What's it take to get the "owners" to update the site?!?!?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
msmith83
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Seriously.... EB COULD be a great resource for tons of people. With more and more people collecting art - what's it take for the owners to "own" up and say hey, we are behind the times and we need to switch providers and servers?!

Don't get me wrong, I use the site daily, hardly ever go to forums - but there's never any change to the site. Yes people volunteer their time to help out with the petty daily tasks - (and yes we appreciate you!) But hey - making a site a little better, run faster, not down all the time, more user friendly... It's not that hard - and not that expensive.

IF the people who own EB don't want to mess with it - come at me!
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:33 pm

:lurk:
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 pm

The current issues are teething troubles following a switch to a new faster server so...
My up to date trades and ISOs.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:38 pm

The only part of your criticism i genuinely agree with is the site's downtimes, and occasional bouts of slowness. Doesn't happen all that often, but when it does, it's kind of a pain. As far as usability goes though, i think it's just fine. At its roots it's phpbb forum soft, which is pretty widely used. A ton of custom stuff put on top of it, but i don't really have any problems with the user experience, when the servers are running alright. :pint:
(with that said, as far as out of the box forum software goes, i do prefer SMF over PHPBB, but that's just a personal preference)
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:41 pm

1nkling wrote:The current issues are teething troubles following a switch to a new faster server so...
Oh, nice! That'll be pretty sweet once the kinks are worked out. Thanks for all you guys' work.
So it goes...
msmith83
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Don't get me wrong, for the most part it nice for a simple website -other than , more often than not -it's super slow. Ever try to search for some artist you didn't know the exact name? Or try to search for a member, to find any settings is a pain, let's make a button that logs me automatically - but not do it... Wait five seconds telling me I'm logged in, yes I know I'm logged in, otherwise I would have to enter something again. Is anything done with inactive users - I've seen posted for sale for someone for years... -how about add a feature that won't allow access until a user responds to emails.

That's just a few things as far as usability.

A great repository of art, great attribute of adding eBay posts.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 pm

msmith83 wrote:not that expensive.
Why don't ya put your money where ya mouf is and make a donation?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 pm

I actually find the format of this site to be very user friendly and quite easy to navigate. Yes, the down times and lack of speed are frustrating, but I trust that it is being fixed. As for the rest of the OP's suggestions, I am not supportive.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:
msmith83 wrote:not that expensive.
Why don't ya put your money where ya mouf is and make a donation?
Oof
edgar
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:22 pm

TGT
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Oof!
liamc93
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:37 pm

Seriously......STFU.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:50 pm

msmith83 wrote:Seriously.... EB COULD be a great resource for tons of people. With more and more people collecting art - what's it take for the owners to "own" up and say hey, we are behind the times and we need to switch providers and servers?!

Don't get me wrong, I use the site daily, hardly ever go to forums - but there's never any change to the site. Yes people volunteer their time to help out with the petty daily tasks - (and yes we appreciate you!) But hey - making a site a little better, run faster, not down all the time, more user friendly... It's not that hard - and not that expensive.

Says the guy that hasn't made a donation. :roll: :hanging:
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:52 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:
msmith83 wrote:Seriously.... EB COULD be a great resource for tons of people. With more and more people collecting art - what's it take for the owners to "own" up and say hey, we are behind the times and we need to switch providers and servers?!

Says the guy that hasn't made a donation. :roll: :hanging:
And has less than 20 posts in 2 and a half years.
So it goes...
edgar
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 pm

don't get him wrong...
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!