Reclaimed Frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Finished up another one today.
Before:

and

After:

On to the next one.
Small town pizza lawyer
saL
Art Expert

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Haven't checked this thread for a while, and right away I got all the inspiration I need!

keep up the good work fellas!
rmoore
Art Expert

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:44 pm

alteridiom wrote:Picked up a junky gold frame at a thrift store for $3 a year or two ago. Been sitting around collecting dust. Finally got inspired today to try and do something with it. Hobby Lobby FINALLY started carrying in stock acid free mattes so paid them a visit. All done in just a few hours and all for $25.
Awesome job!

Side note: photobucket cracks me up with their ads for buying framed prints of whatever photo you upload. I think I'm going to order one of these:

frame.jpg
alteridiom
Art Expert

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:50 pm

rmoore wrote:
alteridiom wrote:Picked up a junky gold frame at a thrift store for $3 a year or two ago. Been sitting around collecting dust. Finally got inspired today to try and do something with it. Hobby Lobby FINALLY started carrying in stock acid free mattes so paid them a visit. All done in just a few hours and all for $25.
Awesome job!

Side note: photobucket cracks me up with their ads for buying framed prints of whatever photo you upload. I think I'm going to order one of these:

frame.jpg
I rarely LOL but I done LOL'd.
Small town pizza lawyer
xjmjx
Art Expert

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Nice work on that reclaim job man. Couple of questions for you. From the looks of the OG, there were some pits and scars on that bad boy, did you just wood filler the hell out of it and sand it smooth? And what do you use to seal the paint, if anything? Looks super good!
Last edited by xjmjx on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:27 pm

alteridiom wrote:I finally found a flat black paint that gives me the look I've been after with my other frames. It cost $25.
That flat black finish is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I've been looking for.

Any chance you could break down your prepping and painting process? I make my own custom frames and as beautiful as they are before painting, I can never get the paint looking to my satisfaction (like yours look). I've tried several brands (spray and brush on) of flat, satin and semi. The best I've found so far is a Valspar (Lowes) Satin spray with fine grit sanding in between.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words.

This frame was little more of a pain in the butt than others. Typically they are beat up but just rough sanding them down with 120 grit and then working up to 300 grit will smooth everything out. This one had some large gouges as you can see. I just used wood filler and kept sanding down. Took my time with it and tried to fill and sand to as even finish as possible. It isn't perfect but I got it to look respectable.

Once I have it sanded down with 300 grit I start to paint. I have tried for ages to find a paint that gives me a nice flat black look. I've tried everything and had never been satisfied until I stumbled on to the spray paint section at Hobby Lobby. Who knew? I would never have guessed they carry spray paint. I haven't found it anywhere other than Hobby Lobby. It's Krylon Colormaster Cover Max flat black. It looks amazing. I take my time with painting as well. The urge is to just blast it on and get it done with but I try and do very quick passes and let it dry completely before going with another layer. It takes time but with all the edges frames have your gonna get some drips/runs/globs of paint at the corners. I also try and do some light sanding between coats with some 800 grit sandpaper from the auto parts store. I haven't sealed the paint with anything. I'd like to but afraid I'm gonna mess up something I'm already happy with. I need to experiment on some scraps.

One thing of note. From certain angles I can see the spots I used wood filler on. I guess in hindsight I should have done a layer or two of primer before painting. Even though the paint says it's a paint and primer I'm finding that it is never as good as just putting a layer of primer down first.

Hopefully that touched on everything.
Small town pizza lawyer
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:33 pm

alteridiom wrote:I haven't found it anywhere other than Hobby Lobby. It's Krylon Colormaster Cover Max flat black.
Following up on this, I can also confirm the Krylon Color Max Flat Black is amazing and is now my go to for frames. Not that it's an improvement either way but for those of you who are boycotting Hobby Lobby, Walmart now carries it as well. Got it for $3.49 a can last night.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Haven't been in here in a while. Too damn cold to be working out in the garage on frames. Come on Spring! Thanks for the heads up on Walmart carrying the Krylon. Picked up a HUGE frame today from Goodwill. The opening is 31" x 45". AND it had reflection control glass in it. I couldn't believe it. Priced at $29.99 but the guy ringing me up marked it down to $9.99 for me because the print had water damage :shock: I didn't say a damn thing. Already have the thing taken apart and thinking what to do with it.
Small town pizza lawyer
alteridiom
Art Expert

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Quiet in here. Framed up a Santora original for my buddy's birthday. Here is my most recent thrift store transformation.

From this:

To this:

Small town pizza lawyer
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:50 pm

This is more of a frame built from reclaimed wood than a reclaimed frame.... Wait. Forget it. Close enough.

Jon asked me a while back to build him a Nesting frame like mine, but when I found that blue wood I had a better idea.

The outside came from an old barn I've had the privilege of stealing from for the past few years. I think it fell the other day so hopefully salvaging will be less sketchy now. The inner frame came from an old house that was being torn down. It's nasty looking and full of old rusty nails. Just like I like it.

Here's dry fit to make sure everything is right.

Here's before and after prettying it up. Paint on the outer to match the keyline. The blue was dull so I washed it with some blue stain I had on hand to liven it up.

Here's the final product which I was very pleased with. Jon was too, but that's not important.

ImageX5 Hodor Image
Joesunday
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:59 pm

Perfectly executed!
Vedderman23
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 pm

srdzevon wrote: Here's the final product which I was very pleased with. Jon was too, but that's not important.
:lol:

Awesome job dude!
jcbudny
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 pm

srdzevon wrote:This is more of a frame built from reclaimed wood than a reclaimed frame.... Wait. Forget it. Close enough.

Jon asked me a while back to build him a Nesting frame like mine, but when I found that blue wood I had a better idea.

The outside came from an old barn I've had the privilege of stealing from for the past few years. I think it fell the other day so hopefully salvaging will be less sketchy now. The inner frame came from an old house that was being torn down. It's nasty looking and full of old rusty nails. Just like I like it.

Here's dry fit to make sure everything is right.

Here's before and after prettying it up. Paint on the outer to match the keyline. The blue was dull so I washed it with some blue stain I had on hand to liven it up.

Here's the final product which I was very pleased with. Jon was too, but that's not important.

Wow, great eye to put this all together from reclaimed wood.
THC x 3
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 pm

srdzevon wrote:This is more of a frame built from reclaimed wood than a reclaimed frame.... Wait. Forget it. Close enough.

Beautiful frame up. You have a good eye. Though I have to wonder if your theivery help bring that barn down... :lol:
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump