Twist-n-Pull Shipping Tubes

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 am

theperfecttree wrote:
finneganm wrote:I'm actually not a big fan (for a somewhat silly reason). I can never open the caps without a minor headache or destroying the caps. I like to reuse a tube when I can, and with these I never can. That being said, if you're buying tubes, you're probably buying them to securely send a print, and not to mildly annoy someone; as a safe and secure print carrying vessel, they seem to be more than adequate.
I HATE opening these but will admit they seem safe. As long as you tape the caps like everyone's said.

Is there some trick to opening?
1. Remove sand from vagina
2. Twist endcap in opposite direction the tabs face (Most important part)
3. While doing step 2, pull the endcap out
4. Profit???
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 am

I have been wondering what the consensus is on these as well. I have received prints in these on two separate occasions, though not from Slater. I find that after I open them the twist locking mechanism does not work as well and would definitely need taping shut for me to feel comfortable re-using them. They are definitely an appropriate thickness and I was wondering how people felt about receiving a print in one that had been re-used.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
xangelx
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 am

itsame wrote:you know, i think i got a print from todd slater in one of these tubes once
When I saw the title of this thread I thought "Oh that's like the one that Todd Slater gave me that time in Austin when he dropped off his Black Keys prints for the show" So yeah, Todd uses them and I've seen him use them with my own eyes. Case closed.

Also those drymounters are damn sturdy.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
maden
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 am

I hate those drymounting tubes.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:23 am

theperfecttree wrote: I HATE opening these but will admit they seem safe. As long as you tape the caps like everyone's said.

Ample masturbation.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 am

theperfecttree wrote:Is there some trick to opening?
I usually just take a flat screwdriver and push-in the 3 or 4 little plastic tabs, then the cap slides right off..
exiter
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:25 am

I didn't have a problem opening it. The directions are printed right on the tube... :pint:

OK, so far, the tube is sturdy, adequate vessel for transporting, some Slater guy uses them often, re-usability factor good, tape end caps, and difficult to open...
I miss anything?
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." -Anton Szandor LaVey
¡Artistas Fantásticos! William Rupnik Gallery -> http://t.co/fjBY3mOv
1xRUN Invite -> http://1xrun.com/invite/exiter
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 am

Todds Later uses them. They are hard to open but the rich rich cream inside makes it worth it.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am

I burn them. Reused one once and the dude's print ended up getting destroyed because the end cap del off. Never again.
veltri
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:50 am

chalkdust wrote:
theperfecttree wrote:Is there some trick to opening?
I usually just take a flat screwdriver and push-in the 3 or 4 little plastic tabs, then the cap slides right off..
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
chimpun
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am

I taped the caps only because I was paranoid rainwater could seep in through where the plastic tabs stick out of the tube.
Wawaad
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
finneganm wrote:I'm actually not a big fan (for a somewhat silly reason). I can never open the caps without a minor headache or destroying the caps. I like to reuse a tube when I can, and with these I never can. That being said, if you're buying tubes, you're probably buying them to securely send a print, and not to mildly annoy someone; as a safe and secure print carrying vessel, they seem to be more than adequate.
I HATE opening these but will admit they seem safe. As long as you tape the caps like everyone's said.

Yes, the trick is Twist and Pull
I dont understand how people have problems opening them
Have No Fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Nation is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
timcab
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:34 am

Wawaad wrote:
theperfecttree wrote:

Yes, the trick is Twist and Pull
I dont understand how people have problems opening them
Twisted and pulled and got nowhere. Had to take a screwdriver to the ends like Chalkdust said. Was the print safe inside? Yes. Would it have gotten there safe if packed in a regular Yazoo? Yes. Not worth the extra effort in my book.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:15 am

I think Todd Slater uses these tubes. No?!

The biggest con I see with these tubes is the additional length and material to the tubes. A standard (18x24) print in a thick tube is normally right under a pound. These tubes, with their added lengths and larger caps make the package 1+ pounds. Shipping cross country or international, it makes a big difference in postage costs.

$.02
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral