No Ball Games 09 Banksy

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
disdig1
Art Expert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

thebends9 wrote:Yeah, great marketing
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:10 pm

What a great concept - i might also have to find an excuse to change my Christmas/new years accommodation option for my stay in Melbourne. also loving the retail value of AUD$15K. Might even let my green NBG go if someone gave me that much.
Shoot me a PM and for A$15K it is yours :wink:

kudos to the hotels too for getting involved in this idea.
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

This should be interesting:

eBay 130686991934
s_k_y
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 am

MooreSaxPlease wrote:This should be interesting:

eBay 130686991934
$5.1k with two days left. I wonder how the second auction starting out at $.01 will affect this one.
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 12:19 pm

s_k_y wrote:

eBay 130686991934
$5.1k with two days left. I wonder how the second auction starting out at $.01 will affect this one.
Will be an interesting finish I think.. .
tw1

Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

MooreSaxPlease wrote:
s_k_y wrote:

eBay 130686991934

This is the second time in less than a month that I've watched the same seller run the NBG Green auction up to $4-$5k then pull it with more than 2 days left. Very odd.
summoner
Art Freak

Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 pm

tw1 wrote:
MooreSaxPlease wrote:
s_k_y wrote:

eBay 130686991934

This is the second time in less than a month that I've watched the same seller run the NBG Green auction up to $4-$5k then pull it with more than 2 days left. Very odd.
Me thinks they are playing the shell game, or they only have a 5K selling limit.
Image Image Image
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Cold feet perhaps?

Edit: Or maybe the fact that a 2nd NBG showed up to the party.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Banksy's No Ball Games mural removed from Tottenham wall
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23461396

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
phearloathing
Art Expert

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Currently ISO of a green (print not wall)
rka00
Art Expert

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:41 pm

naturevsscience wrote:
mbrennan wrote:no I mean the meaning behind "no ball games" image etc ... I don't get it
The children are proceeding to play what's considered a "ball game" with with an object which is not a ball and states that no ball games shall be played. Ironic? Yes. Simple? Yes.

For more information about laws prohibiting ball games see the below link.
http://www.welhat.gov.uk/housing/counci ... /ballgames

Apparently, the info was taken down from the Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council site, here is what it said:

WELWYN HATFIELD BOROUGH COUNCIL
Ball Games
Every summer the council receives a lot of complaints about children playing ball games in public places. This section of our site explains the council's view and offers some advice as to how the issue may be tackled in your area.

Why are ball games a problem?
In general, ball games are a lot of fun for the young people playing them and a source of disturbance for those who are not. Unfortunately, this is something that cannot be changed and, in extreme cases, causes a lot of friction in neighbourhoods that would otherwise be very peaceful.
Children have a right to play as well as a need to enjoy physical exercise and interaction with other youngsters. Play is crucial to a child's development as a social, confident member of society and should be encouraged. However, everyone has a right to enjoy their home quietly, protect their property and have their wishes respected by their neighbours.
Welwyn Hatfield is home to a lot of young people, and also features many open green areas that might seem ideal as a venue for a game. Many of these green areas are on housing estates and there is often only a small distance between greenery and residents' front gardens. It is therefore easy to see why complaints are made.
However, in most of the complaints we receive it is not the playing of ball games that is the problem, rather the manner in which they are conducted and by whom.
The extent to which ball games disturb residents can be changed - the key is to reach a compromise that satisfies everybody.
Very young children playing a game of football with an air-filled plastic ball are less likely to offend because they simply do not have the strength to hit a ball very hard. For example, if an eight-year old accidentally kicks a 'beach'-style ball at a window, annoying though this may be to some, it is unlikely to cause damage.
However, if a twelve year-old hits a leather football, cricket ball or basketball at a car or window there is a risk of damage and any victim would, understandably, be upset.

Action that residents can take
If residents are to be able to live without worrying about their property and possessions, games involving older children and leather or heavier objects should not take place in residential areas.
In a borough such as Welwyn Hatfield, where green spaces are plentiful, the council believes that it is appropriate for older children to go to a nearby field where they can play ball without upsetting others.
Some parents, when faced with this issue state that they are concerned that young people are not safe when away from the house unsupervised. As a solution, in many areas a rota is devised so that concerned parents take it in turns to go to a nearby park or field with the local children. It is also very important to remember that even quiet residential roads are used by cars. If a moving vehicle has to swerve to avoid either a ball or a child the results could be serious.

Tips for keeping the peace
Please make sure that ball games in your neighbourhood:
• use only light, plastic, air-filled balls
• involve young children (under 10s) who cannot play elsewhere
• do not take place after 7 o'clock at night
• do not take place on busy roads where vehicles pass frequently
• show concern for the rights of other residents
• are not played in car parks or garage blocks
Please also make sure that young people and older children in your care:
• go to a field or park nearby to play
• have parental supervision on a rota basis if there are safety concerns
• show an understanding of the way that ball games can affect others

Action that the council can take
The playing of ball games is not against the law and as a result the council will not be installing "No ball games" signs, as these are not enforceable.
Nonetheless, persistent ball games, played recklessly and leading to risk of property damage are nothing less than anti-social behaviour, something that the council takes very seriously.
We take a neutral, balanced view on the issue of ball games and expect residents to work together to reach a compromise. However, in extreme cases of deliberate nuisance we may use our powers to intervene.
If you wish to make a report of serious nuisance please put your complaint in writing to your Neighbourhood Housing Office.
Follow this link for the Council's leaflet on Ball Games
This page was last updated on 2 April 2009
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm

I didn't get it at first either. Once it was explained to me I love it.

Simple brilliance.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm

from my last trip to the UK to visit my grandma.
ImageT.K.C.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Sun May 11, 2014 4:15 pm

T-Dub13
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 18, 2014 12:08 pm

I tried to frame it as close to the gallery as I could.