Flat File Help

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 pm

So I think my next purchase is going to be a flat file since the portfolios aren't cutting it. Plus, I need something permanent instead of worrying about storage. But since I haven't really had too much experience with them I was wondering what anyone's thoughts are on this guy:

http://www.bizchair.com/244876-244877-eel.html

It seems like this is the most reasonable price and includes a base as hell. If anyone has any other options just let me know.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm

tehhippy wrote:Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!

I'm in Philly and I checked CL a few times over the last month or two and nothing really came up. There was one for around $1,000 that was super nice but I don't really need all that jazz. I figured instead of going out and framing all my pieces right now, I need to settle into the house a bit and make sure the layout is right so I know what will go where. The flat file is still a cheaper option and will let me hold a boat load of prints.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:21 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
tehhippy wrote:Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!

I'm in Philly and I checked CL a few times over the last month or two and nothing really came up. There was one for around $1,000 that was super nice but I don't really need all that jazz. I figured instead of going out and framing all my pieces right now, I need to settle into the house a bit and make sure the layout is right so I know what will go where. The flat file is still a cheaper option and will let me hold a boat load of prints.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/for/4313315524.html

This might be relatively close, don't really know geography that well up by you. :P PM billyg, he is the zen master of CL search terms to find them.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

True, and yeah that's a good ways north or where I am at so after transportation, hassle and all that time....for an old flat file with some missing pieces it will bump the price up a decent amount. I think that maybe spending a little more up front might pay off for the long run especially since it includes the clamps, no dents, any of that.
Petro
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm

$386.99 for a new flat file with base included is a crazy good deal. Doesn't seem to tell you how much shipping would be though. Could be a deal breaker.
You will be advised via email (shipping amount) within 1-2 business days to obtain your approval before the order is processed.
FreeTheWestMemphis3
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Petro wrote:$386.99 for a new flat file with base included is a crazy good deal. Doesn't seem to tell you how much shipping would be though. Could be a deal breaker.
You will be advised via email (shipping amount) within 1-2 business days to obtain your approval before the order is processed.
Freight shipping to a residential address with a lift gate could cost around $100...give or take the carrier. Acessorial charges for residential and lift gate kills.
ErocAfellar wrote:Repubs don't want to cut government spending. They just want to cut government spending on things they don't agree with.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
thevintageguy

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 pm

jjttdw wrote:My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).
I just got a flat file as well. What do yall use to seperate the prints? I have a hobby lobby in my town but nothing acid-free there that I can find. Any advice on the economic side would be appreciated! Thx
soam24
Art Freak

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm

thevintageguy wrote:
jjttdw wrote:My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).
I just got a flat file as well. What do yall use to seperate the prints? I have a hobby lobby in my town but nothing acid-free there that I can find. Any advice on the economic side would be appreciated! Thx

Depends on the prints.

A lot I just have stacked on one another.

Most just separated with tissue paper
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm

thevintageguy wrote:
I store most of the 18x24 in itoya portfolios. The larger ones are sandwiched in between acid free foam core, separated by tissue. I've been picking around bags unlimited and I think I will pick some bags for most of the bigger ones.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart