Craigslist Flat File Refinishing Project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
ericgarza1201
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 pm

sixstringer wrote:
ericgarza1201 wrote: 1.about how long did this project take you from start to finish? I'd like to make a weekend out of it.
2.how much $$$ (approx.) did the materials/paint/etc; come out to?
3.would you recommend sanding it down by hand or renting an electric sander from Home Depot/Lowe's? Something this big seems like it'd be a pain to sand by hand.
Thanks!

1. Took about 2 weeks because of the dry time + I did the drawers separately due to space constraints. I also added a clear coat to everything w/Rustoluem crystal clear enamel. You could knock it out in 2 weekends.
2. $100. I think I used 3 cans primer, 8 cans of color for the cabinets, 2 cans of color for drawers, and 4 cans of clear.
3. I used an orbital sander

If I was going to do it again I would try using a roller instead of spray for the cabinets....just to see if I could get better & more even coverage that way.
Thanks for the advice. I hope to get on this project in the near future and will post pictures when I get to it!
pathways
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't know if posting a new thread would be the way to go? Either way, finished up my flat file! Bought some new handles, removed the label holders and painted everything flat black. I like to keep things really simple. And black. :twisted:
Image Image
sixstringer
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice! Diggin the black handles. What did you use for paint? Spray or roller?
pathways wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't know if posting a new thread would be the way to go?
Community thread here so feel free to post your projects!
pathways
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13 pm

I actually tried your advice and used a roller. Worked great for the sides, front and back. The top however.. ugh. The top wasn't completely dry I'm assuming and when I went to recoat it started pulling out the fibers from the roller :hanging:. Sanded, waited, used a new roller aaand all the fibers were either still there cause I didn't sand well enough or the rollers were fudge. Either way, I'll be building a top for it. I'm gonna do a wooden top, raised with steel rods from Ikea probably. I'll post an update once I actually get around to doing it.
Image Image
Asoli
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Any advice on how to fix drawer fronts if they're dented in? I was thinking about putting a 2x4 in front and pounding out from behind.
Asoli
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:06 pm

emac wrote:
Baker wrote:
casoriat wrote:curious... when you store prints in a flat file, do you lay the prints on top of each other, or do you place something in between them so they do not touch?
Always put something between them. Glassine is what most people use.
Probably the wrong thread for this, but since you brought it up: I bought glassine from Jerry's Artorama this past weekend, but it only came in 24x36 sheets. Where do you guys with flat files find larger sheets, or do you just use something else for your larger prints?
If it has to be sheets that might be the limit unless you custom order, but dickblick has 36" rolls and you can cut to whatever length you want.

Edit: I lied, http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-540-230-002 for a 36x48 sheet. But it's over a dollar per sheet so it might be more economical to just buy a roll and cut it yourself.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Asoli wrote:Any advice on how to fix drawer fronts if they're dented in? I was thinking about putting a 2x4 in front and pounding out from behind.
Put a sticker over the dent. Problem solved!

But yeah a sand hammer and some patience and luck is probably your best bet, I'd guess.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Asoli wrote:
emac wrote:
Baker wrote:
casoriat wrote:curious... when you store prints in a flat file, do you lay the prints on top of each other, or do you place something in between them so they do not touch?
Always put something between them. Glassine is what most people use.
Probably the wrong thread for this, but since you brought it up: I bought glassine from Jerry's Artorama this past weekend, but it only came in 24x36 sheets. Where do you guys with flat files find larger sheets, or do you just use something else for your larger prints?
If it has to be sheets that might be the limit unless you custom order, but dickblick has 36" rolls and you can cut to whatever length you want.

Edit: I lied, http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-540-230-002 for a 36x48 sheet. But it's over a dollar per sheet so it might be more economical to just buy a roll and cut it yourself.
I'm using this:
http://www.framedestination.com/tissue/ ... 000536500/
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
guerillawhite
Art Enthusiast

Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

just started refinishing my flatfile wondering what you guys did to the inside of the flat file if anything? Thanks
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed May 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I only cleaned the inside of the cabinet with soap and water and spot sprayed any rust spots. I didn't touch the inside of the drawers but they were perfect.
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 am

I was thinking about going the flat black route, but was wondering about possible scuffing/transfer when bumped/anything negative not going with a gloss... Has anyone else done theirs in a flat color and can help with these questions?
Image Image Image
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:42 am

This will be incredibly helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in simple terms for those of us who are still DIY amateurs!
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:15 pm

summoner wrote:I was thinking about going the flat black route, but was wondering about possible scuffing/transfer when bumped/anything negative not going with a gloss... Has anyone else done theirs in a flat color and can help with these questions?
Just use a satin clear coat on it.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
summoner
Art Freak

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Baker wrote:
summoner wrote:I was thinking about going the flat black route, but was wondering about possible scuffing/transfer when bumped/anything negative not going with a gloss... Has anyone else done theirs in a flat color and can help with these questions?
Just use a satin clear coat on it.
Oh yeah... That would look good!
Image Image Image
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 am

My project is officially underway thanks to this thread. The wife and I decided to go with a flat gray for the cabinet, deep purple for the drawers and a somewhat lighter flat gray for the handles and base. I'll post some before and after pics in here once complete.

Thanks again for all the useful information and the inspiration to go bold with the colors.