What's up with the new/modified search?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:27 am

I noticed that the search on the front page has basically been changed so that the Advanced Search needs to be used. This is ok except for the Order By field. This was messing up all my searches until I figured out that it is the culprit. When I change the value to Default life is good again. How come if "Default" is supposed to be the default value, the TRUE default is set to "Viewed Today" sometimes when I log back in? Sometimes it's changed to "Last Added". What's going on here? This is pretty annoying, especially when I forget to manually change it. Is anybody else seeing this problem?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:38 am

I don't see why the advanced search "must" be used. If anything, I find the new search to be a lot more free since you can search for ANY artist, band, venue, city, year, etc. - or any combination of multiples of that at once. Generate all 2003 Pearl Jam pieces by searching "Pearl Jam 03" (or if you're daring, even "Pearl 03"). Or Hendrix Griffin. Or go for a series - try "BG Dead". They'll all return results. It is different, but try playing with it some.
Or you can always use the Advanced Search tab. Sorry that I can't speak to the default settings though...
Tra la la la la...
morst
EB Team

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:01 am

When you log back in, you reset your "cookie." The reset of the search mode has to do with that.

Actually, the main page search is the same as it was, as far as I know. . . It still does not include the venue field.

try these if you don't believe me:
http://expressobeans.com/search.php?text=annex
http://expressobeans.com/search.php?venue=807
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:27 am

Main page search includes the venue option for me. Try "Pixies Metro" - you'll get Grimshaw's Pixies Chicago 91 - which took place at the Metro.

EDIT:
Guess I see what you mean. That print has "Metro" in the text field. Maybe that's something to incorporate further down...
Tra la la la la...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:02 am

What about the "Order By" field???
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:12 pm

CodeBlue,

what you are experiencing is a bit of a design problem. The search pages has been resued again and again for different things especially where the order by is considered. For example, if you click on view lastest additions on the home page it triggers a new search with that order specified.

Since there are so many options on that page, we save your last used options. But since the same page is used for times when you don't fill out the forum, this is some confusion.

I will keep this in mind while refactoring the site.

I think you will like what we have in mind for the future.

Thomas Davis
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Thank you in advance!
jlinnihan
New User

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:55 pm

Can you add a link to the search page to the "Search" menu? Otherwise we need to go back to the home page each time we want to perform a new search.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 pm

jlinnihan wrote:Can you add a link to the search page to the "Search" menu? Otherwise we need to go back to the home page each time we want to perform a new search.
done, when the other pages get converted there will be a search box on every page.