New guy question on 24x36 storage

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
ArK
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi just a quick question for the experts. I wanted a storage solution for the 24x36 prints I've collected which are currently in tubes. I've done some research and come up with this as my likely setup.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7416-mu ... yfont.aspx

And this

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3002-po ... -flap.aspx

I know it's a little expensive but I can't fit a flat file in my apt and I think it's a little bit better quality than any of the portfolios I've seen. I went with the L-shape sleeve as it said they were designed specifically for the box.

My question is with this setup would I still need the Mylar backers?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5489-ba ... 36-14.aspx

Thanks in advance
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:24 pm

a lot of people go with the picturesque portfolio, but this does seem cost effective. for very cheap you can use foamcore and glassine sheets between prints

cant speak to the quality of the sleeves, i have bought regularly from bags unlimited and have not had issues with their products, but also have not archaically stored anything. likely you would not need any type of backing. unless you were putting two posters in a single sleeve.

The L shape does seem to remove some of the anxiety of sliding a big print into the sleeve.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 pm

around here, a lot of people do bags + photo corners + foam board backers. seems to be the consensus around here.

or the picturesque portfolio. some complain about cost. some complain about the tightness of the pages.

i have sandwiched foam board for anything over the size. i use a picturesque for all my 24x36. have an itoya for my 18x24.

$.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
glenn1
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Wow, those are some pricey sleeves. I have some of these (link below) and they work great. Also MUCH cheaper.

http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/
appletree
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 pm

This thread may or may not be able to help you. Lots of information and links.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=130405
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:38 pm

You can do better on the backing boards as well if you're willing to buy in bulk. Grab these from Jerry's when they are running a free shipping + % off promo (GOLD14 is working right now).
T.H.C.
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:30 pm

not realy a fair comparison. the crystal are 1.6 mil and the ones the OP posted about 4 mil.

The picturesque sleeves run give or take 8 bucks a sleeve and are a better comp. I have never seen their thickness rated though.

personal opinion the crystal sleeves + board is not a bad bet, but def need a board. these sleeves probably do not NEED a board.
glenn1 wrote:Wow, those are some pricey sleeves. I have some of these (link below) and they work great. Also MUCH cheaper.

http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

flat file
glasine
foam board

I tried other methods, including sleeves and picturesque, but a flat file is the way to go.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
glenn1
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm sure you're right, it just seems like overkill to me. I've never stored anything in what looks to be a cardboard/cloth box, though. Hey, if he's got the cash, why the hell not.
maddoghoek100 wrote:not realy a fair comparison. the crystal are 1.6 mil and the ones the OP posted about 4 mil.

The picturesque sleeves run give or take 8 bucks a sleeve and are a better comp. I have never seen their thickness rated though.

personal opinion the crystal sleeves + board is not a bad bet, but def need a board. these sleeves probably do not NEED a board.
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:19 pm

im guessing he is like me. a bit limited on space in a NYC apartment. Plenty of under bed and under couch storage and not much else. so the box is a nice safety net and keeps dust away

i had an 18 x 24 portfolio under the couch and something got shoved under the couch and bent a page. thankfully only one crappy mystery tube print was injured in the process.
glenn1 wrote:I'm sure you're right, it just seems like overkill to me. I've never stored anything in what looks to be a cardboard/cloth box, though. Hey, if he's got the cash, why the hell not.
maddoghoek100 wrote:not realy a fair comparison. the crystal are 1.6 mil and the ones the OP posted about 4 mil.

ArK
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:im guessing he is like me. a bit limited on space in a NYC apartment. Plenty of under bed and under couch storage and not much else. so the box is a nice safety net and keeps dust away

i had an 18 x 24 portfolio under the couch and something got shoved under the couch and bent a page. thankfully only one crappy mystery tube print was injured in the process.
glenn1 wrote:I'm sure you're right, it just seems like overkill to me. I've never stored anything in what looks to be a cardboard/cloth box, though. Hey, if he's got the cash, why the hell not.

I actually posted the wrong sleeves earlier. The ones made to fit perfectly in this box are these

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-6957-po ... sfont.aspx

Maddog is correct. No room for a flat file. I'm a little north of you in Bronxville but the little extra room we had just got swallowed by a newborn and the wife has started to notice the ever increasing amount of poster tubes next to the couch.

Thanks fellas, I think I'm going to try the box and sleeve combo for under the bed for now and go from there. I'm hoping that between the box and the added thickness of these sleeves I should be all set. If this doesn't work I'll probably back track to the corners and poster board. I really appreciate the quick input and will let you know how it turns out.
ArK
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:48 pm

kcn0 wrote:flat file
glasine
foam board

I tried other methods, including sleeves and picturesque, but a flat file is the way to go.
I'll keep this in mind for when I upgrade to a house, thanks brother
Dnpayne
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Hey, I'm in the process of finding a flat file, but haven't had much luck. I was thinking about going this route in the meantime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Offex-Vertical- ... 3cc93b54a7

I would probably get the protective sleeves as well. What do you all think of this? I'm new so any help is appreciated.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Dnpayne wrote:Hey, I'm in the process of finding a flat file, but haven't had much luck. I was thinking about going this route in the meantime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Offex-Vertical- ... 3cc93b54a7

I would probably get the protective sleeves as well. What do you all think of this? I'm new so any help is appreciated.
That seems pretty expensive to me. At least in the LA area, you can usually get a decent used flat file for ~$200.
T.H.C.
Dnpayne
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Can't get the where I am. At least I haven't seen anything. The cheapest I've seen has been 300 and it was pretty junky. :/