EB reaaaaally slow lately

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 am

View Active Topics appears to be hosed. Someone should fix that.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
dirkstainly
EB Team

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 am

sunsetbrew wrote:EB was under an attack by a foreign hacker. This hacker was stealing bandwidth and CPU usage which slowed the site down. I counter hacked his hacks, found the source and reported him to the provider he was using to control things. I removed his hacks and instituted a security backup to prevent the same hack from happening again. The security hole was in software EB uses, not software EB wrote and at no time was the user able to gain control to anything critical or any user information.

Truthfully, EB is under attack 24/7 without exaggeration and has been for many years. It is just a fact of life that there are people with no ethics.
Thank you for taking the time to look into this and fixing the issue. I'm tired of the "I 4m 1337! Giv3 m3 w4r3z" script kiddies.
IWish
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Could just be my internet connection...

I'm still getting the white page w/text page...happens fairly often. H-m-m-m...maybe it just happens when there's lots of people logged-on? Or...like I said, could just be my crap internet connection.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 pm

my page came up & said 'developers tools'. weird.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Codeblue wrote:View Active Topics appears to be hosed. Someone should fix that.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 pm

"View active Topics"
Please be more specific. Seems ok to me, but i have never used that feature.

Also what says developer tools? Please provide a link.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 am

View Active Topics used to show all threads that had a new post in it (very similar to the View new posts feature). The main difference was View Active Topics could be used without being logged in. Now it barely shows any threads even if they've recently been updated.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:42 am

I did a minor version forum upgrade a couple days ago. As with every upgrade, the forum folks change things. It may be possible that the data migration they performed temporarily messed with that feature. It is likely that it will start working fine on its own. In the last large EB upgrade we made it so the forum is loosely coupled with EB ensuring that the code and database is completely separate. That is good news in that the forum is hack free. The EB look is a skinning and nothing more. The automator is done using the "naruto" add-on (unchanged) which works by pulling forum code into it instead of putting it in the forum code once again keeping the forum pristine. The point is, the forum should be fine even if everything else breaks.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am

It's not working dude. Maybe the "upgrade" broke it or changed the way it works. For example, this thread should be showing up under View Active Topics, but it's not.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 am

Has the time stamp been fixed again?

my time stamp is 01:06 but EB shows different.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Time was off by about 143.600848 seconds. I have re-sinked the clock and selected a different set of time servers since the last ones were obviously not working.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:51 pm

How much will it cost to make this forum stop running so slowly when there's 100+ users?
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Can't deal... outta here.
dougr
Site Admin

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Codeblue wrote:It's not working dude. Maybe the "upgrade" broke it or changed the way it works. For example, this thread should be showing up under View Active Topics, but it's not.
apparently there was a bug in a past version of the forum software that meant all the forums were used for active topics even if the option was set to "no." in the recent update this has been fixed, but the setting for each forum/subforum had to be re-set, which has now been done...should be ok now, thanks for reporting this.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 pm

I realize that this site was created primarily to serve as a database. Not so much for the Forum use. However, it might be advantageous to include the text/content of the last post within the email notifications for thread subscriptions. This way, we aren't forced to come to the site to see what was posted. We can view/read the post in our email and decide if we want to come here to respond. It might cut-down on Forum traffic. This option is great...I bet phpBB has a setting for it.