Stampede 11 Keyes

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Celsius wrote:
holycow wrote:how do people bring prints this big into the framers? i'm afraid if i try to bring it in flattened, it'll get damaged in the process. maybe best to just give it to them tubed and let them flatten it?
Who ever said this thing will not ship flat? :P
The product page in Josh's store said it would be shipping in a tube.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:25 pm

holycow wrote:how do people bring prints this big into the framers? i'm afraid if i try to bring it in flattened, it'll get damaged in the process. maybe best to just give it to them tubed and let them flatten it?
The other recommendations are good, but I usually put the print in between acid free foam board, clip it together with binder clips, and bring that in. Or bring in my portfolio. This one though you might need a couple AF boards on the top and bottom.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 pm

We got Peacedog here. He just looks at a poster and it slides into one of his frames like pudding down Kirstie Alley's throat.
felocin
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm just going to fold mine in half so it fits in my portfolio. :P
heathunter881

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm

passed up on this image mainly because of the huge size. this is a much better image than Sowers though. good luck to those that grabbed one, two, or three directly from Keyes
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm

heathunter881 wrote:passed up on this image mainly because of the huge size. this is a much better image than Sowers though. good luck to those that grabbed one, two, or three directly from Keyes
You came so close to making a post without a 'HEE-HAW' in it, so close.
JDel
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 pm

:rolling: :rolling:
ironjaiden wrote:We got Peacedog here. He just looks at a poster and it slides into one of his frames like pudding down Kirstie Alley's throat.
heathunter881

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
heathunter881 wrote:passed up on this image mainly because of the huge size. this is a much better image than Sowers though. good luck to those that grabbed one, two, or three directly from Keyes
You came so close to making a post without a 'HEE-HAW' in it, so close.
im trying buddy lol
saL
Art Expert

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 am

Josh just shared this photo showing the print quality of these.. they do look top notch!

Scurvy
Art Enthusiast

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:35 am

anybody receive theirs yet?
ejg904
Art Expert

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 am

not yet but according to the JK forum, these were beginning to ship on Monday.

is it a bad idea to take it straight to the framer in the tube? can they be trusted to make sure it's totally flat before framing or is it a better idea to flatten it myself then bring it in to the guys between foam core?
Chico wrote:
i work in sales. w2 last year was +150K, this year, at 87% of year goal to date and on pace for +200K

want to compare bank accounts, wives, and art portfolios?
saL
Art Expert

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:20 am

here is an interesting text on how this print was made, posted by Hooten from PixelPoint @ Josh's forum:
Generally speaking making a print is pretty straight forward.... take a picture of the artwork, diddle with it in Photoshop and then print it out on a nice printer. Now all the detail between "photograph and print" varies depending upon whose doing the "diddling" and what the client artist expects in the way of results. In the ten years I've been creating print masters for artists and producing their fine art prints I can only think of one project more challenging than Stampede. The steps to create Stampede will give you a pretty good idea of what's involved. Here goes:

Stampede required a custom frame to "scroll" the artwork so that it could be photographed in overlapping segments. I took eight photographs with a Digital Hasselblad and merged them into an 8500x20,000 pixel panorama. Josh's work has unique characteristics in that his are acrylics ( which have a reflective surface that can cause glare on the image ) with extremely fine "nearly whites" against a "pure white" base. Ensuring all the detail he painstakingly puts into his pieces must be painstakingly worked back into his print masters ( the image file used to print the editions ).

The Photoshop work progressed in stages. The first step was to build what is called a mask to separate the white background from the painted detail, then go back by hand to ensure nothing was lost in the process - like translucent feathers in the tails of each bird for example. Next comes color matching to the original, followed by fine tuning or "translating" unprintable colors into the available pigments reproducible with ink. There are paint pigments that cannot be printed with inkjet ink (highly saturated reds or blues like cobalt - Josh likes to use unprintable blues! ). The last step is to create a proof and make "adjustments" to breath life into the final print, a rather subjective but truly important step. My goal in creating prints is to make editions that recreate the heart of the original - so far I haven't found an automated tool for that. By far the hardest step in the whole process is showing the print to the artist for his reaction...

Lest I wear out welcome I'll keep this short... hope this gives you the flavor you were looking for. Statistics wise, Stampede took an hour to photograph, 26 hours in Photoshop, four proof cycles on three different printers ( to assess which printer/ink characteristics best reproduced this particular piece ) followed by 96 hours of printing ( we won't talk about hand deckling ). Was it worth it? We await the verdict of the jurors...

who10 aka Hooten at PixelPoint
ejg904
Art Expert

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:24 pm

wow. cool to learn all that goes into the print making process.

i am woefully ignorant when it comes to that aspect, so definitely interesting to hear how laborious it is
Chico wrote:
i work in sales. w2 last year was +150K, this year, at 87% of year goal to date and on pace for +200K

want to compare bank accounts, wives, and art portfolios?
Tominator
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:26 pm

^^great post - very interesting.

Look forward to these arriving
Lomier66
Art Expert

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:48 am

Whoa! Had no idea what a Digital Hasselblad was... but a quick Google search informs me that it is the furthest thing from a cheap camera I have ever seen :shock: !

Great post! Always wondered what the process was, so good to get an insight form a professional. :D
In the ten years I've been creating print masters for artists and producing their fine art prints I can only think of one project more challenging than Stampede
Would be interesting to know what that was...
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/