Phish Wantagh 12 Otto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Phish Wantagh 12 Otto

jester
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 am

What up with her face, is she sick or something. I think she needs to eat more vegetables, maybe get out in the sun more often...
ISO: Any Spusta original sketches, original inkings, or concept drawings. Please PM me to discuss...
kickdrum9
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 am

jester wrote:What up with her face, is she sick or something. I think she needs to eat more vegetables, maybe get out in the sun more often...
where is your art work listed? id love to check it out.
ToAsTnYc
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am

I think that's all the muck and other fudge that washes up on jones beach....the image would be better if she had a couple or syringes sticking out of her as well. Maybe a beach closed sign in the background??
kushmeja
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 am

Lol - looks like a zombie to me :)
EG8
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Just wondering Brandon, seriously are you drawing these by hand?
Its OK either way I'm not trying to be an ass about doing digital work I am just curious.
Image Image Image
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm

bow to leper messiah
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm

dummies, it's the wolfman's brother.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jester
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:37 pm

More like the wolfman's ugly, sickly, on her death bed, younger sister..

Im just having fun, seriously though, I normally really do like your stuff Otto. Im just not a fan of this one...
ISO: Any Spusta original sketches, original inkings, or concept drawings. Please PM me to discuss...
moose32
New User

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:04 pm

what the drymount is wrong with you all where is your art work listed?
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Mine is listed via the links in my signature and there are some threads about it here too.

This is an art forum/message board. I think it's great that you are trying to protect the artist's feelings and that non-constructive criticism is sometimes better left unsaid but this is a very weak outing from Mr. Otto and I think the comments are justified. Once you make the choice to start charging people to own your artwork you have to be ready to hear the positives as well as the negatives IMO.

My comment was meant as a joke but let me add something constructive to it... I think the idea behind the print is great - nice use of lyrics and the girl listening to the shell is a great combination. But I think the poster would be so much better if most of the shading was removed from her face, hands and arms. It does indeed make her look like she is either very hairy or has leprosy. Ditto for the girl in the print that Branden did for Atlantic City this year - all that linework in her face takes away from the image IMO. It's almost like he is forcing the Ansin/Stout style into his own and it just doesn't work for me.

That being said, I bet he sold a whole bunch of these at Jones Beach and AC so :clap: for that.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ToAsTnYc
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:57 pm

moose32 wrote:what the drymount is wrong with you all where is your art work listed?
Mine has been on walls and trains on and off for years, I've been dissed before. Words on a computer screen are fudge compared to someone crossing out your hard work in two seconds with a big line thru it. But that's life in graffiti. I'll gladly post some if it makes Brandon or any one else feel better. As for my comment it was a joke, but I have to agree with earlgreytoast on this. If you're going to charge people expect to hear criticism, good and bad. I'll go one further, if you're going to post an image on the internet (charging people or not)...expect comments, good and bad. It looks like a good picture was run thru a photocopy filter then a stamp or maybe woodcut filter after that. It probably would have looked a lot better if he had gone in and cleaned it up by hand afterwards. It's just my opinion, it's not law or gospel so no one needs to get up in arms over it.

I know people will flame this...but I swear it's true and I'll explain my twisted logic after.

I actually prefer it when people rip apart my work.

Go on flame it...but heres why. Almost everyone will tell you they like something you do. Especially friends and family. It's just easier for people to say OMG I love that...cause they think its what the artist wants to hear and it's a feel good statement. If someone says they don't like it, rest assured they aren't lying. They're giving you raw thought. I'd rather hear that any day. I constantly blow off the OMG's simply because I see fault in any work I do, I know people might not always see the imperfections...or mistakes. But I do, and I can accept that not everything I produce needs to be perfect, sometimes I actually prefer it that way just to see if people criticize it. I can learn when people rip it apart, I'm not encouraged to keep doing shitty work, and it inspires me to do better.

I guess in retrospect I could have held my tongue and not said what I said, but I said it thinking I would want to hear it if I was the artist.