Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

mcnail wrote:You didn't accidentally buy the light-duty handout tubes did you?
I once ordered a mixed thing of Yazoo tubes (3"/4"), and they came in the same kind of box.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:54 pm

I believe they're 18" long, and 3" or 4" diameter. I swear something was posted. Might have been in Mark's FB Group, though.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 pm

We've gotten similar Yazoo boxes here from the shipping tubes. All about the size etc.
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
markenglert
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:40 pm

They are 3x18 shipping tubes... They had to deliver them in "cartons" since they were being delivered to my residence and not an office.

I don't think the handout tubes are even offered in that size.

I'll take some comparison tube pics in a bit :P
mcnail
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 pm

markenglert wrote:They are 3x18 shipping tubes... They had to deliver them in "cartons" since they were being delivered to my residence and not an office.

I don't think the handout tubes are even offered in that size.

I'll take some comparison tube pics in a bit :P
Ah, cool.
chump1039
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:55 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:
RobotTails wrote:do a Shadow of the Colossus print. You must.
Pretty please. And Yay! on the Carlin.

shut up and take my money!
markenglert
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Bigger tube is from Mondo, my Totoro(reg) came in that one, I believe:

Wall thickness is the same, but looks like I missed out on the fancy Yazoo Mills stamp on the inside:

Also, my plastic caps came separately in a big box of their own.
Last edited by markenglert on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markenglert
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

KSUvet wrote:
markenglert wrote:Hm, after trying to take pics of det er en slags ting GID, I've decided to have that re-made as well... I want to beef that up a bit so you can more easily tell what it is.

Right now, the explosion is the only thing the reads well and if you really look hard, you can make out the rest... I want it to be like, "Whoa!" and not like, "Huh? Oh, I think... ohhhh."
That's kind of the way I felt about the preview image on p. 56, but I figured it was more of a photography issue than a print issue. You really have to have a tripod and long exposure to capture it well in my exerience. What is the plan for this, if you don't mind me asking? I assume it involves a re-draw somehow since I don't think you can just make the ink "glow more." It may be a bit of a catch-22. If you make the cloud stuff more prominent for the dark, you may lose the subtle quality in the day. But what the hell do I know Image? I think we all appreciate that you're trying to get the most out of these. :clap:
In person, the GID is noticeable, but subtle enough that unless you know what you are looking for, or have a reg right next to it, you wouldn't notice it much. As far as the particular ink, I defer to the printer's knowledge and I trust that guy to no end.

I would rather notice it a bit more and be wowed when it glows, then barely notice it in the day and night.

I sent a beefed up version to the printer last night(I don't have to redraw the whole thing to beef it up :P) and I'll wait for his opinion. Martin has been really excellent about collaborating on this and when you see it for yourself in person, you'll have him to thank as much as me.
Brody
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 pm

No fancy yazoo stamp? Mark, mark, I may have to rethink my order... :wink:
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:11 pm

markenglert wrote: I would rather notice it a bit more and be wowed when it glows, then barely notice it in the day and night.
Good point.
Brody wrote:No fancy yazoo stamp? Mark, mark, I may have to rethink my order... :wink:
Yep, clearly doesn't care about quality or customer satisfaction. :P
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
shibby
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 am

sorry to derail the thread a bit, but since we're on the topic of yazoo mills tubes, I was looking at their tubes on their site and noticed that these are listed as "Light-Duty Handout Tubes"

Is that really the case there? The ones with the white lining inside are considered 'handout' tubes? Cause in person, they seem pretty thick and are thicker than your standard Uline tube it seems.
markenglert
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 am

It all has to do with the thickness of the tube... "handout" tubes wouldn't have to go through the rigors of shipping, so they wouldn't need to be as sturdy. No need to pay for heavy duty tubes if you are just storing blueprints or handing out posters at an event.

They have all sorts of options on the site, I just went straight to the heavy duty shipping tubes section and got the size that IJ suggested I get.
KeyLoC
Art Enthusiast

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Can't wait to get mine :drool: , been looking forward to it all month :pint:
High quality poster weights, Star Wars Poster Weights. http://corkys.bigcartel.com (Use KeyLoC as a referral)
markenglert
Art Expert

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 am

"we have about seven minutes to live"

18x24, 4 colors, WIP:

golobulus
Art Expert

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 am

That's how I would want to spend my last 7 minutes... but without the pony tail :D