DIY - Removing scuffs on a black print. L@@K!

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:59 am

treynutzz wrote:thanks for sharing this awesome piece of info.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:58 pm

I tried this using what I think is a similar eraser on a small part of my chub-rubbed Drive. I can't see that it made any difference, so I gave up. I'm not sure what you're doing different, but it looks good in the photos.
finalfilppula wrote:Image

This works great, too.
Highly disagree. I also used this a long time ago on the same print, and if anything it was worse. Use caution.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 am

Great job, what a deft touch and percise hand you have. :clap:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 am

My gum eraser became my best friend when I got in to collecting prints. Great to put this out there, it works very well on most anything, but you definitely have to be careful and not rough or you will accidentally remove paint.
Nardalus
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 am

Anyone care to explain the process a little more in depth?

Is the idea that you are removing the scuff, or moving the black ink around to cover the scuff?

I have a print I want to try this on, but I'm a little reluctant at this point.

Thanks in advance.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Nardalus wrote:Anyone care to explain the process a little more in depth?

Is the idea that you are removing the scuff, or moving the black ink around to cover the scuff?

I have a print I want to try this on, but I'm a little reluctant at this point.

Thanks in advance.
it's moving the black ink back over the scuff.

I was once told by an artist to get the softest paint brush they make and with it DRY, rub in gentle circles to move he ink around. It's worked on several black and grey prints I've received with scuffs.

I've never tried this eraser technique ... looks like it might work for deeper scuffs. Thanks for sharing sixstringer.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 pm

I am actually not rubbing or swirling but rather tapping the print to lift the scuff marks out. It only works on screen prints not giclee. The eraser has to be pretty tacky for it to work.
JMS1984
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Just to be clear, I should avoid using a dry cleaning pad on a small chub lines? I just don't want to make anything worse than it is.
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 pm

KSUvet wrote: Highly disagree. I also used this a long time ago on the same print, and if anything it was worse. Use caution.
I can see where you're coming from, as it did leave a splotchy residue on One print—but just that one. Otherwise, it's been perfect for me. Will give that kneadable eraser a try, though.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Anyone know a method which works, or has had success, for removing linear scuffs on a giclee?
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Sweet! Thanks six! :clap:
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 am

appletree wrote:Anyone know a method which works, or has had success, for removing linear scuffs on a giclee?
Sorry, no advice to offer for help for giclee scuffs. However, NEVER use the kneadable eraser trick on giclees, it can destroy them.
appletree
Art Expert

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am

That was some great advice though. Happy I went back to this thread before trying anything stupid. May have to send it off to Poster Mountain.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
SunflowerSeeds
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 pm

pewter14 wrote:
I was once told by an artist to get the softest paint brush they make and with it DRY, rub in gentle circles to move he ink around. It's worked on several black and grey prints I've received with scuffs.
This technique worked really well. I didnt have a gum eraser but I used poster tac instead, and I'm really happy with how my print turned out. I had an extra print around with lots of damage, so I was able to try it out first. I think that the brush made the most difference tho and I would recommend that to anyone first.
Dfa
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:57 pm

So, this question is really stupid, but has anyone used any other kind of kneadable eraser? Or should I stick with the Derwent (specifically the blue).

DOES IT MATTER??