EBeans AoTY / PoTY / CPoTY voting is live

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Celsius wrote:Once again stupid fanbots just vote for their favorite artist without regards to the art. :roll: Are you idiots drymounting serious? A print that wasn't even printed yet won Cinema Poster of the Year? One that doesn't even have a large JPEG to view all the details? Ridiculous.

Black Keys winning poster of the year is much respect though.
Honestly... your posts remind me of stale bread with a big cup o' shut the drymount up :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:51 pm

comountaingolf wrote:
Celsius wrote:Once again stupid fanbots just vote for their favorite artist without regards to the art. :roll: Are you idiots drymounting serious? A print that wasn't even printed yet won Cinema Poster of the Year? One that doesn't even have a large JPEG to view all the details? Ridiculous.

Honestly... your posts remind me of stale bread with a big cup o' shut the drymount up :lol:
He makes a valid point. If Horkey wasn't attached to the name they wouldn't win. That's a pretty valid argument.

And the Sperry I would give the nod to as well.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 pm

63schoeffling wrote:He makes a valid point. If Horkey wasn't attached to the name they wouldn't win. That's a pretty valid argument.
They also wouldn't be as good...
whl10
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:58 pm

huh
treweman
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:00 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:
treweman wrote:Boy, do I feel out of touch with the pulse of EB. The best I could do with my top choice in any of the three categories was 16th.
super hitler?
Of course not. And I made a mistake anyway. It wasn't 16th, it was 13th - Leslie Herman's Orwell's Chicago. It's simple, it's memorable (which means it's effective), and it's good art.

The only vote that was a slam dunk for me was Janee Meadows Lolita 1962, and it finished tied for 25th place. IMO, a very powerful poster.

As for art print, Waone's Edge of Time was my first choice, and it finished at 20th. The Phlegm would have been number two for me, but of course, we don't rank order.
fredo
Art God

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:03 pm

jjbehren wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:He makes a valid point. If Horkey wasn't attached to the name they wouldn't win. That's a pretty valid argument.
They also wouldn't be as good...
It's the same argument that MBW peeps occasionally make.
"If this was a Banksy..."
...it wouldn't exist.
just a foil for me today, thanks
haven
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:03 pm

I don't think those 3 winners would've made it into any of my top 10s.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 pm

haven wrote:I don't think those 3 winners would've made it into any of my top 10s.
The gigposter category was a great one this year. The others.... kinda meh.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:

He makes a valid point. If Horkey wasn't attached to the name they wouldn't win. That's a pretty valid argument.

Not so sure about Croatoan. That's been a long desired print by many Horkey fans for years.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm

This thread pretty much summarizes what EB has become since the LOST/MONDO craze kicked into high gear. Comical, kinda sad, random group think and so much drymounting whining :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
Not so sure about Croatoan. That's been a long desired print by many Horkey fans for years.
Not only was it a long-desired image but it was printed in '14 so I don't see the issue. Old image. New print. Wins again :lol:

I also agree with your take on FOTR... it was the culmination of the trilogy so I have a feeling that played a big part. I'm a big Horkey fan, but I was all about Welker's Dazed and Welker's WSP... along with Croatoan. Nothing that I saw, purchased, etc. even came close to that print in '14.

:cheers:
> THC X 9 <
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:

We'll just agree to disagree on that one as it's a circular argument i.e. If Sperry wasn't attached to the name it wouldn't win, yada, yada, yada...

:pint:
> THC X 9 <
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I think for many people the criteria was just the artist being Horkey.
Didn't help that Phlegm's contribution this year was a largely mediocre selection from his repertoire.
Duh. If FOTR wasn't released in 2014, remy would have won. Best rat poster eva!!!!
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
deancc
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 pm

It is weird that a poster that has barely been printed and mostly seen just off a jpeg won. However, if you think FotR would have received less votes once people had seen the real deal, you are drymounting tripping.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

comountaingolf wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
Not only was it a long-desired image but it was printed in '14 so I don't see the issue. Old image. New print. Wins again :lol:

I also agree with your take on FOTR... it was the culmination of the trilogy so I have a feeling that played a big part. I'm a big Horkey fan, but I was all about Welker's Dazed and Welker's WSP... along with Croatoan. Nothing that I saw, purchased, etc. even came close to that print in '14.

:cheers:
Yeah, I think the issue most people have with Croatoan was that it's an older image, not because it isn't a really badass piece of art. Doesn't surprise me at all that it won even with the issue that a few had with it.

Overall, I was all about Welker this year too. I voted for his Phish Alpharetta foil for gp. If there was an official "artist of the year" award he would have no doubt gotten my vote. Dude was on drymountin fire.
Last edited by Timbrh2001 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.