Suggestion - 30 Day Wait period before posting

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:17 am

GatorsCanes wrote:FWIW Heathunter would just create 50 handles (one per day) and as soon as the 30 day period is up he'd post under each new handle that is allowed to post.....Just sharing my immediate thought

My immediate thought.

Bullets are cheap.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:17 am

I'm with the seal up there ^

Edit: damn, next page. Curses.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 am

As a newer member I would have been ok with a 30 day period without posting in order to get a feel for the community. Would it go for making offers to members/buying prints listed for sale? I don't know if this would solve the problem since people can just continually make new screen names ahead of time and still be able to scam members but it would cut down on some of the trolling/spamming threads with douche-like comments.
I would also like to say that I find if you don't conduct yourself like a prick, this board can be pretty friendly, so thx.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:New people should have to spend 30 days from signing up just learning the dynamic of the board, before they're permitted to post.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
Bickel

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

I posted this in another thread, but to add to this, make new members take a quiz re: rules & site features (only thing I could think of that would do this right would be some kind of online survey) that requires a certain grade to pass into posting mode.

I think that the 30 day grace period is a good idea, but one thing I remember from myspace is always reading about a 7 day wait period from people who had been banned...the kind of people who get banned usually know they're going to get banned at some point, and once the grace period is put into effect, they'll create multiple profiles at once so that if one gets banned, they have one waiting. I knew a guy who went through 30 profiles in a month...the guy was an insane, racist, gore-posting troll, of course, but every time he got banned, he was right back at it.

Also, if I had to wait 30 days to post, I'd just set the date in my ical and come back in a month, because it would be boring just hanging out in a forum and not being able to interact.

Maybe a one profile allowed to post per IP rule?
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 am

i know a lot of people will not agree with me on this, but have a register fee for the first timer, this will get rid of some of the multiple handles.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Bickel wrote:Also, if I had to wait 30 days to post, I'd just set the date in my ical and come back in a month, because it would be boring just hanging out in a forum and not being able to interact.
Really? I waited ages and just read the forums for a while before I even signed up, let alone my first post. Why would you have to post instanty? This would still be a very good source for information, even if you couldn't post.

I can't see how it would be any worse than the system now. Things could only get better. Surely?
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 am

I think if you want to post in the forums and/or sell stuff you should be required to have a premium membership like over at gig posters.

Otherwise, you can browse the forums and continue to use the other resources for free.

That would be a win/win situation.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Bickel

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:
Bickel wrote:Also, if I had to wait 30 days to post, I'd just set the date in my ical and come back in a month, because it would be boring just hanging out in a forum and not being able to interact.
Really? I waited ages and just read the forums for a while before I even signed up, let alone my first post. Why would you have to post instanty? This would still be a very good source for information, even if you couldn't post.

I can't see how it would be any worse than the system now. Things could only get better. Surely?
I probably wouldn't always post instantly, but then, if I'm even thinking about getting into the time-suck that is most forums, I've probably done a fair amount of reading on any forum that I think is worth joining. Like this place - I read up on it quite a bit before signing up and posting. The main thing is the interaction - if all you want to do is read, you don't have to sign up. If you're not a bot and you're signing up, it's because you want to interact with others that are here.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am

yup, what Sean said.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am

jojobadass wrote:I think if you want to post in the forums and/or sell stuff you should be required to have a premium membership like over at gig posters.

Otherwise, you can browse the forums and continue to use the other resources for free.

That would be a win/win situation.
Not a bad Idea.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
GarthMarenghi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:39 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:

As a new member who's not here to scam people I do agree with the good source of info thing, but imposing a waiting period might have prevented me from joining EB at all (you can read the forums without joining anyway). I like participating in topics every now and then - and the only thing you will have to fear from most newbies are their stupid remarks, no?

Now another thing for me would be buying stuff from new members. If I were to try selling prints on EB, I would completely understand if nobody wanted to do business with me until I have proven to be a trustworthy member.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 am

sidewaysscott wrote:yup, what Sean said.
Who's Sean?
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
Wawaad
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:

same here waited ages, more of years really, I actually first registered in 2008 I think but never posted, just watched and read for over a year, then got too busy for a year or so and when I came back I had no clue what my user name and password was or even the email I registered with
moral of the story there is enough material and knowledge in this forum to read and learn from for at least couple years so yeah a month is nothing, just don't forget your password :hanging:
Last edited by Wawaad on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have No Fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Nation is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:57 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:yup, what Sean said.
Who's Sean?
jojo
Tra la la la la...