Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 pm

bigmuls wrote:This only applies to prints shipped to the UK, correct?
The tariff codes / reduced fee amounts differ from country to country but the principles apply to all countries that are signed up to the harmonized tariff (HS tariff) system.

I will see if I can dig out where to look up the codes for each country
bigmuls
Art Expert

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm curious if I should be adding the code to all international shipments that I send out or just to the UK.
bert
Art Expert

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 am

Parcelforce incorrectly charged me duty on an item that was marked as a gift and below the £39 limit.

They are stating that if I claim the VAT back from HMRC, I will also get the £13.50 handling fee refunded by HMRC...is that correct? I would have thought I'd only get the VAT back and Parcelforce would have to refund me the £13.50 handling fee?
soupysound
EB Team

Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 am

i'm a US resident and bought a print form a UK seller. does anyone have any experience or knowledge of receiving a letter from state comptroller requesting state use tax on a UK imported print? is art / printed paper exempt? i've bought many prints from overseas and have never had to pay state tax. maybe this one was flagged due to the price point being higher (and worth collecting)?

tariff code 9701100000
"Paintings, Drawing And Pastels Other Than Of Heading 4906"
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm

HippyChick wrote:
battleroyale wrote:Just been told by ups that 5% vat does not apply on prints if more than 30 are produced not sure if that's edition size or the amount of prints an artist releases in a year.

Anyone else heard of this
This only applies to photographs, not prints.
from section 11 of VAT Notice 702: imports (Updated 5 January 2017) https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 02-imports

11.1 Works of art
pictures, collages and similar decorative plaques, paintings and drawings, executed entirely by hand by the artist, other than plans and drawings for architectural, engineering, industrial, commercial, topographical or similar purposes, hand-decorated manufactured articles, theatrical scenery, studio back cloths or the like of painted canvas (Tariff heading 9701)
original engravings, prints and lithographs, being impressions produced in limited numbers directly in black and white or in colour of one or several plates executed entirely by hand by the artist, irrespective of the process or of the material employed by him, but not including any mechanical or photomechanical process (Tariff code 9702 00 00)
original sculptures and statuary, in any material, provided that they are executed entirely by the artist, sculpture casts (Tariff code 9703 00 00). See Notice 718 The VAT Margin Scheme and global accounting, for the definition of sculpture casts
tapestries (Tariff code 5805 00 00) and wall textiles, made by hand from original designs provided by artists, provided that there are not more than eight copies of each
individual pieces of ceramics executed entirely by the artist and signed by him
enamels on copper, executed entirely by hand, limited to eight numbered copies bearing the signature of the artist or the studio, excluding articles of jewellery and goldsmiths’ and silversmiths’ wares
photographs taken by the artist, printed by him or under his supervision, signed and numbered and limited to 30 copies, all sizes and mounts included

It's also worth noting that the tariff codes have changed slightly too so Original engravings, prints and lithographs that are not on wood are 9702000090

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/headings/9702
I.e. screenprints? It's probably worth editing the original post.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 am

Sent a tube to France, 2.8lbs of which I paid postage for 2.8lbs. Guy is telling me
"But you haven't paid the surcharge Post mail
For heavy package and I must paid 15 € for having my packet".

What is he talking about?
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 am

PLUSH wrote:Sent a tube to France, 2.8lbs of which I paid postage for 2.8lbs. Guy is telling me
"But you haven't paid the surcharge Post mail
For heavy package and I must paid 15 € for having my packet".

What is he talking about?
Sounds more likely he had a customs fee and he's confused. That or you under paid on postage but if that were the case it wouldn't get charged at the buyers end it would have been knocked back to you by the usps.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm having a helluva time trying to ship a print valued over $2500 to Romania. Anyone have advice on generating a AES/ITN number? I've gone way down into a rabbit hole...
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:48 am

bigmuls wrote:I'm having a helluva time trying to ship a print valued over $2500 to Romania. Anyone have advice on generating a AES/ITN number? I've gone way down into a rabbit hole...
Is insurance available for that much to Romania? DHL/FedEx?
bigmuls
Art Expert

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I managed to insure it for the full amount to Romania with USPS Express Mail International. Now it is being held for customs payment.
moosix
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am

Hello. What do I need to know now in order to import goods into the UK? What is VAT? Do I need to add any codes for international shipments? What goods do you ship? By the way, I heard that there is some kind of unusual postcodes, where can I find them? I'm especially interested in Manchester postcode. Thanks
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:52 am

So despite it being 2020 and this not being the most pressing issue right now, I just discovered this thread and am curious to know if 5% VAT on screen prints or any art prints is actually a thing (I notice this topic was started in 2012)? I've paid so much more than this in the past and never knew I was potentially being overcharged. Thanks in advance.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:34 am

I always put the 9702.00 tariff code for any hand made art prints that I send to the UK.

I am not sure it if it has worked on the other end.

I have had no response from customers, I also never got any complaints, so it must have worked.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:33 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
I always put the 9702.00 tariff code for any hand made art prints that I send to the UK.

I have had no response from customers, I also never got any complaints, so it must have worked.
So if I were overcharged and decided to file a claim, would my argument be that it should come under this tariff code?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:34 pm

mattlew69 wrote:

I used to do that years ago. Some people were appreciative. For the last 7 or 8 though... International goes first class, uninsured, low value stated, gift. It flies right through customs and is at that door sometimes faster than priority or express. Just pack solid, tube + a box (or triangle is the best).

I've sent hundreds this way, although not as many in the last year with so many buyers willing to use GSP. Good luck getting your money back when you overpay up front via that method. If the buyer is overpaying up front though I suspect they're not really worried about the money.