poster of the week modification

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
dams.blues

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:15 am

:D Hello,

that's weird to see nominated posters which are not from 2005 year.
I think only the posters added since the last month (or less) and from 2005 should be available for nomination.

A+

PS: Sorry for my poor english language.
marshhouse
Art Expert

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:45 am

I'd rather see the natural flow of things take place vs. art entered for a particular month. Given the massive amount of art on this site and out in the world in general it's nice being exposed to stuff from whenever. For example, we might add a particular item from artist x but for whatever reason it doesn't get "noticed". Then a few months later it becomes more well known and people start voting for it.

Just my take on the whole thing.

The higher ups will have the last say though.
Bacon is love.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:05 am

That thought was actually a big part of discussion (as I recall) when we were originally setting up the "Art of the Week" for that reason -- depending on when an item is entered, it might not be considered. For example, it's only been in more recent months that pieces have been entered from the earlier catalogs of artists/collectives like Decoder Ring, Aesthetic Apparatus, Heads of State, etc. Should their prints from 2002-2004 never have a chance to be considered just because no one at EB had gotten around to entering them sooner?
I think the variety of nominees that we see shows that collector tastes vary widely and at worst, the art of the week and the random views of the nominees gives exposure to a range of artists for everyone (hopefully).
Tra la la la la...
dams.blues

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:45 am

Hi,

I agree with you when you said that the poster of the week shouldn’t depends of his printing year. But why not taking in count for nomination only the poster added in database since 1 or 2 weeks or more(depends of the quantity we want for the vote).Each week, we will have to choose in a list and not in the whole database (impossible to explore entirely).
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:57 am

The thing is that your arguement for using only submissions from the last 1-2 weeks is the same one used for NOT limiting -- some folks just don't have the time to be checking what is new every week. Or they'd only check what they care about to be new. And what about the week or weeks where only a couple of dozen new entries are posted versus the ones where some of us have some extra time and get in a few hundred? This is why it's open to the whol e database and not limited by time or submissions.
Tra la la la la...