EB's Facelift

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 am

EB is undergoing some changes in design to improve the user experience. Right now is it more of a pain than help to most members because it is in transition and not everything makes sense when navigating between old and new pages.

Member's will probably feel better bookmarking the new member portal instead of the home page. This page is quite sparse but in the near future will contain many tools useful to an active member.
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/

We are changing this because we want to build a solid platform for the future, correct the hacks of the past, and pave the way for new exciting features. We want to encourage new members with easy-to-use understandable functionality without harming the experts.

Please give us some time to make the transition. It is a completely volunteer effort. All the functionality is there. In the end it will be worth the pain.

Many members will not be happy about the change because they got used to the way it was. That is completely understandable. We intend this to be the last significant change to existing functionality because we know and feel that too.

Feel free to rant and rave in this thread or on this forum. We will read and honestly take into account each person's concerns. We are more than willing to make compromises in the interest of making things better for everyone.
smoove_b
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Have the links to artists' personal web pages disappeared? I can't seem to find them anymore. Thanks for your efforts!
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:05 pm

smoove_b wrote:Have the links to artists' personal web pages disappeared? I can't seem to find them anymore. Thanks for your efforts!
Where did you used to see them? I know they are still clickable on the art detail pages?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:08 pm

I used to be able to get to an artist's wiki page by clicking on their name in any entry. Now it brings up a portfolio of their work in the long "ebay" list format, but no details on the artist at the top (like it used to).
Tra la la la la...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 pm

I liked that feature alot. I used it all the time as a quick jump to their web sites. very useful for those artist who's web sites arn't thier name (like Rob Jones). an artist link to their WIKI page would suffice.
morst
EB Team

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Yamar wrote:I used to be able to get to an artist's wiki page by clicking on their name in any entry.
is there a little QUESTION MARK icon for you to click on?

try clicking the one next to the artist whose WIKI page you want to view. It works fine.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:43 pm

got it! thanks.

i know there is alot a work going on "under the hood" on this site and it will take a little...mabe alot... of P8¢ to figure out all the new stuff. My thanks to everyone who put in the hard work.
nimsu8
Art Expert

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm

It would be great if I jump to another person's list when they send me an email
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:31 pm

That would be great.
showmerockart
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:02 pm

nimsu8 wrote:It would be great if I jump to another person's list when they send me an email
:)
fs0652

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:12 am

i have to say i am hating one major flaw in this new format...

it is alot harder to do things like i used to...

for example i collect alot of pearl jam posters. so if i want to add new ones to my collection. i used to just search for pearl jam 2006 i got a big list of all available posters which showed both pictures AND it showed me if each poster was either a) in my collection already, b) in my in search of list, or c) in my for trade/sale list. this made it easy to quickly update your collection especially when you get a few new posters and cant remember if you added them to your collection yet or not... this made it very easy to see which posters i had marked out of the entire set of availble posters...

now you just see the posters and have to click on each one to see seperately or go to your collection, but in your collection you cant see posters that you didnt mark yet obviously... its alot harder to tell if you are "missing" posters for a year by a band or artist...

i dont know if that is easy to understand but i really hate this new format...
dougr
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 am

fs0652 wrote:i have to say i am hating one major flaw in this new format...

it is alot harder to do things like i used to...

for example i collect alot of pearl jam posters. so if i want to add new ones to my collection. i used to just search for pearl jam 2006 i got a big list of all available posters which showed both pictures AND it showed me if each poster was either a) in my collection already, b) in my in search of list, or c) in my for trade/sale list. this made it easy to quickly update your collection especially when you get a few new posters and cant remember if you added them to your collection yet or not... this made it very easy to see which posters i had marked out of the entire set of availble posters...

now you just see the posters and have to click on each one to see seperately or go to your collection, but in your collection you cant see posters that you didnt mark yet obviously... its alot harder to tell if you are "missing" posters for a year by a band or artist...

i dont know if that is easy to understand but i really hate this new format...
welcome to the forums fs0652 8)

i'm liking the new format in general, but agree that this was a really key feature i really miss! :cry:
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:42 pm

In response, I have extended the search availablity options to deal with this. That should be more effective than the previous method.
fs0652

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:50 pm

i think where you added "not in my ISO" etc you could also add the following filters:

in my ISO

in my collection

in my for sale / trade

then i would be happy as a little girl :wink:
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:59 pm

fs0652 wrote:i think where you added "not in my ISO" etc you could also add the following filters:

in my ISO

in my collection

in my for sale / trade

then i would be happy as a little girl :wink:
I had thought of this as well. But I was thinking that was in the trader pages. Since the search is so generalized, if we add it there, there will be limited functionality (ie it won't show the info you assigned to it).

So is that a good idea anyway? I am just curious what other would think of that.