Official Expresso Beans Art News.
sweetjesus
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 am

I'm one of those that rarely posts. Being lazy and really wanting to just crowdsource an answer, what prints might correlate with the peak new members number back in July '12 on the one graph? Thoughts?
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 am

sweetjesus wrote:I'm one of those that rarely posts. Being lazy and really wanting to just crowdsource an answer, what prints might correlate with the peak new members number back in July '12 on the one graph? Thoughts?
Don't know about gigposters, but Mondo wrapped up June with the "Summer of 1982" screening of The Thing with a Drew Struzan poster and July had the 10th Mystery Movie for Aaron Horkeys Return of the King w/ Elijah Wood followed immediately by a pretty huge SDCC with the Olly Moss Princess Mononoke and open edition Dark Knight Rises.

So half of the new members were noobs complaining about event exclusives, open editions, and/or making PB requests. The other half are probably Heathunter alts.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am

sweetjesus wrote:I'm one of those that rarely posts. Being lazy and really wanting to just crowdsource an answer, what prints might correlate with the peak new members number back in July '12 on the one graph? Thoughts?
San Diago Comi-Com (SDCC) most likely resulted in a bump in membership. pretty sure it's in July.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

electrachrome wrote:
San Diago Comi-Com (SDCC) most likely resulted in a bump in membership. pretty sure it's in July.
2012 SDCC for sure, tons of press coverage to just the right demographic
Cheese318
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:53 pm

I think the idea of making new members having a grace period and wait before they could post would hinder spammers like a previous poster suggested but in the end it wouldn't stop. That's how it is on another forum I used in the past. Not sure how long the grace period is but it would at least slow down the new member spamming. Plus once you see spamming by specific members do you deactivate the account right away? Having a grace period for new members and deactivating accounts of known spammers would be a good way to slow down the spamming
kushmeja
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 pm

electrachrome wrote:
murdock wrote:Can I ask what is actually done about the spam-bot situation? Seems like an all-time high, too... :(
upgraded forum software may be available to help combat this. unfortunately it's not my area of expertise.
we could eliminate the signature function for all members (or make it a pay privilege like GP does).
also eliminating the ability to link a website into a user profile would make the site less attractive to spammers/bots.

while we are not currently looking to limit member options or require payment for any site privileges, those options could be on the table if they remain a vulnerability that makes the site attractive to spammers.
Easy way to eliminate the spam bots is to put up a captcha, or make your own version. Essentially just need to show something as a picture that can be typed out, since bots can't interpret pics.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Tell that to the ticketmaster bots.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
aahnutz
EB Team

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Cheese318 wrote:I think the idea of making new members having a grace period and wait before they could post would hinder spammers like a previous poster suggested but in the end it wouldn't stop. That's how it is on another forum I used in the past. Not sure how long the grace period is but it would at least slow down the new member spamming. Plus once you see spamming by specific members do you deactivate the account right away? Having a grace period for new members and deactivating accounts of known spammers would be a good way to slow down the spamming
This is already taken care of. When's the last time you saw spam on the boards? We deal with numerous spammers daily. You guys just never see them.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
wneff
Art Expert

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:17 pm

The bots were annoying for a little while, then they were gone :clap: mods
jeffris11

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

the system should be set up so if you do not contribute, ie. donations, uplooading new art and so on. After a certain amount of time passes you get notified and if you dont respond.......see ya

We need real people, no bots.

my.02

Jeffris
CMS
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 am

theperfecttree wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
2012 SDCC for sure, tons of press coverage to just the right demographic
Also the Moss timed release of the Dark Knight poster.
Hippie
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am

I'm another one that rarely posts, but I'm on here nearly everyday, and I honestly don't know what spam you guys are referring to... Everything seems nice and clean to me.... in other words... please don't charge me for your awesome forum :notworthy:

and as an aside... made my first sale to a fellow beaner today :pint: :clap:
bone811
Art Expert

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 am

Hippie wrote:I'm another one that rarely posts, but I'm on here nearly everyday, and I honestly don't know what spam you guys are referring to... Everything seems nice and clean to me.... in other words... please don't charge me for your awesome forum :notworthy:

and as an aside... made my first sale to a fellow beaner today :pint: :clap:
I'm on all the time and never see spam. Some of the same old trolls are getting annoying though
mattlew69
Art Expert

Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 am

What happened to 50,000? We're almost at 60,000!!!! :shock:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Mods are too busy bumping FS threads and banning dudes for posting thermal-peen.gif.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.