Ebeans Mobile App

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Has a mobile app been considered for development? I saw that they have one for the banksy forum using ProBoards http://www.proboards.com/mobile
How can we get one for ebeans? I'd imagine it could help raise money and support the site as well as adding more mobile capabilities for those of us who can't get enough...

I assume this has been brought up before??
schmoff
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

i support this thread
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 am

There is no app as such, but there is this neat trick you can do in Safari (assuming you are talking about apps for iphones and ipads)
In Safari, navigate to the home or my page of EB, hit the share button Image
Choose "Add to Home screen" from the list
Safari digs into EB and pulls out a nice little EB logo that was specifically put there ages ago, for this very use.
The EB logo will now appear on your home screen, and will link you straight to EB, via Safari.
The site wraps pretty neatly on iDevices as it is, without really needing an app.
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 am

Last word on it.
new.PNG
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
bigmuls
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am

trarex wrote:Last word on it.
new.PNG
Yes, it would cost $$, but I think it could be done for under $10K and maybe less with the right "volunteers".
comical_imbalance wrote:There is no app as such, but there is this neat trick you can do in Safari (assuming you are talking about apps for iphones and ipads)
In Safari, navigate to the home or my page of EB, hit the share button Image
Choose "Add to Home screen" from the list
Safari digs into EB and pulls out a nice little EB logo that was specifically put there ages ago, for this very use.
The EB logo will now appear on your home screen, and will link you straight to EB, via Safari.
The site wraps pretty neatly on iDevices as it is, without really needing an app.
That's a cool trick, thanks!
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am

You're welcome!
That trick applies to every website you visit. EB was ahead of the curve though, and we put the logo in, otherwise you just get a little screenshot of the page as your homescreen/icon.
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
calexico
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 am

So Forum Runner or Taptalk does not work with EP? I spend so much time here and I would have liked to try one of these apps.
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 am

Site runs well on new iPad . What would an app even do? Fine with a bookmark
maden
Art Expert

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 am

calexico wrote:So Forum Runner or Taptalk does not work with EP? I spend so much time here and I would have liked to try one of these apps.
Who pays for apps? Oddly enough, my girlfriend bought an app that cost like $75. Blew my drymounting mind.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

calexico
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:06 am

mobius006 wrote:Site runs well on new iPad . What would an app even do? Fine with a bookmark
You can get push notification for a thread you are subscribed to is posted in with these apps.

Or is it also possible to subscribe to a thread and get notification via email?

EdIt: just found it
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 pm

itsame wrote:i made this thread a bookmark and then assigned this gesture to it on my smart phone:

the price curve of some older EMEKs?
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:21 pm

bump..
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

That's pretty funny that it was said to cost that much.

phpBB has a ton of themes that you can implement and a good amount of them don't look incredible dated.

http://themeforest.net/item/metro-a-res ... b3/4559274

That is a very nice theme that has mobile support as well as some other nice features like color'd themes, etc.

I'm guessing the main issue with adding a new theme is getting to play nicely with the eb database (collection/will trade/etc.)
Go ahead, make my millennium.
1nkling
Site Admin

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Unfortunately its not that simple. The site consists of various parts. The forum, a portal page, the art database and the wiki. These have all been spliced together and the theme has been adapted to work. Any new theme would need to be adapted in the same way and from what I can tell it'll take a fair bit of tinkering.

Tapatalk may be an option but would only work for the forums so again some adapting would probably have to happen.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Or people can just upgrade to a phone that doesn't suck.

I've had zero problems whatsoever, using both a 4yr old Sony Xperia Arc and a now 2yr old Samsung Galaxy S4.

An expensive dedicated app really isn't necessary, nor should it be incumbent upon Expressobeans to finance a very costly project for a select minority of users who choose to access EB in a less conventional way.
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ