Suggestion - 30 Day Wait period before posting

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
1nkling
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

jamesmassey1988 wrote:So are new members orange now? For the first 30 days? Clarification?
First couple of posts are being moderated to check for spammers.. 30 days would be a lot of work..

This seems to be working ok so far.. You should see the amount of spam that hasn't made it to the forum.. :shock:

So, anyone who hated the spam can thank me for my help stopping it by PBing for me at SDCC ya know.. :lol:
My up to date trades and ISOs.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Most the spam bots seem to be gone, but wouldn't a pass-phrase work to eliminate them all together? You know, the ones where the numbers and letters are all jumbled.

Input a pass-phrase for new members up to like 30 posts or something.
1nkling
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm

HisBobness wrote:Most the spam bots seem to be gone, but wouldn't a pass-phrase work to eliminate them all together? You know, the ones where the numbers and letters are all jumbled.

Input a pass-phrase for new members up to like 30 posts or something.
The only spambots that have got through since it was activated were ones that signed up before the new user group was initiated..

(Oh and one I approved by accident while helping to set it up.. :oops: )

The bots have already beaten the captcha on the registration page so having one on a set number of posts would probably be pointless. Not to mention tricky to put into place.

I think considering the significantly lessened flow of spam now and the vigilance of the mod team it should be fairly easy to deal with.. :notworthy:
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 pm

I miss flagging Bot posts. Felt like I was doing something useful.
That's what she said
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Haven't seen any spam bots in a lloooonnnnnggg time :clap:
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:29 pm

RiotAct wrote:Haven't seen any spam bots in a lloooonnnnnggg time :clap:
:D
redbrew
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Hi,

Now that all the banned turds keep making new eb names and mucking up the place, I think it would be a great idea to implement a wait period before posting. Sure it won't eliminate all the trash, but could reduce the amount of time that mods have to clean the muck up and the spam bots.

Anyways, keep up the great work Mods.
I can appreciate this comment having my share of negative experiences in other forums. Who wants trolls, especially if they were exiled already. But if one considers the possibility that the majority of new users are not exiled trolls, then one would almost definitely be denying the personality mix that makes social behavior fun and exhilarating to be a part of. If I had to wait 30 days to ask a question about something I am interested in, I would have had to find another place as my outlet. I want to hear from those that love the subject matter whether they are a noob or a vetrain member.

As a noob, I cannot search any posts and everything I write has to be pre-approved. Is that not enough discouragement?
dirkstainly
EB Team

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 pm

One of the IT jobs being outsourced is to hire people in places where they aren't paid very much to spam message boards and forums like this one. It's a classic case of "one bad apple..." Actually, many bad apples, in this case.

The "noob" requirement to have posts approved doesn't last very long. You just need a couple of posts approved to get to where they don't require approval going forward. The ability to search should be enabled after that, so I'm told.