System Compatibility Policy

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 am

Please read our System Compatibility Policy for supported systems.
palehighway

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:43 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redbear
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Safari seems to be conspiculously absent from your list. Obviously you can't support every browser. However, that's a huge one for the mac users out there.

Nice choices on the ones to not support. Dogs, all of them.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:51 pm

anyone experiencing formatting issues on the site?

the avatar name box has been cutting off text in the boxes for a week or two. Not for everyone though. Maxine's post in the latest print thread is a good example.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Policy updated to follow Google's recent announcement that it will no longer support IE 6 and other older browsers. Google Chrome and Safari is now supported.

Internet Explorer is hands down the worst performing browser on the Internet.
It is not compliant with many Internet standards and JavaScript performance
is more than 10X worse than FireFox and 20X worse than Chrome. In some tests,
the browser performed so badly that the test had to be changed to prevent it
from failing. Microsoft is losing their monopoly, so we are no longer forced to bow to
their inferior technology.

Having to support lowest common denominator browsers limits our ability to provide robust services.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 pm

For the record, this is Google's announcement.
In order to continue to improve our products and deliver more sophisticated features and performance, we are harnessing some of the latest improvements in web browser technology. This includes faster JavaScript processing and new standards like HTML5. As a result, over the course of 2010, we will be phasing out support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 as well as other older browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers.

We plan to begin phasing out support of these older browsers on the Google Docs suite and the Google Sites editor on March 1, 2010. After that point, certain functionality within these applications may have higher latency and may not work correctly in these older browsers. Later in 2010, we will start to phase out support for these browsers for Google Mail and Google Calendar.

Google Apps will continue to support Internet Explorer 7.0 and above, Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome 4.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and above.

Starting this week, users on these older browsers will see a message in Google Docs and the Google Sites editor explaining this change and asking them to upgrade their browser. We will also alert you again closer to March 1 to remind you of this change.

In 2009, the Google Apps team delivered more than 100 improvements to enhance your product experience. We are aiming to beat that in 2010 and continue to deliver the best and most innovative collaboration products for businesses.

Thank you for your continued support!

Sincerely,

The Google Apps team
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Hows about syncing up the EB clock/timestamp on posts with the correct time. before it was about 20 minutes off now its about 1 hour

Maybe not off.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:Hows about syncing up the EB clock/timestamp on posts with the correct time. before it was about 20 minutes off now its about 1 hour

Maybe not off.
I just synced the server which was about 80 seconds off the atomic clock. My posts are timed to the mark of my eastern time zone. Maybe you need to set your time zone in your profile under board preferences:global settings.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Test post.

Edit: I had problems with this too, but that test was right-on.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Wtf, the clock is off an hour for me and I'm set to PST.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
dougr
Site Admin

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Summer Time/DST is in effect: [_] yes [x] no
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Duh!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 am

After much thought and consideration, we have revised the compatibility policy to more clearly define what support means.

Official supported browsers are Google Chrome 4+, FireFox 3.5+, Safari 3+, and Internet Explorer 8+.
All supported browsers are treated equally with equal effort given to them with the understanding that test systems for all browsers are not available and therefore support may require the cooperation of the members.

Support is defined by:
(1) Providing standards based content with proper structure as defined by the official specifications. The intent of this approach is to provide the content that all browsers should render properly if they play by the rules.
(2) Using technology that exists in the officially supported browsers. If a technology exists in a browser but does not work, then that is a browser defect and will not prevent use of said technology.
(3) Browser defects are for browser makers to fix. There will be no browser specific workarounds. Adding these kinds of fixes raises maintenance costs and ultimately harms the user experience for all users. However, changes in design and content which work more favorably on all browsers will be considered on a case by case basis.
(4) If a browser contains an exceptional number of defects such that it requires more than half the total support effort, it may be dropped from the line up regardless of user impact.

Legacy MSIE 7 support:
MSIE 7 contained a lot of defects which required hacks to nearly every page without exaggeration. When its user base reduces to under 3%, the hacks will be removed and MSIE 7 will no longer function on this site. To prevent the existance of MSIE 7 from harming the other members, MSIE 7 impacts will not be considered with the introduction of new features or content.
redbear
Art Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 am

The cravat is a neckband, the forerunner of the modern tailored necktie and bow tie, originating from 17th century Croatia.
sunsetbrew wrote:After much thought and consideration, we have revised the compatibility policy to more clearly define what support means.

Official supported browsers are Google Chrome 4+, FireFox 3.5+, Safari 3+, and Internet Explorer 8+.
All supported browsers are treated equally with equal effort given to them with the cravat that test systems for all browsers are not available and therefore support may require the cooperation of the members.
flame30
New User

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 am

nyone experiencing formatting issues on the site?

the avatar name box has been cutting off text in the boxes for a week or two. Not for everyone though. Maxine's post in the latest print thread is a good examp

naeem :hanging: :notworthy: