Am I naive in my collecting?

General art-related discussion.
bikewrecked
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

BTW, not an ExpressoBeans noob despite my account info.
golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:21 pm

What was your previous username?
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

bikewrecked wrote:I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade. I don't do the whole eBay thing for prints. I know it might piss people off that I try to trade a print I didn't really want in the first place, but at least I'm not buying these things to flip and make profit..I do it just to get prints that I really want. Is that asshole-ish of me?
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

bsutter11 wrote:
bikewrecked wrote:I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade. I don't do the whole eBay thing for prints. I know it might piss people off that I try to trade a print I didn't really want in the first place, but at least I'm not buying these things to flip and make profit..I do it just to get prints that I really want. Is that asshole-ish of me?
ejg904 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:Wow, the absolute worst print so far in my opinion. Definitely passing on this one.
10 min later...
bsutter11 wrote:I'm sitting at the computer so might as well grab it. Probably use it for trade in the future.
Codeblue wrote:Another valuable new member!
DarthHippie
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

bsutter11 wrote:I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade.
Beautiful.

There are plenty of people who only buy what they like. I do, but buy more stuff than I could ever hope to frame. I'm just too lazy to sell anything.
Awesome
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm

It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Awesome wrote:It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

mobius006 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:

ejg904 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:Wow, the absolute worst print so far in my opinion. Definitely passing on this one.
10 min later...
bsutter11 wrote:I'm sitting at the computer so might as well grab it. Probably use it for trade in the future.
Codeblue wrote:Another valuable new member!
Okay, that just states exactly what i just said. If I'm sitting there, I will most likely grab it even if I don't like it. I'm sorry, sue me.
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Awesome wrote:It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.
Yes and I can understand that, but I'm not buying these To make a profit. And by the way I can count on one hand how many times I've bought a print i planned on trading. Hell, a lot of the prints I buy my brother likes and I sell them to him at cost.
Last edited by bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opence
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

DarthHippie wrote: I'm just too lazy to sell anything.
It does take a lot of effort doesnt it.
Harry Dunn wrote:OK gang, you know the rules, no humping, no licking, no sniffing hineys.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 pm

bsutter11 wrote: I dont buy to trade... i will buy it and use it for trade.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:53 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
:rolling:
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks to the power of the internet I get that joke now ! :notworthy:
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
Let me state this in the most obvious fashion for you all. I don't intentionally buy prints to trade them. If I happen to be on the Internet at a time when a popular print drops, and I don't like it, I will buy it and trade it. God damn...is it that hard to understand? I know many of you don't like it that I do this, but I honestly don't care. There's probably Hundreds of other users on here that do this and just don't say anything, at least I'm honest about it
maden
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Sounds intentional to me.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around