Grey Matter Art Appreciation & Release Thread

General art-related discussion.
jjdungca
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 am

These boys came out of the gate hot and ready! Figured I would help them out by getting a thread going!

http://greymatterart.com/

And of course, their first release info: http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspo ... r-Art.html
Randy-Ortiz-Cannibal-Holocaust-Movie-Poster-Regular.jpg
Randy-Ortiz-Cannibal-Holocaust-Movie-Poster-Variant.jpg
ImageImageImage
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 am

Nice work by Mr. Ortiz.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

Thank you so much for making this thread for us. We are so happy with Randy's work on this piece, and glad we can finally show it to everyone.
For more info on Grey Matter Art, please follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for our newsletter for all updates on upcoming news.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 am

sidewaysscott wrote:Nice work by Mr. Ortiz.
defintely...Randy always does...that being said..I'd never hang a Cannibal Holocaust poster
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

Always wondered how an artist would tackle the composition to invoke the feeling of the film but without being too graphic.

I think this is a solid job by Ortiz. The impalement scene is way too obvious and overdone and while the lurid style of the grindhouse covers works well to entice the viewers to watch the film, would be a bit much for a 24x36 print,imo..

This is in fact quite a classy print for such a lurid film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 am

rubberneck wrote:Always wondered how an artist would tackle the composition to invoke the feeling of the film but without being too graphic.

I think this is a solid job by Ortiz. The impalement scene is way too obvious and overdone and while the lurid style of the grindhouse covers works well to entice the viewers to watch the film, would be a bit much for a 24x36 print,imo..

This is in fact quite a classy print for such a lurid film.
This is exactly what we discussed with Randy regarding the project. When you think of this movie, usually people automatically think the impalement scene.
We really wanted to show Randy's skill with the detail of the jungle, and I really think he pulled it off well.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Cult Collective interview Grey Matter Art founders Mike and Jarod

http://cultcollective.co.uk/2014/03/24/ ... ndy-ortiz/

simianfever
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 am

Nicely done (somewhat) subdued poster for this film.

Theme music is great and surprisingly subdued as well...
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am

Nicely done by Ortiz and the GM team.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

The 2 disc release back in 2005 was a great package but even they received resistance to the design and packaging of the set from their printers due to the explicit artwork:

LOS ANGELES -- After fighting a difficult battle with printers over a graphic photo insert, Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing have at last prevailed in their mission to bring Ruggero Deodato's CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST to DVD.

No less than eight different printers refused to handle the artwork for Grindhouse's 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST during the final stages of the project. The company encountered further resistance from numerous binderies who likewise turned down the job of putting together the elaborate DVD package due to the inner sleeve design, which features an image of a nude woman impaled on a stake.

The stonewalling by printers caused a nerve-wracking last-minute delay in Grindhouse's production schedule, and ultimately cost the disc producers thousands of dollars in added expenses. "It was a real nightmare. We almost didn't make our street date because of these problems," says Murawski. "For a while, it seemed like nobody was going to take on the job. We had a similar problem years ago with our release of CANNIBAL FEROX, where we actually did make some changes in the artwork that we felt were appropriate. But we would never change our design to suit a printer's sensibilites. We put too much hard work into the project to back down."

lordhelmet
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

jkw3000 wrote:Nicely done by Ortiz and the GM team.
Thank you kind sir. We can't wait to show you some of the talented artists we have lined up for the year and the projects they are working on. Some really
great properties.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:17 am

Nice print.

Thanks for that rundown as well rubberneck. I've got that dvd package and it's damn good.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

Great first release, I love the work Randy does and I will no doubt be purchasing this. I can't see what other stuff you guys have lined up. +Twitter +Facebook +Mailing List ;)
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 am

slunkey wrote:Great first release, I love the work Randy does and I will no doubt be purchasing this. I can't see what other stuff you guys have lined up. +Twitter +Facebook +Mailing List ;)
Thank you so much for your support, I can't say how proud enough we are of Randy on this one. And we will also have other things coming from him this year, so look out for those too.
brewsky
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Your first release is Cannibal Holocaust. :shock: I like your style.