LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
rmoore
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 am

mobius006 wrote:
rmoore wrote:Haha, sets be damned once your kids start playing with them. I've given my SW Lego collection over to my son and they've all been torn apart and mixed into who the hell knows what. And I love it!
As a kid i mostly kept sets together. It may have to do with the fact that I got yelled as a kid for mixing playdoh...
Yep, me too. And there's no play doh mixing around here. But I'm trying to let go of my anal retentive upbringing. :)
skis007
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:02 am

I have great memories of my grand LEGO creations as a kid. Good Times.
ImAMonster
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 am

shoeless wrote:
Has anyone picked up the Millennium Falcon? Been looking at it and the X-Wing.

My gf is gonna hate this. Thankfully, she's out of the country for the next 4 weeks 8) Gonna comeback to a full on battle with the dark side!
I have both sets, and you can't go wrong with either one. I actually got really good deals on both buying them from ebay. I picked up the falcon for a $100, and my xwing for $30 (no box). Both are super fun builds, the xwing is really cool how it comes together and how the wings go into attack position, and the falcon is just awesome. The minifigs are really good, especially if you're just starting out, and its a solid 5-6 hour build. Lot of fun. (and I do the same thing, wait for the fiancee to travel for work and then get my build on... usually with one of the movies playing in the background: pure nerdgasm!)
ImageImageImage T.H.C. x3

Well, what do you expect, mother? I'm half machine!
Grtdane06
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Do any of you guys glue your sets together?

My 8 year old son is a lego fanatic, builds almost all the sets by himself but likes to play with them as well. I find some of the more complex sets are not as solid for simple play.
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:04 pm

I Just found this thread, been a big LEGO fan since I was very small and just recently got back into them. Pretty much only doing the Architecture series right now. Currently I have the Robie House, Fallingwater, Gugenheim, Burj Kahlifa, Brandenbourg Gate, and Sears Tower. I got to meet the artist, Adam Reed Tucker, in Chicago at the Frank Lloyd Wright house walk and he had the much larger scale model of Fallingwater with him. I'm excited to see what else LEGO puts out in this series, as it's one of the few things in life that's grown up but also childish and I love them.
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
rmoore
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Grtdane06 wrote:Do any of you guys glue your sets together?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I feel this akin to letting the framer drymount your prints. :P
Grtdane06
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:45 pm

:D LOL, I knew I was setting myself up for a thrashing!

I just find my son is spending as much time rebuilding as he is playing. These are not for display purposes!
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
galactus43
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:17 am

Nice thread, being getting back into Lego for a little while now. Here are a couple of my recent MOCs (my own creations). The Lego sets are real nice, but no point leaving stuff on the shelf to gather dust...

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/319786

Holden Commodore SS Highway Patrol
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/310183

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/302673

Also a fun way to spend time with the kids
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/265544
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am

I want to see the Jurassic Park/Spiderman crossover.

Awesome.
That's what she said
galactus43
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am

finneganm wrote:I want to see the Jurassic Park/Spiderman crossover.

Awesome.
8) Cheers!
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Grtdane06 wrote::D LOL, I knew I was setting myself up for a thrashing!

I just find my son is spending as much time rebuilding as he is playing. These are not for display purposes!
Depends on the situation. My friend's son loves the Ninjago stuff. He's not really into making his own creations, just wants the sets built per the instructions. They glue some of the pieces that seem to fall off easily. Otherwise, their son plays for 10 minutes, it breaks, he cries/gets all bent out of shape, and mom or dad have to put it back together again. Rinse and repeat. They're toys. Do what you need to do to make your son the happiest.
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm

My kids are HUGE into LEGO's, my son has a ton of city vehicles, 4 full train sets with a 8x4 train table, as well as a handful of Star Wars sets. I also have a few star wars sets of my own (falcon, x-wing, tie fighter) which I of course let my kids play with, they just have be more careful not to lose anything and to put them back on the shelf when they are done. My daughter also has her own stash of Friends sets, but occasionally builds her own "creations" out of her big brothers stash of loose pieces, which is all the random incomplete stuff from when I was a kid. The only complete set I have from my childhood is the yellow castle, I even have the box and directions!
karza
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:39 pm

I used to play with these sets when I was a kid

wish my mom hadn't tossed them, love those little space dudes :D
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 pm

^^^ YES! now that's lego! i love the star wars lego but space lego is the business!
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the directions and parts for that Space shuttle 442 set, or something really close to it! If I can find it and build (well if my son will let me that is, lol) I'll get some pics!