Suggestion - 30 Day Wait period before posting

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Aphex139
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 pm

I waited about a year from when I joined the site to become active in the forums. I'm not sure why, but I guess I was just happy to have a Collection tracking tool and I wasn't buying tons of new stuff at that time.
ImageImageImageImage
Wawaad
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

bump
Have No Fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Nation is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:yup, what Sean said.
this aggression will not stand, man.
Stingers
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I think the "premium" membership idea is decent. I've had too many sale threads where I haven't donated (mostly because I don't tend to sell at prices that are profitable :lol: ) . It'd be good to know I'd given something back if I've sold or not, in addition to the other good reasons for it being suggested.
I guess one of the few things about 30 day (i.e) cool off period is discouraging for some genuine new members but if a notification email was sent when the account is activated it'd remind any prospective members they are good to go .
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Please no waiting period for posting. I see insightful posts in here quite often (especially for the older Fillmore posters and the like) from folks who stumble on the site while surfing around and have background knowledge about a piece. It would be a shame to lose that, because they most likely aren't going to register and remember to come back in a month to post a little info.

I'm also not sure if a fee would dissuade that type of post. Maybe a premium membership for the buy/sell/trade area?
Last edited by ceevee on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disdig1
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:00 pm

ceevee wrote:Please no waiting period for posting. I see insightful posts in here quite often (especially for the older Fillmore posters and the like) from folks who stumble on the site while surfing around and have background knowledge about a piece. It would be a shame to lose that, because they most likely aren't going to register and remember to come back in a month to post a little info.
also the new guys in the ashley wood thread have been really cool
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Yamar wrote:
jamesmassey1988 wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:yup, what Sean said.
Who's Sean?
jojo
What Sean said.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Agree with ceevee that anyone who stumbles onto this site should be able to post and contribute art etc, but I support the idea of premium membership to access certain areas or features (specifically selling).
this aggression will not stand, man.
ksn
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

30 days seems like an awfully long time. If one was to be instated, I think it should be less than a week.

The ability to PM should not be blocked though. When new people stumble across sellers they want to purchase from and can't even contact them, it's frustrating and it sucks. I've been in similar situations.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Maybe the option to post as a guest, but with no access to the FS/FT boards. I think the FS/FT boards should be invisible for new members, because they're not supposed to buy and sell within the first 30 days anyway, right?
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm

I also like the idea of a premium membership. We're all encouraged to make donations as it is so a mandatory one to kick off before posting isn't that big a deal. Also wouldn't that stop the spam dead in it's tracks.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

& most importantly it would stop Heathunter. Unless he wants to pay for all his multiple accounts, in which case - awesome.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:26 pm

So you know, the probability of a "pay to play" for/per account is very unlikely to happen, if it would even be up for discussion. It goes against the basis that the site was founded on - to be public and free in all areas.
Tra la la la la...
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Yamar wrote:So you know, the probability of a "pay to play" for/per account is very unlikely to happen, if it would even be up for discussion. It goes against the basis that the site was founded on - to be public and free in all areas.

All companies/organizations change over the years.

You can't possibly say the site is now what it was envisioned to be 10 years ago.

Spambots weren't an issue.
psychopaths weren't an issue.
people who sell stuff shouldn't mind making a small contribution (you can still leave the non-forum FS/FT section free and still allow people to PM to make deals).

But, posting in the forum and especially starting sales threads don't really have to be a given "right". And frankly, that is where 99% of all issues on EB begin.

Just my opinion.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:39 pm

jojobadass wrote:
Yamar wrote:So you know, the probability of a "pay to play" for/per account is very unlikely to happen, if it would even be up for discussion. It goes against the basis that the site was founded on - to be public and free in all areas.

All companies/organizations change over the years.

You can't possibly say the site is now what it was envisioned to be 10 years ago.

Spambots weren't an issue.
psychopaths weren't an issue.
people who sell stuff shouldn't mind making a small contribution (you can still leave the non-forum FS/FT section free and still allow people to PM to make deals).

But, posting in the forum and especially starting sales threads don't really have to be a given "right". And frankly, that is where 99% of all issues on EB begin.

Just my opinion.
I agree with your opinion and the extra income could help fund other areas/projects concerning EB.