Site Update - Capital Fundraising

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
Count
Art Expert

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 am

mike123230 wrote:Remember when people told me I was being ridiculous for asking for at least somewhat regular updates?

Anyway - just a simple "hey, we're super aware that the site, which many of you have donated money to over the years and that you also may have donated money to over a year ago for a complete site revamp, is completely shitting the bed and we're working on it" would be super awesome.
Some sort of update now would be appreciated for sure. Can't remember the last time the site was this wonky for so long.
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

Count wrote:
mike123230 wrote:Remember when people told me I was being ridiculous for asking for at least somewhat regular updates?

Anyway - just a simple "hey, we're super aware that the site, which many of you have donated money to over the years and that you also may have donated money to over a year ago for a complete site revamp, is completely shitting the bed and we're working on it" would be super awesome.
Some sort of update now would be appreciated for sure. Can't remember the last time the site was this wonky for so long.
Wonky isn't even the right word. It's unfortunatley come to the point it's almost unusable. Sad to see that this is what it's come too. I've been on here a long time and seen the ups, downs, fads, and trends over the past 15 years and have met and been part of some really cool things. Now I can't stay logged in, can't see the pictures, don't have a background, lucky to be able to post anything, and I'm guessing the list goes on.

A few years back I could just switch to gigposters.com and get my daily fix but can't do that either. Wishing that sight was still around right now.

I hope the leaders and people in charge of expressobeans have a solution soon. It seems like the users here are the horses walking towards the carrot being held in front of them with a stick. It's been literally years we've been told about updates to correct the long time known issues.

I want to be optomistic that things can be corrected and more great things can happen here, just feeling like it may not happen . . . . and that would be very detrimental to all the artists and collectors in the poster community.
PearlJamOnToast

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 am

Pretty pissed off I donated last year.....this site is beyond awful now.
schmoff
Art Expert

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 am

its partially back for me, looks like they are doing something behind the scenes at least
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:30 am

Not really.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:35 am

Prinze wrote:
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: drymount yeah! missing a couple of buttons (report and quote - they still work, just not visible). Thanks Prinze!
Whoops, thanks for the heads up. I forgot to mention:

For best results, you may need to edit some urls in the style.css file. The buttons on this site use background images in the CSS like this:
style.css wrote:.quote-icon, .quote-icon a {

background-image: url(http://forum.expressobeans.com/http://f ... _quote.gif);
}
The internet archive uses archived resources, so they append a prefix to that link:
style.css wrote:.quote-icon, .quote-icon a {

background-image: url(/web/20180930024204im_/http://forum.expressobeans.com/styles/e ... _quote.gif);
}
Which won't load correctly from the extension's files.

So if you grabbed the archived version of the CSS, you'll need to remove the prefix "/web/20180930024204im_/" from all the urls in style.css. Find + Replace All in your favorite text editor should do the trick.

Should fix the edit and delete buttons too.
perfect. That brought the rest of the buttons back. thanks much!
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
HisBobness
Art Expert

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 pm

PearlJamOnToast wrote:Pretty pissed off I donated last year.....this site is beyond awful now.
This dude has made a total of FOUR posts before this one in TEN YEARS, yet he still supported the cause of EB and donated part of his income. If this hombre is still active in at least visiting the site, and feels the need to voice his/her concerns, expressobeans.com should pay attention.

I very much wouldn't like jam on toast, I'm more of a peanut butter man, but still.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 am

Can someone just start up a competitive site at this point? This is a complete failure
thefool
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:00 am

'Rather than try and address each question I’m receiving regarding the current site issues, I’m writing the basic statement below. If you have a specific query, please let me know and I’ll try and get back to you shortly although I don’t have a ton of free time to field every question at this point.

As I'm sure you've realized, this isn't an issue localized to your account. We're having site issues and are having difficulty getting in contact with our tech help to execute the needed reset, so I can't give further details at the moment. Hopefully things will be stabilized soon/shortly and we can continue onward, but steps are being taken for forward action.

I know that we’ve all been frustrated with the (lack of) overhaul to the site and while this is due to some gross incompetence on the part of the design firm, we’re trying to figure some sort of solution to get back on track.

-Brendan" response from the support email.
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 am

I hope they get this sorted out. This outage has lasted longer than any I can remember in recent history.

I think this hobby needs a community like Expresso Beans. This forum helps to promote art and prints and helps to facilitate selling and trading which incentivizes artists and galleries to make more cool prints.

The suggestion of making a competing forum is easy to throw out there, but I have often wondered, what is really in for the people who run this place. I doubt they are getting rich from donations or eBay referrals. There is no advertising on the site to support it. Servers and programming and data cost money. What is the business model for this website? How does it support itself?

A status update would be nice, but to say that you donated $ and you were scammed sounds like nonsense to me. Unless I am mistaken, the admins do not get paid to do this or moderate the site. They volunteer time, and I trust they have other real-life commitments beyond EB. Like I said, I hope it gets sorted out soon, but if not, I will surely miss this place.
ImageX5
schmoff
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am

damn it was starting to work for me yesterday and now its back to crap
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 am

schmoff wrote:its partially back for me, looks like they are doing something behind the scenes at least
What is going on behind the scenes is:

masturbation noun
mas·tur·ba·tion | \ˌmas-tər-ˈbā-shən \
Definition of masturbation
: erotic stimulation especially of one's own genital (see GENITAL sense 2) organs commonly resulting in orgasm and achieved by manual (see MANUAL entry 1 sense 1) or other bodily contact exclusive of sexual intercourse, by instrumental manipulation (see MANIPULATE sense 1), occasionally by sexual fantasies, or by various combinations of these agencies

Hard to get things working again when the keys on the keyboard stick.

Maybe the solution would be to raise $100k to pay a vendor that puts EB higher up on the list of priorities.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:53 am

Of course EB isn’t trying to scam anyone but now I wonder if they GOT scammed by whatever budget ass lame “company” they picked to do the overhaul. It was probably some 14 year old hacker who has since ghosted.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ACCBiggz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Of course EB isn’t trying to scam anyone but now I wonder if they GOT scammed by whatever budget ass lame “company” they picked to do the overhaul. It was probably some 14 year old hacker who has since ghosted.
I'm glad they gave a statement, and this is where being a bit more public with site updates/donations could have been beneficial. Not that they needed to relay the name of the firm necessarily, but could have potentially gotten suggestions of reputable companies to handle it.

However, this is just my initial gut reaction. I'm not in contact with any admin and have little to no context or information about that side so it all could be wildly off-base. That's why I try not to judge too harshly for a site that is run by volunteers through generosity and passion.