The official IWish weight bag thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

piratesprayer wrote:which one do you choose in the store if you want a set with custom images?
mystery bags, then send her a message with the images you want
Top ISO: John Waters Marathon 07 by Little Friends of Printmaking
time
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 pm

As a lucky winner for the test of the self-closing bags, the process was pretty smooth. One thing to note, in the picture of the gems it shows 12 oz. (3/4 lb) which is how much I first tried based on IWish's video. By the way, I used the smaller sized glass gems. However, when I tried to fill the inner bag with that much it was impossible to get the flap over so I had to remove to about 8 oz. Once I did that, it all worked out very simply and ended up looking very nice (I think).
empty bags.jpg
gems.jpg
Filled bags.jpg
Thanks again Susan!
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Time,

I'm not sure where the discrepancy lies.. In my video, I used a new/unopened bag of gems (14oz. bag). The unused gems are lying on my desk pad in the background. I estimated aprox 2oz of unused gems from that bag. I weighed the bag shown in the video on a manual postage scale and the bag weight was aprox 13oz. Given the information you provided, I took the bag with me to the post office and used the digital scale - the bag weighed 12.7 oz. ??? You started with 12 oz and removed 8 oz. leaving a bag that weighs 4oz...? I'm hard pressed making sense out of the difference between what you've discovered and my results.

B- I know, for certain that the new (larger)bags weigh more than 4oz. I weighed one of the smaller/standard bags and it weighed 8.6oz. Very curious...and a bit perplexing.
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 pm

IWish wrote:Time,

I'm not sure where the discrepancy lies.. In my video, I used a new/unopened bag of gems (14oz. bag). The unused gems are lying on my desk pad in the background. I estimated aprox 2oz of unused gems from that bag. I weighed the bag shown in the video on a manual postage scale and the bag weight was aprox 13oz. Given the information you provided, I took the bag with me to the post office and used the digital scale - the bag weighed 12.7 oz. ??? You started with 12 oz and removed 8 oz. leaving a bag that weighs 4oz...? I'm hard pressed making sense out of the difference between what you've discovered and my results.

B- I know, for certain that the new (larger)bags weigh more than 4oz. I weighed one of the smaller/standard bags and it weighed 8.6oz. Very curious...and a bit perplexing.
I think he is saying they weighed 8oz after removing some.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Something is still off. Time, are you sure the gems are glass? Could they possibly be acrylic?
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm

brndfrmd wrote:
piratesprayer wrote:which one do you choose in the store if you want a set with custom images?
mystery bags, then send her a message with the images you want
sweet thanks
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
time
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm

brndfrmd wrote:
IWish wrote:Time,

I think he is saying they weighed 8oz after removing some.
Correct. I started by trying 12 oz and removed enough to get down to just over 8 oz. If I forced more of them into it I might have been able to get it to a little over 9 oz. Maybe using the smaller gems has something to do with it? These are the gems I used: http://www.joann.com/panacea-products-p ... 08186546a/ They had them in the smaller size and the normal size (like the ones you had in the video).
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 pm

time wrote: Maybe using the smaller gems has something to do with it?
I suppose, but It's not like you can change the molecular structure of glass. ;) The gems I use are larger (diameter of a penny/nickel) this would only result in me using less of them to fill bags...weight should still be about the same if you're using smaller gems - just more of them.

Good information, though. Now we know that smaller diameter gems make for lighter bags. Why? I dunno'...I'm stumped.
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 pm

IWish wrote:
I suppose, but It's not like you can change the molecular structure of glass. ;) The gems I use are larger (diameter of a penny/nickel) this would only result in me using less of them to fill bags...weight should still be about the same if you're using smaller gems - just more of them.

Good information, though. Now we know that smaller diameter gems make for lighter bags. Why? I dunno'...I'm stumped.
Glass can have different weight and densities, that's why some glass is shatter proof etc...
But! If they are the same brand of gems and just a smaller size, I don't see a reason why a container(weight bag) would hold a different weight of an item based on size.
Especially less oz. of the small gems.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

brndfrmd wrote:
IWish wrote:

Glass can have different weight and densities, that's why some glass is shatter proof etc...
But! If they are the same brand of gems and just a smaller size, I don't see a reason why a container(weight bag) would hold a different weight of an item based on size.
check out the big brain on brad! :P

and if your name really is brad that would be hilarious!
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
brndfrmd wrote:
IWish wrote:

check out the big brain on brad! :P

and if your name really is brad that would be hilarious!
That would've been great. Sadly, it's not.
After reading what I wrote I had a flashback of watching Bill Nye
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

lol...funny exchange there, guys.

No, they are not the same brand. I think Time's are just full of air bubbles. :D I sent him the link of the brand I use.
time
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 pm

IWish wrote:lol...funny exchange there, guys.

No, they are not the same brand. I think Time's are just full of air bubbles. :D I sent him the link of the brand I use.
I'm going to buy the exact ones IWish used and see what happens....
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Mystery solved! There was a discrepancy in the width of the inner bag between the prototype I used in the video and Time's bags - a difference of 1/2 inch. It's just a matter of sending him new inner bags.

In the past, heavier bags have been requested. Unfortunately, when shipping filled bags, I'm held to a max of 4lbs. (overseas), so making a larger bag (as standard) isn't an option. This resulted in the need to make/ship larger bags ( ships flat-unfilled) while offering a heavier bag, once filled.

We'll see how it goes with the new inner bags, Time. I'll pm you when I send them out...come back and post your results. 'kay?
time
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 pm

IWish wrote:Mystery solved! There was a discrepancy in the width of the inner bag between the prototype I used in the video and Time's bags - a difference of 1/2 inch. It's just a matter of sending him new inner bags.

In the past, heavier bags have been requested. Unfortunately, when shipping filled bags, I'm held to a max of 4lbs. (overseas), so making a larger bag (as standard) isn't an option. This resulted in the need to make/ship larger bags ( ships flat-unfilled) while offering a heavier bag, once filled.

We'll see how it goes with the new inner bags, Time. I'll pm you when I send them out...come back and post your results. 'kay?
OK. And now if someone in LA needs gems to fill their fancy new self-closing bags, I have 4 bags of the exact glass gems IWish uses (enough for 4 custom IWish poster weight bags) for sale at cost :)