Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby DaveWill on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 am

Its definitely a show with a lot more depth than most, it reminds me a little of watching the Wire, you gotta pay attention to the whole show otherwise things get confusing. Most of the American TV I watch (Dexter/24/Prison Break etc) is a lot easier to follow but obviously its the depth of GoT that makes it so interesting. I'd love to design a GoT poster, Id have to get my head around all the families first though!
DaveWill
Art Enthusiast

Postby Codeblue on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Codeblue wrote:Ya'll can take the fun out of anything.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby Philpenn on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 am

Looking forward to Tywin Lannister being in the next episode heavily. Seems like an interesting character. The majority of his family is pretty terrible, but Tyrion seems like a good guy so far so maybe they're not all so bad. With the Cersie/Jamie rumor going around, I wonder if he knows and whether he's cool with it if so.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Image T.K.C.

Postby DaveWill on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Picked up the first 2 books last night in my local supermarket, £3.50 each! Bit daunting looking at the size of them but Ill give it a good go!
DaveWill
Art Enthusiast

Postby seeker1115 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 pm

It weird, in a way, Tyrion is actually the Lannister who's most like Tywin in terms of intelligence. Tyrion is the same kind of pragmatist, and he's a no bullshit kind of strategist. He's the kind of person who understands this world, and if he could be on better terms with Joffrey, which probably won't happen, he would be perfect for the position.
seeker1115
Art Connoisseur

Dear anybody, please do a badass print of Rian Johnson's Brick. If necessary, I'll buy them all.

Postby mistersmith on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 pm

seeker1115 wrote:It weird, in a way, Tyrion is actually the Lannister who's most like Tywin in terms of intelligence. Tyrion is the same kind of pragmatist, and he's a no bullshit kind of strategist. He's the kind of person who understands this world, and if he could be on better terms with Joffrey, which probably won't happen, he would be perfect for the position.

The difference I see between the two is, and I haven't read a word of the books so I'm mostly going off their "you're still my son" moment in the tent when he said he's making Tyrion the Hand, is that they're both intelligent and are great tacticians -- but Tywin believes he's the smartest guy in the kingdom, while Tyrion understands that he's vulnerable and still has things to learn.

Maybe that's why Tyrion is still alive and handling business at King's Landing, while Tywin is getting his ass beat by the Starks and is fleeing to a melted shithole castle to hide with the Mountain.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby tavee on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

DaveWill wrote:Its definitely a show with a lot more depth than most, it reminds me a little of watching the Wire, you gotta pay attention to the whole show otherwise things get confusing. Most of the American TV I watch (Dexter/24/Prison Break etc) is a lot easier to follow but obviously its the depth of GoT that makes it so interesting. I'd love to design a GoT poster, Id have to get my head around all the families first though!

If you haven't already check out the map on page 7 from Sir Smokealot.
tavee
Art Connoisseur

Postby jjbehren on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Be aware that that map has some spoilers.

The HBO show page is better for all your background info needs:

If you're just getting into the show, or if you want a refresher on who's who, go through the Season 1 guide and click on all the recommended reading links.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season1/#!/catchup/chapter1/

HBO's website has some good interactive maps and family trees that are specific to each episode, too.
jjbehren
Flipper

Postby machination on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Really liked episode 5. A lot of focus on the stronger female characters.
machination
EB Team

Postby mistersmith on Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 am

machination wrote:Really liked episode 5. A lot of focus on the stronger female characters.

A very-San-Franciscan female in my office said she wouldn't watch Game of Thrones because it was "misogynistic." I was like, have you seen the show? She said she only saw the first one, and that was all she needed to see. I'm like, well, since then, your poor little rape victim has become the future most powerful person in the world, a woman was essentially running the throne, blah blah blah.

But I guess if she was honest about the show she wouldn't have anything to complain about. Goddamn San Franciscans.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby DaveWill on Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 am

jjbehren wrote:Be aware that that map has some spoilers.

The HBO show page is better for all your background info needs:

If you're just getting into the show, or if you want a refresher on who's who, go through the Season 1 guide and click on all the recommended reading links.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season1/#!/catchup/chapter1/

HBO's website has some good interactive maps and family trees that are specific to each episode, too.

Thanks so much for that link, that is such a great overview, just reading that reminded me of things Id forgotten or overlooked. Episode 5 was on in the UK last night and was enjoyable again. It lacked the drama of ep4 but it was still well worth watching. The overall look of the show really is excellent, the CGI is used sparingly to good effect and the scenery is superb, Im definitely enjoying the show more and more as it progresses.
DaveWill
Art Enthusiast

Postby machination on Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 am

mistersmith wrote:
machination wrote:Really liked episode 5. A lot of focus on the stronger female characters.

A very-San-Franciscan female in my office said she wouldn't watch Game of Thrones because it was "misogynistic." I was like, have you seen the show? She said she only saw the first one, and that was all she needed to see. I'm like, well, since then, your poor little rape victim has become the future most powerful person in the world, a woman was essentially running the throne, blah blah blah.

But I guess if she was honest about the show she wouldn't have anything to complain about. Goddamn San Franciscans.

haha

There were some things I was skeptical about at the beginning, but it's still a realistic portrayal of gender relations at the time. And it's entertaining and relatively balanced.
machination
EB Team

Postby cargoflipper on Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

No Joffrey again... :cry:
cargoflipper
Art Expert

hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days

Postby KMW089 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 am

Agreed. I like that the show has shown that Margaery is playing her own game, rather than being a pawn. I know some stuff I wrote last week may have made it seem like I'm opposed to any deviations from the book but the changes they made this week really add to the story. Especially changing Arya to Tywin's cupbearer because that scene was amazing. The Arya/Jaqen H'ghar interactions were great too. By the way, the guy who plays Jaqen could read the phone book and I'd listen.

One last random thought: Pyat Pree is creepy as hell. :shock: (Can't wait until they do the House of the Undying!)
KMW089
Art Connoisseur

Postby machination on Tue May 01, 2012 10:24 am

KMW089 wrote:By the way, the guy who plays Jaqen could read the phone book and I'd listen.

Pyat Pree is creepy as hell.

Agreed on both counts. I'm really enjoying the casting this season.
machination
EB Team

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV