REMOVING CREASES OUT OF POSTERS?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
HelpMeHelpYou

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi,

I have a poster that a guy mailed to me that has a crease pretty much all the way down the middle because the genius rolled the poster from side to side and not top to bottom. I am wondering if anyone at all knows if this can be fixed or am I just out of luck?
oldfartatplay
Art Expert

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:28 pm

HelpMeHelpYou wrote:Hi,

I have a poster that a guy mailed to me that has a crease pretty much all the way down the middle because the genius rolled the poster from side to side and not top to bottom. I am wondering if anyone at all knows if this can be fixed or am I just out of luck?
ask them to refund your $ and send it back. The damage could be repaired to make it look better but never be
"fixed". If it's creased the fibers in the paper are broken.
HelpMeHelpYou

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:54 pm

oldfartatplay wrote:

ask them to refund your $ and send it back. The damage could be repaired to make it look better but never be

How exactly would I go about repairing it?
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

is it bent or a hard crease?

chances are you either need to get a refund or just have it drymounted. it will look good in a frame but will never be worth anything
oldfartatplay
Art Expert

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 pm

HelpMeHelpYou wrote:
oldfartatplay wrote:

that depends upon many different things. First as jamesgunter said, "is it bent or a hard crease?". If it's a hard crease the fibers in the paper are broken, they can not be fixed. A professional can probably make it look nice but sometimes when this happens you will also see the ink or paint flaking off of the print in the damaged area. I have used an iron set on low to get some creases out with both good and horrid results.
I guess the bottom line is, if it's a print that you will not be able to find anywhere else ever again and you have to have it, then bring it to a professional to repair what they can or ignore it or ask the seller to refund you.
BTW what print is it?
HelpMeHelpYou

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 pm

oldfartatplay wrote:
HelpMeHelpYou wrote:
oldfartatplay wrote:

that depends upon many different things. First as jamesgunter said, "is it bent or a hard crease?". If it's a hard crease the fibers in the paper are broken, they can not be fixed. A professional can probably make it look nice but sometimes when this happens you will also see the ink or paint flaking off of the print in the damaged area. I have used an iron set on low to get some creases out with both good and horrid results.
I guess the bottom line is, if it's a print that you will not be able to find anywhere else ever again and you have to have it, then bring it to a professional to repair what they can or ignore it or ask the seller to refund you.
BTW what print is it?

It does mean a lot to me. It is a TooL 2010 Kansas City poster. Only like 280 made I believe. I would have to look to be sure but it is rare. The crease isn't a fold it is just a crease. I should take a pic and post it so everyone can see. I would love to be able to fix it.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:28 pm

I need to put together a how-to thread on using an iron to get creases out. Works very well.

Put poster face-down on Mat board. Set iron to high, no steam. Place piece of kraft paper over the crease. Iron out.
edderlyj
Art Expert

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 pm

sasquatch wrote:I need to put together a how-to thread on using an iron to get creases out. Works very well.

Put poster face-down on Mat board. Set iron to high, no steam. Place piece of kraft paper over the crease. Iron out.
:shock: sorry I missed this before SQ, muchas gracias. Has this worked 100% of the time for you, and has it worked on prints with heavy ink? (or got a link to the old thread these questions were asked before? ;))
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 am

HelpMeHelpYou wrote:because the genius rolled the poster from side to side and not top to bottom.
That doesn't have anything to do with it. You think the paper knows the difference?
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:27 am

sasquatch wrote:I need to put together a how-to thread on using an iron to get creases out. Works very well.

I read this here a while back (probably from you) and it actually works really well. I've gotten a good half dozen creases out of posters doing exactly that :pint:
HelpMeHelpYou

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:24 am

mistersmith wrote:
HelpMeHelpYou wrote:because the genius rolled the poster from side to side and not top to bottom.
That doesn't have anything to do with it. You think the paper knows the difference?
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 am

Try giving it a tight roll top to bottom and store it away a while. That should lessen it (or eliminate it depending on pronounced it is).
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 am

^

Wtf?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm

mistersmith wrote:
Actually, there is some relevance to what the op is saying. Paper has a grain. Depending on the grain of the paper and the direction of the fold/crease, the damage will be different.

In other words, not necessarily important to know that it was rolled top to bottom or side to side, but more so whether it was with or against the grain.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
v1101011
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Hate to hijack this thread but would this work on a crushed/bent corner?