Flattening prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
wneff
Art Expert

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 am

Somebody has probably mentioned this one before, but I think it's a good idea to let rolled prints rest unweighted for several days before trying to flatten. If the print was rolled for the first time quite recently (often the case with new posters), the paper fibers will relax a lot during the rest period. After a few days of resting like this, most paper will flatten quickly and easily.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 am

Can somebody chime in here and let me know if this is ok. Here's what I do:

-remove from tube and unroll
-lie print face down on a sheet of glassine, which is on some foam core
-after a few days, when the paper is less stubborn, I turn it over and place 4 small relatively light weights on each corner (weights vary on the roll of the print, usually dvd's/books etc)
-when it's flat enough to fit in a flat file drawer, I remove the weights and let it flatten naturally
-once flat, I sandwich the print between glassine sheets and foam core
mazdog
Art Expert

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

/\ perfect
Dreamcast
New User

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:18 am

So I'm rather new to this whole poster game, and I've already gone out and bought some frames with non-glare UV resistant glass and acid-free foamcore backing.

Currently I have two prints sitting downstairs on my table ("The Thing" variant by Jock and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" by Graham Erwin) which have been sitting out slightly rolled to avoid pressure from the tubes.

My question: is the next step to weigh down the corners (either with the white tube ends or some sort of glass) and let it sit for a few days?

Honestly I'm super paranoid about running these prints. I'm not the type to get upset over a tiny mark or anything, as I never plan on selling these, but I don't want any creases or nicked edges like with some older posters I put on my wall from the cinema.

Also, first time post!
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Dreamcast wrote:So I'm rather new to this whole poster game, and I've already gone out and bought some frames with non-glare UV resistant glass and acid-free foamcore backing.

Currently I have two prints sitting downstairs on my table ("The Thing" variant by Jock and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" by Graham Erwin) which have been sitting out slightly rolled to avoid pressure from the tubes.

My question: is the next step to weigh down the corners (either with the white tube ends or some sort of glass) and let it sit for a few days?

Honestly I'm super paranoid about running these prints. I'm not the type to get upset over a tiny mark or anything, as I never plan on selling these, but I don't want any creases or nicked edges like with some older posters I put on my wall from the cinema.

Also, first time post!
the end caps from the tubes might not be enough weight, I use those and put something ontop of it. you can use anything you find in the house as long as it's flat ... I've used coasters, books (I use a sheet of glassine so the book doesn't smear anything on the print), and weights ....
Gutkinjs

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 pm

When you guys say that you let a print relax a few days to let it uncurl naturally, do you lay the poster face down or stand it up and let it uncurl that way?
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:13 am

Gutkinjs wrote:When you guys say that you let a print relax a few days to let it uncurl naturally, do you lay the poster face down or stand it up and let it uncurl that way?
I stopped bothering to let it relax and just straight up put the corners under weight since I've found that relaxing the print doesn't really do much unless you're going to let it sit for months. I would squeeze in a wood plank that's wrapped in glassine that covers the entire edge of the print and put weight on it and then put another plank ontop of it and then slide the top plank over the print carefully as i'm unrolling it. I've never created any chub rub or damaged any of my prints this way.

edit .... this goes for thicker prints. with fairey prints which are fairly thin i'll just put something on the corners and let it be, if it's straight from a drop or from a source where I know the print was stored flat until being rolled for shipping I would just put it right into the portfolio and they'll flatten out easily
Chylo

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm rather new to collecting prints, but I've recently been thinking of a solution for my flattening needs.

Procedure would be as follows:
Take prints out of tubes, allow them to naturally uncurl.
Add weights to the corners to flatten gradually for a couple days.
Place between two sheets of glassine and then two large pieces of foamcore.
Place one Linnmon table top from IKEA on top as a distributed weight.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... #/00251135
Transfer to storage.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:06 am

Is it possible to get a print 100% flat? All of mine have a slight roll at each end, of around half an inch.
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 am

wottagunn wrote:Is it possible to get a print 100% flat? All of mine have a slight roll at each end, of around half an inch.
yes, it's possible to get it completely flat but a small curve at the top and bottom isn't a big deal since it's still easily to frame
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 am

KennyRE317 wrote:
wottagunn wrote:Is it possible to get a print 100% flat? All of mine have a slight roll at each end, of around half an inch.
yes, it's possible to get it completely flat but a small curve at the top and bottom isn't a big deal since it's still easily to frame
The slight roll can be annoying in the flat file though. That's the issue.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:41 am

Then invest in a set of iwish custom bean bags
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 am

Got those too. Only 4 though. Shipping is a lot to Australia
wapalms
Art Expert

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 am

wottagunn wrote:Got those too. Only 4 though. Shipping is a lot to Australia
Fill a clean sock with wheat (Gluten free) tie a knot in the open end, Bobs ya uncle, or sown it up if your skillfull :D
Image Image X2
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am

wapalms wrote:
wottagunn wrote:Got those too. Only 4 though. Shipping is a lot to Australia
Fill a clean sock with wheat (Gluten free) tie a knot in the open end, Bobs ya uncle, or sown it up if your skillfull :D
Ah good work mate :thumb: