The Dark Knight Rises 12 Moss

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Moss has been quite vocal about not wanting high edition sizes, which makes this release even more bizarre.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Awesome
Art Expert

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Codeblue wrote:Moss has been quite vocal about not wanting high edition sizes, which makes this release even more bizarre.
Very few people can resist the cash temptation.
Casshern

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 pm

machination wrote: And by "every poster", you must mean "every Moss poster".
I am just saying that Moss (probably the highest coveted Mondo artist) and Batman Rises (huge movie) that this release was strictly to gauge an approximate max amount of buyers. So, now that they know nearly 10k people are watching their releases that they can make better approximations on edition sizes. My 5000+ was most likely wrong but regardless I wouldn't doubt edition sizes being 700 reg and 300 var by this time next year for popular movies. Just my opinion on why there was a time-release. Could be them just wanting to spread the mondo name...but I doubt there was not a business motive behind the release.
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Nah, not if your intentions are focused on ''keeping it pure".
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Edition sizes like that already exist. Also, I didn't buy this because I don't like it, but I usually love what Mondo puts out, however, I know of a couple people that did buy it (that are not collectors) simply because of the dark knight. I know that they will never ever purchase another Mondo poster again...unless its batman.
rovingambler
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:18 pm

machination wrote:
Casshern wrote:
burndisneyland wrote:I really don't understand the desire for something to simply be limited other then elitism - look what I've got and you haven't. I think timed editions are a great way to go - you still have to pay attention and grab a piece when it's available, but less of the inevitable bitching and "how can we make Mondo drops better?" style threads.
Da Vinci should have painted the Mona Lisa 1000 times because it just isn't fair for France to have the only one. Why can't we all just have the same things in life. Joking of course. I am guessing Mondo time-released this print to gauge how many people are willing to buy the posters, they probably will increase the edition sizes by 100-200 maybe more because they now know that 5000+ people will probably want every poster that they release.
And by "every poster", you must mean "every Moss poster".

i'd venture to say that there's probably only a handful of people who REALLY WANT the poster...the other 9000 are nothing more than venture capitalist merely exploiting consumers, who actually have a life and couldn't land a print when it dropped. Thus, playing said emotions on the market of perceived scarcity.
So a simple solution...pass any temptation to purchase an over priced piece of paper, where the seller is listed in Austin, TX.
THINK people THINK :twisted:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Codeblue wrote:Moss has been quite vocal about not wanting high edition sizes, which makes this release even more bizarre.
I think he has said specifically that edition sizes are something he takes very seriously. Which allows for the option of the occasional timed/large edition, even if it is only once or twice a year. Double Ghost would be precedent for this.

Overall, his edition sizes are on the ridiculously small side, relative to his popularity. And I've said this eleswhere , but the edition sizes of every poster in his back catalogue are looking a hell of a lot smaller now.
Last edited by middayshadows on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
powerboy
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm

I think the open edition theme has to do more with licensing. Assuming Batman's head of marketing is familiar with Mondo's popularity, I think it makes perfect sense to offer Batman as a timed release rather than capping the run. Why cap a very popular brand when they can exploit the situation knowing damn well it will sell out anyway right. It's all about the bottom line. Since this was a huge hit I wouldn't be surprised seeing more timed releases in the future for branded characters, ie. Superman, etc.

The good thing about Mondo is they understand the nature of their niche. By producing a variant edition Mondo was able to please both collectors and casual collectors at the same time. My only concern with future timed releases is that it eliminates the buyer's option to pick which version to buy, meaning EVERYONE will likely go for the variant first making it that much harder to obtain. And then more whining and bitching as to why the edition run for the variant is only x amount when the regular is already open for 24 hrs. It's a effing vicious cycle...
PrintFanatic87
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Okay that movie was drymounting phenomenal!!!!
RiotAct
EB Team

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 pm

PrintFanatic87 wrote:Okay that movie was drymounting phenomenal!!!!

It was pretty good
purplehbwhale
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I wonder how many flippers got burned on this one.
purplehbwhale
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Opps, sorry I have't been online in a few weeks. Let me restate that.

I wonder how many buyers got burned on this one.
igotid
Art Expert

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm

RiotAct wrote:
PrintFanatic87 wrote:Okay that movie was drymounting phenomenal!!!!

It was pretty good

My favorite comic book movie by far now
TNspreadhead
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:04 am

rovingambler wrote:
machination wrote:
Casshern wrote:
burndisneyland wrote:I really don't understand the desire for something to simply be limited other then elitism - look what I've got and you haven't. I think timed editions are a great way to go - you still have to pay attention and grab a piece when it's available, but less of the inevitable bitching and "how can we make Mondo drops better?" style threads.
Da Vinci should have painted the Mona Lisa 1000 times because it just isn't fair for France to have the only one. Why can't we all just have the same things in life. Joking of course. I am guessing Mondo time-released this print to gauge how many people are willing to buy the posters, they probably will increase the edition sizes by 100-200 maybe more because they now know that 5000+ people will probably want every poster that they release.
And by "every poster", you must mean "every Moss poster".

i'd venture to say that there's probably only a handful of people who REALLY WANT the poster...the other 9000 are nothing more than venture capitalist merely exploiting consumers, who actually have a life and couldn't land a print when it dropped. Thus, playing said emotions on the market of perceived scarcity.
So a simple solution...pass any temptation to purchase an over priced piece of paper, where the seller is listed in Austin, TX.
THINK people THINK :twisted:
Have a life and couldn't land a print? It was up for 24 hours. Unless your life is speedballing for 3 straight days, anyone could have had this
smokeymtn
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I was looking at older prints and I saw that Olly sells his artist copies.. I'm guesing they sell fast.

Does anyone know if he uses paypal?