Spoke Art x the Castro Theatre

General art-related discussion.
Ken
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Shame about the Louisville Palace, Mike, that's a real bummer. On a brighter note, the Castro is still owned by the original family that built it in the 20s!
jachapma
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Ken wrote:Shame about the Louisville Palace, Mike, that's a real bummer. On a brighter note, the Castro is still owned by the original family that built it in the 20s!
Though I understand that it would be great if they could do movies and concerts, I hardly call that they now hold a bunch of concerts there a "shame." It's a gorgeous place with great sightlines, good enough sound, and is in the sweet-spot as far as size goes for the area.
I *still* don't care for Gob.
Ken
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 3:53 pm

jachapma wrote:
Ken wrote:Shame about the Louisville Palace, Mike, that's a real bummer. On a brighter note, the Castro is still owned by the original family that built it in the 20s!
Though I understand that it would be great if they could do movies and concerts, I hardly call that they now hold a bunch of concerts there a "shame." It's a gorgeous place with great sightlines, good enough sound, and is in the sweet-spot as far as size goes for the area.
Ah, definitely didn't mean to insult! I suppose more where I'm coming from is that LiveNation is a massive nationwide company, and though I'm not talking smack about them or their ethics, I typically will always root for the underdog and always prefer to support my local indie venues, theatres, shops etc. Hope no offense was taken!
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 pm

jachapma wrote:
Actually, they don't do a "bunch" of concerts either. Maybe1 or 2 a month and they are priced high. They do more corperate events than anything else, which is a shame. It's a historical landmark and should have more events for the general public.

And I'll correct myself on the last show I saw there. It was still Creature, but it was in 2009 during a summer series called "Monsters" in which they showed 10 monster movies from that era, including all the Universal Monsters.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
jachapma
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Ken wrote:
jachapma wrote:
Ah, definitely didn't mean to insult! I suppose more where I'm coming from is that LiveNation is a massive nationwide company, and though I'm not talking smack about them or their ethics, I typically will always root for the underdog and always prefer to support my local indie venues, theatres, shops etc. Hope no offense was taken!
None at all! And I agree whole-heartedly about not supporting LiveNation vs locals, I'm just excited to get to see so many shows in that beautiful room now. I came off much harsher than I intended to.

And to TattooMike: It's going to take time to build traction on filling that place in Louisville. A great manager could handle both shows and movies, which it appears they do not have.
I *still* don't care for Gob.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

TattooMike wrote:Just read through this thread. I don't want to de-rail
Derailed. Onward! ROBOCOP!!!!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 1:44 am

Ken wrote:
jachapma wrote:
i want some popcorn right now.
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 am

skis007 wrote:Image
Tim Doyle - "Murphy It's You" - Regular
Six color screen print on 100# cougar white with metallic silver
Edition of 225
signed and numbered
18" x 24"
$40

Tim Doyle - "Murphy It's You" - Variant
Six color screen print on 111# pearlescent paper with metallic silver
Edition of 50
signed and numbered
18" x 24"
$60

EDIT: http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspo ... r-for.html
These are great! :clap: :clap:
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

Ken, is there a Warriors print coming up next week?
BloodyMurray
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Any chance of getting a poster buddy for a Robocop print?
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow, that theatre is absolutely gorgous. Which we had theatres like that left in the UK.
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 am

Picked this up tonight! Great movie and top notch theater.
Saw the Warriors print for next week..looks really nice, it's done by Grzegorz Domaradzki.
Here's the Robo Cop variant of 50
pewter14
EB Team

Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm

As benny said, got a sneak peak of this one last night at the Robocop screening ... looks fantastic!

Excited to see more work from Grzegorz Domaradzki, and at the Castro!
Ken wrote:Something new........ :D

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
Rainbolt
Art Expert

Sat May 19, 2012 1:10 pm

pewter14 wrote:As benny said, got a sneak peak of this one last night at the Robocop screening ... looks fantastic!

Excited to see more work from Grzegorz Domaradzki, and at the Castro!
Ken wrote:Something new........ :D

Holy mackerel .... Grzegorz Domaradzki work is simply amazing.
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”