How do you ship a print flat?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
seeker1115
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:16 am

I've got a print that I would like to unload, but the trick is that it's custom framed. I really don't want to dismantle the frame just to get it out, so I reach out to you, EB, what is the best way to ship a framed print? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Seeker
Woodyland is a kitten
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 am

done it many times... can i just say... ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS!

it has to be packed WELL, and its EXPENSIVE! i would ship unframed any day over the hassle of shipping a framed print!

if you HAVE to do it, just PACK IT WELL!!! i use multiple layers of bubble wrap over the print, then i add corner protecters, put it in a HUGE box, add Styrofoam popcorn around that, and in the end it ends up costing me about $120 to ship.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:15 am

Dude, it's not so hard. Find a box at your office that fits, or go buy a mirror box from a moving store, UPS/FedEx store, whatever. Then, if your glazing is real glass, put a tic-tac-toe board of the really expensive blue masking tape on there in case there's a crack in shipping. Then, slip the frame into a polybag (or trash bag if you have to) and tape that closed real nice. Bubble wrap that bastard real good, slip all that into the box with a bunch of peanuts. No problem.

But a serious bump can still dislodge whatever mounting system you used, so, nothing's perfect. But you'll be fine.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
treweman
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:50 am

Have to agree with Smith, not too difficult. From my experience, the best boxes for this are sold at FedEx (roughly $10). These are dedicated art boxes ... if you go look at one, you will see why. Be sure to use the Z-fold cardboard on the inside that keeps the art from touching the walls of the box. I ship using USPS, but get the supplies at FedEx.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am

tpeazy is the gold standard in shipping prints flat! Maybe these will give you some ideas... like the paper corners. Good luck.

Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
suchanoo
Art Expert

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 am

Just received this from Stanley Mouse - not often I get a print flat packed from accross the pond, especially without asking for it to be done. The poster was very well protected with minimal packaging: The poster held in a large polyester sleeve, which was folded in half with the poster in one side and a backing card in the other, then encased in two sheets of thick card, with a few reinforcement strips and lots of tape...poster arrived minty fresh...

Outer packaging:
flatpacked-1.JPG
Inner packaging:
flatpacked-2.JPG
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind