Pearl Jam Gorge 06 Ames

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.

Postby automator on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:59 am

This topic is dedicated to: Pearl Jam Gorge 06 Ames

Image
automator
Nobody
 
Status: Active
Posts: 103976
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 am

Postby thegig on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:31 pm

weak sauce. such a shame to follow up that other awesome Gorge poster with this POS.
User avatar
thegig
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3154
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: rva

Postby Flimby on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Flimby
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10096
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:00 am

Postby thegig on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:10 pm

exactly.
User avatar
thegig
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3154
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: rva

Postby BrodysDad on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:25 pm

this one is actually pretty good. i think it's funny how EMEK is a god for stealing Ukiyoes from Japanese artists, but Ames stinks cos they borrowed some of their own work. seems like a doublestandard if you ask me...
Last edited by BrodysDad on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrodysDad
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 am

Postby Flimby on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:40 pm

BrodysDad wrote:this one is actually pretty good. i think it's funny how EMEK is a god for stealing Ukiyoes from Japanese artists, but Ames stinks cos they borrowed some of their own work. seems like a doublestandard if you as me...


I don't think it is a double standard.
Personally, I don't have a problem with artists using previous art print imagery for gigposters and vice versa. Ames and others have done it before.

For me the main problem is that the majority of this leg's Ames prints were just so visually unappealing and overly political. That, combined with this being a rehash of a 3 year old gigposter makes me wonder if Ames is running out of ideas.
Flimby
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10096
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:00 am

Postby thegig on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:54 pm

I don't have any problem with reusing or "stealing" images either. One of my favorite posters of all time does exactly that:
Image

The thing I don't like about this poster is the same thing Flimby mentioned. It's boring and lazy. Not to mention the fact that the gorilla image has been used by Ames several times before. Is it a terrible poster? No. There have been worse ones on this tour alone. But the gorilla is just "played out," whereas a lot of artists who "steal" or "pay homage to" other images tweak it a bit and are smart enough to use classic, timeless images instead of a cheap ripoff of Grape Ape.
User avatar
thegig
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3154
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: rva

Postby jasone6 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:56 pm

... incredibly weak execution, and using old work to boot. At leat the ones before (posted above) were well executed, whatever you think of the politcal commentary.

...and it just makes me want to scream: GET OVER IT!!!! George W. Bush is President. I'm not saying "so what?", but I am saying that their opposition to him doesn't have to permeate every friggin' aspect of their being.

20 years from now, people are going to look back and wonder WTF they were thinking by including Dick Cheney and GWB on all these posters. They (both PJ and Ames Bros.) have so many great qualities by which they can define themselves....but to define yourself so much by your opposition to one man or idea is dumb, and also does both PJ and Ames a huge disservice.

Just my $.02
jasone6
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:00 am

Postby rolub on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Flimby wrote:For me the main problem is that the majority of this leg's Ames prints were just so visually unappealing and overly political. That, combined with this being a rehash of a 3 year old gigposter makes me wonder if Ames is running out of ideas.


Emek's running similar themes with the willie and ben harper posters. that, combined with his pj submission being a rehash of a 3-year old artprint that was already a re-hash of another image, makes me wonder if Emek is running out of ideas.
User avatar
rolub
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:00 am

Postby Flimby on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:04 pm

rolub wrote:
Flimby wrote:For me the main problem is that the majority of this leg's Ames prints were just so visually unappealing and overly political. That, combined with this being a rehash of a 3 year old gigposter makes me wonder if Ames is running out of ideas.


Emek's running similar themes with the willie and ben harper posters. that, combined with his pj submission being a rehash of a 3-year old artprint that was already a re-hash of another image, makes me wonder if Emek is running out of ideas.


touche :D
Flimby
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10096
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:00 am

Postby sasquatch on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Flimby wrote:
BrodysDad wrote:this one is actually pretty good. i think it's funny how EMEK is a god for stealing Ukiyoes from Japanese artists, but Ames stinks cos they borrowed some of their own work. seems like a doublestandard if you as me...


I don't think it is a double standard.
Personally, I don't have a problem with artists using previous art print imagery for gigposters and vice versa. Ames and others have done it before.

For me the main problem is that the majority of this leg's Ames prints were just so visually unappealing and overly political. That, combined with this being a rehash of a 3 year old gigposter makes me wonder if Ames is running out of ideas.


Actually, I don't think it's a rehash. It's an improvement. What's the size?
User avatar
sasquatch
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3926
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 am

Postby turnJBup on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:09 pm

jasone6 wrote:... incredibly weak execution, and using old work to boot. At leat the ones before (posted above) were well executed, whatever you think of the politcal commentary.

...and it just makes me want to scream: GET OVER IT!!!! George W. Bush is President. I'm not saying "so what?", but I am saying that their opposition to him doesn't have to permeate every friggin' aspect of their being.

20 years from now, people are going to look back and wonder WTF they were thinking by including Dick Cheney and GWB on all these posters. They (both PJ and Ames Bros.) have so many great qualities by which they can define themselves....but to define yourself so much by your opposition to one man or idea is dumb, and also does both PJ and Ames a huge disservice.

Just my $.02
Wake up.
turnJBup
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7090
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Postby jasone6 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:46 pm

I'm awake... did you have something intelligent to say? I'm all ears.
jasone6
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:00 am

Postby housedog777 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:14 am

all said...

ames and emek are artists with plenty of ideas and i am guessing a TON of requests for work.

secondly, pearl jam and artists are one of the strongest and effective voices we have on educating the masses

thirdly, bush is an egomaniac hick and cheney is a bad hunter

lastly, i don't give a sh!t what anyone says...a gorilla in a wagon is HYSTERICAL

i may not buy the print but, i wish i had the talent to do that stuff

all the best to all of you!
User avatar
housedog777
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:00 am
Location: midbest

Postby sasquatch on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:34 pm

housedog777 wrote:all said...

ames and emek are artists with plenty of ideas and i am guessing a TON of requests for work.

secondly, pearl jam and artists are one of the strongest and effective voices we have on educating the masses

thirdly, bush is an egomaniac hick and cheney is a bad hunter

lastly, i don't give a sh!t what anyone says...a gorilla in a wagon is HYSTERICAL

i may not buy the print but, i wish i had the talent to do that stuff

all the best to all of you!


Amen, bro. All this griping about the antiwar messages in these posters is pretty laughable and confusing, considering that it is the central theme of the new PJ album. I'm just glad Ames and PJ have the guts to keep poking at the prez. And this is certainly an improvment on the old Bush ape poster. Of course, considering the show was at The Gorge, Bush as Bigfoot might have worked better.
Last edited by sasquatch on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sasquatch
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3926
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 am

Next

Return to Art Comments



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dwlfennell, Google [Bot], mfaith, Minolta70, Opticblast, UrsusMorris, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests