The official IWish weight bag thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm

IWish wrote:Mystery solved! There was a discrepancy in the width of the inner bag between the prototype I used in the video and Time's bags - a difference of 1/2 inch. It's just a matter of sending him new inner bags.

In the past, heavier bags have been requested. Unfortunately, when shipping filled bags, I'm held to a max of 4lbs. (overseas), so making a larger bag (as standard) isn't an option. This resulted in the need to make/ship larger bags ( ships flat-unfilled) while offering a heavier bag, once filled.

We'll see how it goes with the new inner bags, Time. I'll pm you when I send them out...come back and post your results. 'kay?
anyway to do a set or two with velcro sewn in where the bag comes back over the top. I think I would be able to use bb's in them if the inside where to be velcro closed.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 am

Ha! Time...you have been a big help. Thanks for that.

TFFWB, I need to find velcro that I can sew to adhere. I'm working on it. The solution needs to be something that can be done quick/easy... with minimal amount of additional labor/time. Fortunately, because of the way these are designed, velcro would only be necessary on the inner bag (when using bb's to fill). Now that I think of it...bb's in the new bags - damn, those will be some heavy ass bags. Maybe a better idea would be making standard size bags as self-closers w/velcro...didn't you mention that yours (w/bb's) weighed close to a pound?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 am

IWish wrote:Ha! Time...you have been a big help. Thanks for that.

TFFWB, I need to find velcro that I can sew to adhere. I'm working on it. The solution needs to be something that can be done quick/easy... with minimal amount of additional labor/time. Fortunately, because of the way these are designed, velcro would only be necessary on the inner bag (when using bb's to fill). Now that I think of it...bb's in the new bags - damn, those will be some heavy ass bags. Maybe a better idea would be making standard size bags as self-closers w/velcro...didn't you mention that yours (w/bb's) weighed close to a pound?
yep. 1 lb per pag.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 am

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
brndfrmd wrote:
IWish wrote:
time wrote: Maybe using the smaller gems has something to do with it?
I suppose, but It's not like you can change the molecular structure of glass. ;) The gems I use are larger (diameter of a penny/nickel) this would only result in me using less of them to fill bags...weight should still be about the same if you're using smaller gems - just more of them.

Good information, though. Now we know that smaller diameter gems make for lighter bags. Why? I dunno'...I'm stumped.
Glass can have different weight and densities, that's why some glass is shatter proof etc...
But! If they are the same brand of gems and just a smaller size, I don't see a reason why a container(weight bag) would hold a different weight of an item based on size.
Especially less oz. of the small gems.
check out the big brain on Brett! :P
Fixed. Sounds like Brad, but it's actually Brett
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm

image.jpg
Just got these in they are great hope I sized them okay they looked good when I
previewed them
ksn
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
brndfrmd wrote:
IWish wrote:
I suppose, but It's not like you can change the molecular structure of glass. ;) The gems I use are larger (diameter of a penny/nickel) this would only result in me using less of them to fill bags...weight should still be about the same if you're using smaller gems - just more of them.

Good information, though. Now we know that smaller diameter gems make for lighter bags. Why? I dunno'...I'm stumped.
Glass can have different weight and densities, that's why some glass is shatter proof etc...
But! If they are the same brand of gems and just a smaller size, I don't see a reason why a container(weight bag) would hold a different weight of an item based on size.
Especially less oz. of the small gems.
check out the big brain on Brett! :P
Fixed. Sounds like Brad, but it's actually Brett
Brabra
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

or El Bretterino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing...
hulings
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:48 pm

hey IWish, these bags are perfect and awesome and so many other superlatives. Got here super quick too! thanks!
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm

hulings wrote:hey IWish, these bags are perfect and awesome and so many other superlatives. Got here super quick too! thanks!
I think the rule is you must show pictures... :)
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:38 pm

He ordered the white bags. ;)
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 pm

IWish wrote:He ordered the white bags. ;)
how utilitarian of him! :)
hulings
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:02 am

IWish wrote:He ordered the white bags. ;)
how utilitarian of him! :)
I'm impatient! :hanging:
balleetgirl121
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 am

I was one for the winners of the competition IWish ran for her new design weight bags. The purpose of this competition was for the winners to test the newly redesigned bags and provide feedback, so here goes…

The new design is comprised of two bags and “filling” (I used glass stones) which the receiver provides themself, this is how shipping costs a kept down.
The inner bag is easy to fill and the flip top holds the beads (or whatever filling one chooses) in securely. Placing the newly filled inner bag into the outer bag (which is the bag with the image on it) is simple you just give it a little jiggle and it slides into its resting place, all you have to do then is flip the outer top over and you’re done. I must say it is a trial and error process as to how much “filling” you can put into the inner bag and still be able to close the top. All in all once you figure out how much “filling” to put into the inner bag the process takes maybe, 2/3 minutes and requires little concentration. Yay for multi-tasking (I did mine while watching TV) :D

I have tested the bags to make sure the filling doesn’t fall out… thrown & shaken them around that sort of thing… no surprise in saying, nothing fell out! I have no doubt this is largely due, in part to the way the bag has been designed not to mention the inner bag is measured to fit perfectly into the outer bag.

On a personal level I always enjoy and appreciate an item that has been well made and for this all I can say thank you to IWish (Susan) for allowing me to take part in the review process and along the way score some free weight bags. :notworthy: The bags are excellent quality and the new redesign allows a really great product to reach more customers while keeping shipping costs down. This equals more money for IWish weight bags, which is what we all want anyway?!
ISO - Tori Amos Washington DC 07 Strawberryluna
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:38 am

Here's pics of balleetgirls bags. She needed them resized, so I'm posting for her.

Excellent review, balleetgirl. You have covered all the important aspects of the new bags. The new design is largely due to my intention in making bags that are larger, but also do not require any sewing to close - which is why I recommend using the glass gems to fill. These are much less expensive to ship and since I can ship flat there is no need for these to go through customs (takes 7-10 working days to reach overseas destination.)

Time has submitted his review...also positive (new inner bags are on the way to him today). I look forward to hearing from him, once received. We're aiming for heavier 3/4lb bags.

evilpresence has also reviewed with a positive response making a total of three positives. Yay!

I'll be updating my store by adding this new self-closing (SC Series) bag set. I feel confident adding these as a new product now that we've gone through the testing phase.

Next up, redesign of the smaller/standard size bags (SC Series) for those who prefer to fill w/bb's...also to be shipped flat/unfilled.

Thanks to all for participating in the beta bag test. 8)
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 am

IWish wrote:Here's pics of balleetgirls bags. She needed them resized, so I'm posting for her.

Excellent review, balleetgirl. You have covered all the important aspects of the new bags. The new design is largely due to my intention in making bags that are larger, but also do not require any sewing to close - which is why I recommend using the glass gems to fill. These are much less expensive to ship and since I can ship flat there is no need for these to go through customs (takes 7-10 working days to reach overseas destination.)

Time has submitted his review...also positive (new inner bags are on the way to him today). I look forward to hearing from him, once received. We're aiming for heavier 3/4lb bags.

evilpresence has also reviewed with a positive response making a total of three positives. Yay!

I'll be updating my store by adding this new self-closing (SC Series) bag set. I feel confident adding these as a new product now that we've gone through the testing phase.

Next up, redesign of the smaller/standard size bags (SC Series) for those who prefer to fill w/bb's...also to be shipped flat/unfilled.

Thanks to all for participating in the beta bag test. 8)
Yay! Go get 'em Sue!