how do you do a member search

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:20 am

under what querie, can i search for members names.

can i see which members have a poser in their collection, ie) the posters show that is in 67 or whatever number of collections, how can i see who owns that poster?
dougr
Site Admin

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:50 am

brucered wrote:under what querie, can i search for members names.

can i see which members have a poser in their collection, ie) the posters show that is in 67 or whatever number of collections, how can i see who owns that poster?
from your own collection page, there is a search box at the bottom of the page that lets you enter another EB member's ID. if the user you're looking for has his settings set for "make collection public" then you'll be able to browse their collection.

there has been discussion about the second part of your question, and the decision was made not to allow this due to privacy concerns - i think people were afraid of being deluged with unsolicited and unwanted offers. i don't agree with the decision, but it isn't mine to make :) at minimum, an opt-in check box just like making collection private would seem ok...
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:07 am

Doug is exactly on in answering the second part of your question. EB does not allow users of the site to search for a print if it is in someone's collection in order to avoid unsolicited offers for a print that may not want to be parted with, only those on a For Sale or Trade page may be searched. This works in combination with the user option to keep their collection page under either public or private view - again for the sake of the user's preferences.
That said, I know that I have personally received offers of pieces in my collection that are not up for sale or trade (and out of the blue - not as part of a trade where I have suggested to view my collection pieces as well as my FS/FT page). I don't find it overly annoying, but since I feel that I should respond to any message - even if it's just to say "Not available - thanks" - it can be a bit bothersome at times.
Tra la la la la...
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:06 pm

thanks,

i saw the search on the mycollection page, i just wasn't sure if it was somewhere else or not, or is there was an advanced member search to search for by personal name, territory etc.

thanks again.