Noob questions

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Why do people keep their collections private?
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Why do people keep their collections private?

Because who wants unsolicited PMs from people asking, you want to sell that?
danebp
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Funny, I've always had my collection public, but I almost never get such PMs (and I do get a lot of PMs). Could be that no one is interested in anything in my collection though, except what is listed in my Trades... :oops: :P
Last edited by danebp on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm

danebp wrote:Funny, I've always had my collection public, but I almost never get such PMs
Same
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Bikejoh wrote:
danebp wrote:Funny, I've always had my collection public, but I almost never get such PMs
Same
It only happens if you have anything good. :P
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 pm

PLUSH wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:
Same
It only happens if you have anything good. :P
look again posterkiller :twisted:
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:35 pm

some people don't like to make publicly available all of the possessions they own when their address could be known through transactions
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
tabBOCKalypse
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm

starkiller wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Put an item in your trades section and enter in the price you sold it for, then save it. Return to the listing and there should be a button that says 'sold at price shown' click that and you are golden. It might take a bit for the sale to show up in the sales history of the item.
just leave the site/source in the notes when you report the sale, otherwise it's the same process - thanks.
^ Found this in an older thread about price history... but is there a better way to record a year's worth of eBay/Etsy purchases from before I joined EB? I guess I'm mostly curious if there's a way that I can link the sales to the actual website, rather than have it appear like I was the one that sold it? For instance, can I have the price from this recent sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281181151290?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT recorded on the price history page of this print, rather than hitting the "sold at price shown" button and having tabBOCKalypse show up as the source. Because in this particular case, I was neither the buyer nor the seller. Thanks!
1nkling
Site Admin

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Anyone can submit an eBay auction on the prints 'For Sale or Trade' page. You can submit older ones depending on if the ebay item number is still valid.

No alternative solution for etsy though.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
tabBOCKalypse
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Oh hell yeah! Didn't realize you could retroactively add them if the item number is still valid... Would have been a much simpler question for me to ask :lol: Just added the one from my example, thanks so much!
VoltronShakespeare
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:03 pm

Super noob in need of some assistance.

I started collecting prints about a year or so ago, and I keep them all stored in a flat file. I've purchased most of my prints directly from galleries, from the artists themselves, or from eBay, and I've never framed or hung anything I've acquired(if this sounds crazy to you, I'm not allowed to hang anything on the walls in my current apartment). I stumbled on a link to this place today, and I had completely forgotten I created an account a few months ago in order to view a post about a print or something. After giving EB a more thorough look, I feel I could acquire a good number of the prints on here I've been having trouble finding, and eventually sell or trade some of my own when I hopefully establish myself a little better. I began creating my collection on here earlier, but I realized I probably wasn't entering the correct conditions for my prints, so I figured it'd be best to ask for some help before I got too deep.

For prints I received directly from galleries and artists that appear mint and have been stored flat upon arrival, what should those be graded? New? Like New? Very Good? I assumed the fact that they were shipped to me at all would remove them from "New" consideration and make them "Like New" at best. But is even that too high? Should they be listed as "Very Good" even though they've never been hung or handled beyond them shipping them to me and me filing them?

For prints I've received from eBay that seem mint/near mint, does the fact that I don't know the prints' exact history make them "Very Good" at best regardless of appearance?

I also have a few vinyl releases from Mondo, only one of them still sealed(the rest opened to inspect for variants), but all of them shipped to me and are unplayed. One of them had a slipcase slightly cracked during shipping and it scratched the jacket just a little. So I was curious how should I grade the sealed one, the ones opened only to check for variants, and the one that has a slightly damaged slipcase/jacket but still mint wax?

Just need a little help with condition classification, I reckon. Thanks very much to any kind souls willing to spare some information! Any other tips for using and establishing credibility on this site would be appreciated as well.
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 am

VoltronShakespeare wrote: After giving EB a more thorough look, I feel I could acquire a good number of the prints on here I've been having trouble finding, and eventually sell or trade some of my own when I hopefully establish myself a little better. I began creating my collection on here earlier, but I realized I probably wasn't entering the correct conditions for my prints, so I figured it'd be best to ask for some help before I got too deep.

For prints I received directly from galleries and artists that appear mint and have been stored flat upon arrival, what should those be graded? New? Like New? Very Good? I assumed the fact that they were shipped to me at all would remove them from "New" consideration and make them "Like New" at best. But is even that too high? Should they be listed as "Very Good" even though they've never been hung or handled beyond them shipping them to me and me filing them?

For prints I've received from eBay that seem mint/near mint, does the fact that I don't know the prints' exact history make them "Very Good" at best regardless of appearance?
The only person who cares is you. (I mean that in the nicest way possible). If you're looking at selling the prints down the road, very very very few potential buyers are going to care that a print was handled at origin and then again by you as you were filing it away.
VoltronShakespeare
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:14 pm

RiotAct wrote:The only person who cares is you. (I mean that in the nicest way possible). If you're looking at selling the prints down the road, very very very few potential buyers are going to care that a print was handled at origin and then again by you as you were filing it away.
Well that makes things easy, thank you!
RiotAct
EB Team

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm

VoltronShakespeare wrote:
RiotAct wrote:The only person who cares is you. (I mean that in the nicest way possible). If you're looking at selling the prints down the road, very very very few potential buyers are going to care that a print was handled at origin and then again by you as you were filing it away.
Well that makes things easy, thank you!
No problem. However, understand that everyone's different as far as condition goes, some people won't care if there's spots of edgewear / dogeared corners on prints they receive (especially on older gig posters) while others will freak out if there's a couple of splotches of ink on the back of the print (yes it's happened before and people have started threads on here over it, lol) - so it's better to be as descriptive as possible if there's any discernible damage at all to the paper.
soupysound
EB Team

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm

not sure where to ask this....

any chance that we can add "magnet" as a search term in the "class" dropdown?