time SHAG ever approved a foil release and he was really impressed on seeing the editions in person, same printer did our foils for Laurent's "It's a Wonderful Life" too, plus that's the printer on the upcoming Warners release so think you'll be impressed. Logical fit between artist and foil too. Hint there. ;)

As always, thanks for chiming in though!
Back at you, always welcome the input guys,

DHM
applehead
Art Expert

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Any real pics of the regular edition around?