Martin Ansin thread

General art-related discussion.
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 pm

keefdotorg wrote:
IbisMummy wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
Badbutch wrote:I'm sure he's swamped with other fudge but I'd love to see Ansin do Holy Mountain and/or Santa Sange. I finally watched Holy Mountain over the weekend and my mind is still blown.
God, I love that movie. It's my favorite Jodorowsky.
Easily tops my list. It's the only one that gets regular viewings.
Definitely! At least once a year.

It crushes me that I've never been able to find a copy of the Bertmer print for it.
Totally feel you there. The same guy who sold his Bride lately also sold a Holy Mountain the same day... BUT, it went for a little more than I was willing to lay out (much like the Bride). So, the search continues...
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 pm

IbisMummy wrote: Totally feel you there. The same guy who sold his Bride lately also sold a Holy Mountain the same day... BUT, it went for a little more than I was willing to lay out (much like the Bride). So, the search continues...
Yyyyyyeah. I got outbid on that at the last second.
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 pm

keefdotorg wrote:
IbisMummy wrote: Totally feel you there. The same guy who sold his Bride lately also sold a Holy Mountain the same day... BUT, it went for a little more than I was willing to lay out (much like the Bride). So, the search continues...
what was your bid?
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Rebafeind wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
what was your bid?
I was talking about the Holy Mountain, not the bride.

... why? you got one?
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 pm

keefdotorg wrote:
Rebafeind wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
what was your bid?
I was talking about the Holy Mountain, not the bride.

... why? you got one?
Yeah, I'd like to be the one who outbid you... or, not outbid YOU, but, oh, drymount it, you get the point. What I guess I mean to say is, one day it'll be ours (but not in a cooperative, you have the print on Mondays and holidays, sort of way).
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
selassielion
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm

keefdotorg wrote:
It crushes me that I've never been able to find a copy of the Bertmer print for it.
That print sat on Mondo's site for like a week if I remember correctly. Crazy.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 10:51 pm

selassielion wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
That print sat on Mondo's site for like a week if I remember correctly. Crazy.
Heartbreaking.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 am

The Santa Sangre is amazing, too.
jal9000
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 am

SheldonCooper wrote:Thanks for the answer, but I'm not the kind to just buy one of his prints just because it's Ansin, has to be something I'm interested in, otherwise, it's not worth it. I do love the Wrath Of Khan one even though I haven't seen a single ST movie except for the JJ Abrams one. I totally want the Tron Legacy one, Scott Pilgrim, the Drive one is beautiful too, but any chance that it loses value?! This is just too expensive for posters.
Not all of those are Ansin prints but the one that would be fairly easy and reasonably priced to get would be Stout's Wrath of Khan, it's a real beauty in person so I highly recommend it. Also what the hell dude, watch that movie NOW! The Legacy would be the next on the list as far as ease and price which is an Ansin. The next two you have listed is a toss up on price but Drive (Ken Taylor) should still be fairly easy to track down and SP (Ansin) still pops up every couple of months I believe one is listed right now on Ebay but you will pay a nice chunk of change for it but I will testify to the fact it's totally worth it. I didn't get my copy until last summer and I paid a hefty sum but I would have paid double the amount and still been happy. My advice would be to start slow pick one or two prints to target and go from there, also keep in mind if you're lucky enough to score on a drop you could always use that for trade bait but please be smart about it. Don't try and offer someone a Stout WoK for his The Thing or Lebowski, that is something that will get you a ton of crap from board members. This is a fun hobby if you can keep in mind you won't score every drop, there's always another drop just around the corner and this hobby shouldn't be viewed as a secondary source of income.

Cheers
SheldonCooper

Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 am

Thx for all the advice, yeah, I was a bit ignorant, found out later that Tron, SP is Ansin, and WOK Stout. I definitely want to get WOK (I just started watching the ST movies ^^ ), and Tron Legacy. And if I get my prints, I would never do trades (plus I'm in Europe, so it would be a bit unpractical).

I'm holding off a bit, first of all coz I don't have right now 150 bucks to blow on a print (Max Payne 3 and Diablo III say hello ^^ ), and also because I'm waiting to see what they'll do with Prometheus, Spidey and Dark Knight Rises, pretty sure there'll be a print for each of them, and I'm eager to see what they'll do, hope I'll have better luck this time ordering one (not like the Avengers fiasco).

Otherwise, I know it's not the thread for this, but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.

Ansin seems much more consistent.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 am

Some pics of the El Topo variant:

As said prior, the metallics make it pop more than the regular, imo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am

I agree--that looks great.
bert
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 am

Nice photos - it's a beauty, that's for sure. I know El Topo isn't exactly a mainstream film, but if Mondo dropped this, it would have been gone within about 2 minutes. I finally pounced on a regular last week as I have been procrastinating on it for ages due to the high cost of shipping to the UK, but knew I'd kick myself when it sold out. Looking forward to it arriving...
CrustaR
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am

That el Topo variant is one of Martin's best!
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
aivc
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 11:50 am

SheldonCooper wrote:Thx for all the advice, yeah, I was a bit ignorant, found out later that Tron, SP is Ansin, and WOK Stout. I definitely want to get WOK (I just started watching the ST movies ^^ ), and Tron Legacy. And if I get my prints, I would never do trades (plus I'm in Europe, so it would be a bit unpractical).

I'm holding off a bit, first of all coz I don't have right now 150 bucks to blow on a print (Max Payne 3 and Diablo III say hello ^^ ), and also because I'm waiting to see what they'll do with Prometheus, Spidey and Dark Knight Rises, pretty sure there'll be a print for each of them, and I'm eager to see what they'll do, hope I'll have better luck this time ordering one (not like the Avengers fiasco).

Otherwise, I know it's not the thread for this, but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.

Ansin seems much more consistent.
Very refreshing to see another new-comer who doesn't make Stout to be a god of prints or something. Seems like everyone on Eb loves him. I personnaly don't think his prints are awesome, it just looks like he "assembles" all the character from a movie into a single poster. I mean, it's really not bad, but I do think his work is a bit overrated, especially on these boards.

BTW, where are you from in Europe ? I'm in Belgium.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.