Shipping / Storing folded posters

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
musicmusic

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi All, I am seeking recommendations on how to ship and / or movie and or concert posters that were originally folded. Is it preferential to ship them rolled? Also, is it a good idea to roll my folded posters to store them? My thinking is that every time I unfold a folded poster, it adds to the deterioration at the folds. Thx.
amb6883
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:59 pm

jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm

For storage, you can unfold them and store them flat. I suggest using some type of acid-free interleaving paper between posters.

If you don't have the space to store them flat, it's ok to keep them stored folded, as if in a filing cabinet. However, don't store/pile stacks of folded posters on top of each other, because the weight of the stacks can impact the posters at or near the bottom of the stack.

For shipping, the link above is good advice. Generally, once a poster has been folded, you don't want to ship in rolled. Rolling a folded poster introduces stress to the fold lines which is more likely to make them separate than otherwise. You are also adding new folds(in the process of rolling) to the paper which can be difficult to get out.
ImageX5