acid free backing board

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 pm

where is a good place to buy acid free backing boards?

im looking to buy the 40 7/16"x30 1/4" crystal clear bags from frame destination, and would like to put backing boards to help support the prints, but cant seem to find any online large enough.

http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/

any help would be greatly appreciated.
ImageImage
ISO...
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:Posted this in another thread:
SurfingJeff wrote:For extra safely and to aid in flattening, I've started using backing boards (along with poly bags) on some of my more valuable prints. I searched around quite a bit, and the best price I could find was on acid free "mounting" boards from Jerry's Artarama. You can get them in packs of 25 here. Last week, they were running a promotion with a 25% off coupon so it came out to $172 shipped for 50 boards - a cost of $3.44 each. Comparable boards at Bagsunlimited (like these) cost $437 shipped for 50 ($8.74 each), so it's a pretty significant savings.

I then mount the prints to the boards with mylar corners, and slip them in the 30 x 40 polys bags from Frame Destination. The total storage cost per print ends up around $6, which is high enough that you won't want to do it for everything. However, for nice stuff, it seems a lot safer over the long haul and makes it quite a bit easier to dig around in your flat file.
The boards from Jerry's end up being slightly too large (32 x 40) so I cut them using a knife and a ruler, but it's pretty straightforward. I also feel a bit better buying acid-free products from a well known manufacturer like Crescent, instead of some anonymous source.
My local Blick actually carries these in store and lets you buy one at a time, in case you want to try them out before buying 50. Cost is higher though - maybe like $5 or $6/board.
T.H.C.
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23 pm

thanks for info. much appreciated.
ImageImage
ISO...
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 pm

just buy standard 32X40 boards and cut them down... your cost should be around $5 each
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:20 am

just wanted to thank jeff for the info. i ended up buying from the dick blick website and they even cut the boards for me.
this is what i spent a few hours doing the other night.

ImageImage
ISO...
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 am

:pint:

Glad I could help you out. Doesn't it feel goodto have your prints all safely snuggled up until they can find a nice spot on you wall?
T.H.C.
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:17 am

SurfingJeff wrote::pint:

Glad I could help you out. Doesn't it feel goodto have your prints all safely snuggled up until they can find a nice spot on you wall?
it does. before this they were all in one foamcore sandwich, which was then sandwiched between two pieces of mdf. i think having them this way is also helping them flatten better than the sandhich with weights.
ImageImage
ISO...
joshua
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 am

plus they are a lot easier to look through this way.

a few of my favorites...

ImageImage
ISO...