Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
sluffmo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm

The rumor I heard was that this might be the only horkey, and it's not part of a series.
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm still betting they don't have Michael J. Fox's likeness rights yet. Those are notoriously tough to get. Not saying they aren't trying, or that they will never get them, but there's no reason to say 'no comment' to a likeness rights questions if you have them.
robertozanzi
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Awesome wrote:Ya still waiting for that Jurassic Park Stout, any day now.
I want Stout Velociraptors with extra sharp teeth and extra Stouty dino skin too while we are at it.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 pm

sluffmo wrote:The rumor I heard was that this might be the only horkey, and it's not part of a series.
This is the only thing keeping me in check on this release. It also wouldn't make much sense to release a Horkey FOTR and TTT online when the ROTK was an event exclusive. I want a matching set of three from someone, because that's all the wall space I'll have. The trilogy set/s will also lIkely be released in a bundle so there's no additional worry about getting shut out on part of the set.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
tomdon
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Anyone else get spammed by MrBrianTM, just joined today about an hour and a half ago, saying he has an extra MMMX regular? Making deals with someone that new requires some careful moves. What's the best way to protect oneself and does this normally happen after a MMM?
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:34 pm

tomdon wrote:Anyone else get spammed by MrBrianTM, just joined today about an hour and a half ago, saying he has an extra MMMX regular? Making deals with someone that new requires some careful moves. What's the best way to protect oneself and does this normally happen after a MMM?
Ignore and move on.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
changethethought
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:46 pm

FlapJack wrote:
yesterday wrote:Why was the King Kong Variant $120?
Just don't say or infer "price creep", or certain high ranking and/or grammy winning Mondo officials will give you a virtual backhand. Learn from my mistakes.
Man, I'm surprised about the lack of enthusiasm over that King Kong variant. It uses a super iconic image unique to the original film with nice little visual tie ins rendered in a style that perfectly suites the era along with 'understated' typography for a change. I thought that shiz was dope mang. And I got a feeling the color work (especially the blue) are going to look pretty sweet in person.

Anyway. Maybe I am just trying to validate my purchase but I am proudly hanging that mofo fo sho.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:48 pm

MMMX Review

This is my review for the screening. For my party review, check the proper thread.

Mark it 10/10 :pint: The streak is alive...

We got in line waaay earlier than any of the other MMMs. The list was beneficial and helped keep order the same way it did at the Gallery opening and MMMLA. No-brainer (duh)

Lunch at Home Slice was INCREDIBLE! Last few times I came to town, we settled for More Home Slice next door (by the slice.) It's SO MUCH better when you get a whole pie, cooked to order. Yum yum. Live Oak hefe was tasty as always.

It was ridiculously hot in line. Too hot. Nothing worse than sitting in your own sweat. Made the best of it though and had a great time hanging with the usual suspects and some awesome out-of-towners. Met some cool new folks too. The camaraderie and hanging with the crew is the best part of these things. The big bench inside was pretty much empty all day and it would've been nice if they let us wait inside. Would've made some money selling beer, too. My wife is from Nicaragua and even she was uncomfortable in the heat.

The Flipper thing was funny, but went on too long. Like others said, watching the movie and making fun of it was actually quite enjoyable. Too bad it was at the expense of a real Q&A.

Would've made sense to start with Fellowship, but I'm not complaining about ROTK. Epic movie that benefits from the big screen. Could've done without the extended version though. There's a lot of cool things to illustrate from ROTK. I spent a lot of the movie wondering what the artist would choose to draw.

Horkey nailed it! I love the direction he took and the prints look amazing in person. Really beautiful work. Variant ftw! Great decision to sell variants early :pint:

Distribution of the prints was handled exceptionally well. Like clockwork, the Mondo staff was on top of it. Smart move to sell variants early. Always good to see the Mondo crew :clap:

After the movie, I was outside and heard Elijah Wood was inside snapping pics and stuff. Went back inside and didn't see Elijah, but ran into somebody else notable... Horkey! Aaron recognized Claudia and I from MMM2 and we chatted a bit. Super cool dude. I don't think folks recognized him.

Took a badass pic with Mitch. I'll post it later.

After that we drove back to Houston and managed to sleep for a couple hours before our 9 am shift. Feelin' sleepy...

All in all it was a very good time. I look forward to the next one (once you've been to 10, Mondo flies you out, right?)

Can't wait to get more face time with the prints :pint:

-edited for grammar
Last edited by RottenAtom on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImAMonster
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm

KSUvet wrote:
tomdon wrote:Anyone else get spammed by MrBrianTM, just joined today about an hour and a half ago, saying he has an extra MMMX regular? Making deals with someone that new requires some careful moves. What's the best way to protect oneself and does this normally happen after a MMM?
Ignore and move on.
I see he has it listed in the For Sale/Trade section as well. Use caution folks...
ImageImageImage T.H.C. x3

Well, what do you expect, mother? I'm half machine!
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Horkey hi-res in 10 min.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm

It was my first MMM and everything went smoothly. I love LOTR, Mo handled everything amazingly, and the Drafthouse was even kind enough to bring us out water with ice. I am not a big Horkey fan but other than that...top notch event. Paul Hogan just needed to be there to defend his honor. It just sucked doodoo that it was so friggin hot outside. Damn you summer.

My only real complaint about the movie is how Peter Jackson filmed a billion endings for the movie. I hadn't seen RotK in forever and I forgot how he had a ton of endings. Heartfelt scene, fade out...repeat 5 times hahahaha. Can't wait to see The Hobbit this winter.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Regular

Variant
blog
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm

I just realized there was no pin for mmmx. Kinda disappointed.
╭∩╮ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ╭∩╮
Rainbolt
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I love that flipping lens man !! Great shots dude !!
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
Pineapple007
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 pm

"Get up, you son of a bitch! 'Cause Micky loves ya."
Image Order of the Monarch #21
Image Image