Best Way to Flatten

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Here is how I get my prints in between foam core without worry of damaging or scratching when they still have roll to them. Though I do let them sit out on their own for a bit it is not necessary. Place your glassine, buffered or unbuffered, AF watercolor paper etc.. on the foam matting. place your print on the foam core so it will be where it needs to be after you unroll it.I use glasses or bean bags to keep The corners down as I unroll it. Place your other sheet of AF material on top if it doesn't already have one sliding corner by corner under the weights till its flat and in position.
After that I use a heavy magazine such as Maxuim or Playboy to replace the weights on the corners. Place the magazines as such so the hang off the edges of the foam board. place the other foam board on top and center it with the bottom board. Now just apply very light pressure with your hand to one corner at a time and slide the magazines out. Boom done. Clip the edges or I use acid free masking tape.
I would also suggest not to place more than one print per foam board UNLESS your have extra protection in between like watercolor paper. You dont have to worry as much if the prints are the same size but make sure they are lined up perfectly or you can end up with bad corners and edges. The reason for the extra protection is to prevent this. Thats why stacking multiple prints of different sizes is not the best idea as the weight placed on top of the boards to flatten them can leave edge creases in the prints above and below the other ones.
You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
Billycane696
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Sithlord32 wrote:...make sure they are lined up perfectly or you can end up with bad corners and edges.
I've been worried about this recently, so I think it's time for a flatfile here pretty soon. Needless to say, I don't want to spend 600 dollars on one :lol: so could anyone refer me to a thread where people may sell flatfiles, specifically in Houston? Craigslist is super hit and miss
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Billycane696 wrote:
Sithlord32 wrote:...make sure they are lined up perfectly or you can end up with bad corners and edges.
I've been worried about this recently, so I think it's time for a flatfile here pretty soon. Needless to say, I don't want to spend 600 dollars on one :lol: so could anyone refer me to a thread where people may sell flatfiles, specifically in Houston? Craigslist is super hit and miss
People list what they find on-line if this thread

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=114298

You are way more likely to one on craigslist than a member on the board selling one in Houston.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Billycane696
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks for the link!