Print in tube

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Hey guys just wondering if storing a print in a tube for 6 months to a year will cause any damage to a print....I am running out of mylar sleeves at the moment and space to store things flat :\
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Yes there can be damage, do not store prints in the tube they were shipped in. Tubes are for shipping, not for storing pieces of paper worth >$100 :roll:
Image Image Image
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

I hear this all the time, but is it REALLY that bad to store a print in a tube for a long period of time if it is at room temperature with no humidity?

Does anybody have an example of real damage that has been done to a print by doing so?

Genuinely curious about this. Thanks.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm

every piece of paper is different - some will warp more quickly than others, but damage WILL be done if you just let them sit in a tube for any extended period of time.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 pm

So it is basically warping that you run the risk of happening by keeping a print in a tube more so than anything else?
becknerlyle
New User

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 pm

It also depends on the inks used. I've seen damage to Jeff Wood prints that have been left in tubes too long because he uses thick inks that will start to crack over time if left rolled up.
Dreadyhead4
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 pm

Are all craft tubes acid free? Asides from the obvious bending damage..
ImageTHCImage
wizzack
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:13 pm

gorkie wrote:I hear this all the time, but is it REALLY that bad to store a print in a tube for a long period of time if it is at room temperature with no humidity?

Does anybody have an example of real damage that has been done to a print by doing so?

I have an example of one with zero damage (compared to one that wasn't). Stored in a tube for over 2 years before it got to me. Even flattened out ok. So they do exist! 8)
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:21 pm

itsame wrote:
wizzack wrote:
gorkie wrote:I hear this all the time, but is it REALLY that bad to store a print in a tube for a long period of time if it is at room temperature with no humidity?

I have an example of one with zero damage (compared to one that wasn't). Stored in a tube for over 2 years before it got to me. Even flattened out ok. So they do exist! 8)

i have had a large format printed by modern multiples stored in a tube for 5 years... it basically laid itself flat when i took it out of the tube! and then i have other prints that STILL curl up even though they've been laid flat for a couple of years now.
That's more than likely the inks and the paper on the ones that still curl.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for the input. I have a few very large MBW prints that I want to continue to hold on to, but that are way too large to frame and hang anywhere right now. Don't know what to do other than to just remove them from the tubes now and then and let them breathe for a bit. I know-some of you would suggest I just burn them- ha ha. :D

Montana Paintball for example. Huge gorgeous print, mint condition, but just can't put that up on the wall anywhere right now. Would be crushed though if anything ever happened to it. Gotta figure something out. Ideas??????????????????????
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Yes VERY thick nice paper.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank you.
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:00 pm

itsame wrote:
john38103 wrote:
That's more than likely the inks and the paper on the ones that still curl.
you think it's the inks and the paper that are curling? i didn't know there was anything else that could even be involved :D
Not sure if you're being a dick or if you're genuinely not comprehending. Either way, touché. Well played.

I almost forgot to ask, have a bunch of other dudes started humping your girl yet or is that still in the planning stages?