Craigslist Flat File Refinishing Project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I've contemplated looking into it, but never gotten that far. Thought of it only because of how impressed I was with seeing how the paint bonded to some pieces I worked with on a small museum installation (children's museum, so they wanted to insure that the paint stayed put no matter what the kids did to it). I think that going the auto re-painter service method would probably be easier and cheaper, but maybe not as durable...
Tra la la la la...
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Yamar wrote:I've contemplated looking into it, but never gotten that far. Thought of it only because of how impressed I was with seeing how the paint bonded to some pieces I worked with on a small museum installation (children's museum, so they wanted to insure that the paint stayed put no matter what the kids did to it). I think that going the auto re-painter service method would probably be easier and cheaper, but maybe not as durable...
I may have to look into it. Even if it was $100-150, just paint materials and the time involved might make it worth it in the long run. Not to mention the finish would look great.
Image Image Image
jesterguy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm

summoner wrote:Has anyone priced out having a flat file powder coated?
it'll vary from company to company but I have a 5 drawer I inquired about and he ballparked me around $260 to have it done and another place was a bit over $200. Also that was just the exterior of it, the interior/drawers were good but the drawer faces and the rest of it was what I was asking about. I'm sure you'll get a decent variety of quotes depending on where you go and how much you need to get done.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm

summoner wrote:Has anyone priced out having a flat file powder coated?
cmatthews11 had it done. Cost him $150

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... +flat+file
evilpresence
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Here is a response back I received when asking how much an estimate would be for powder coating the housing black and the drawers another color. Might just take it down to one color if it'll cost $150. Definately going to search around for more options.

Two colors will require two min color charges so $300 assuming powder on there now is ok to go over. If there are scratches and other damage to the paint we will need to have it stripped which would cost $200 more
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Awesome job. In the original picture it shows some rust. Did you use Bondo on any rust or areas with divits?

Also is there anything to put in the wheels to make it almost silent and smooth when opening and shutting the drawers?
letusjam
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I used bondo and the result was satisfactory. Make sure you have an orbital sander if you decide to go that route.

The wheels on my drawers were locked up (it didn't help that I forgot to cover them during the project), but I used some UltraLube and it cleared them right up. Great product, I use it on door hinges and all kinds of stuff. Five stars.
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 pm

letusjam wrote:I used bondo and the result was satisfactory. Make sure you have an orbital sander if you decide to go that route.

The wheels on my drawers were locked up (it didn't help that I forgot to cover them during the project), but I used some UltraLube and it cleared them right up. Great product, I use it on door hinges and all kinds of stuff. Five stars.
What grit should I use with the orbital sander to take the paint off?

Also did you use a red scratch? Also have seen a few people sand down. The primer once on a bit