New EB features?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
dlazarow
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:54 am

Hi all,
I'm currently finishing up a Web Development certificate program and it has me thinking about new features that could be developed for this site. Not that I'm a mod here, or a site founder, but I wonder if we could start some ideas flowing of things you'd like to see available on this site. Maybe I could help out coding up some things if I'm allowed access due to this initiative?
Anyway.. one thought I had was a private view into your own collection, whereby you can track and record all of your own purchases and sales in great detail in order to keep an almost accounting-like precise record of profits and losses/sacrifices. Of course, trades would be hard to track in those terms, so I'd welcome brainstorming on that.
Basically, I see myself having to upkeep (and forgetting to upkeep) an excell file that tracks how much I paid for a poster, if I ended up selling or trading it away, for what price/print, how much did shipping cost out of that, how much in ebay or paypal fees were paid either by me or the person buying the print, etc.
Granted this tool would make flippers lives easier, but I'm wondering if the users of this site would also see value in that? To me, just seeing a view that shows what I paid for my collection in total, what it's worth (market average) today, and for what I've decided to let go of, how much I either made or lost overall, would all be really useful valuations of my collection.
Are there other features you'd like to see?
What would make this a better place for collectors?
Should there be more open marketplace tools that expose more of the transactions in greater detail or is that too much to track/maintain/ or over-share?
I think it would be cool if inside your collection you also had some way to note that you have a piece framed or if it's in your flat file.. maybe just a thick black border that goes around the thumbnails of prints you have framed within your private view of your collection?
And I guess the final question... what would you be willing to pay on an annual basis for membership/access to the full suite of tools offered for tracking your collection online here? I'm sure many of us donate to EB on at least an annual basis to help maintain the site (because I'm sure it's a ton of work for the developers behind it). So would it be worthwhile for the founders to monetize the site into a real business model if it was something cheap, like say $100 for the year to be a member with full access to all the tools? What's the right dollar amount? The cost of a basic Mondo print - $50? Personally, I'd be willing to pay that per year now for what's available, let alone if all the additional tools I mentioned were implemented.
Just my thoughts... let me know yours!
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 am

tl;dr
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 am

Codeblue wrote:tl;dr
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 am

Codeblue wrote:tl;dr
mrkyuss
Art God

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:36 am

I wish EB had an 'after dark' board where you could post whatever you wanted.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
pisker
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 am

I think that there is definitely value in that. I would use it for sure.

Also, I suggested this before, but a "Most Wanted" Page where you can see the prints that are listed as top ISO of all EB'ers. I think that would be cool to see the current trends... :2thumb:
My Noob Confession: I used to actually type out "Drymount"
bmerel
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:57 am

Heres something…

Make it a "punishable by ban" offense to use acronyms. Write that script and i'll send you a free print.

…although i am dead serious about the acronym thing (please refer to the movie "Idiocracy" for reasoning), there are some great ideas above. I do find this site extremely user friendly but like almost all technology, there's room for improvement and efficiency. Cheers and thanks!

(no idea what "tl:dr" or whatever the drymountin hell that is means….use your drymountin words people!!!!)
Last edited by bmerel on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:00 am

So can you make me a bot?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:47 am

looks like you need to talk to Yamar first before picking our brains.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 am

bkboy77 wrote:looks like you need to talk to Yamar first before picking our brains.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

I would like the top EB banner to always be at the top of the page while scrolling down. That way I don't have to scroll back up to check messages, view new posts, etc... oops, sorry bmerel, I mean, et cetera.
nsd
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

ntl;r

I like the above mentioned idea of being able to visually see items that are most ISO rather than those that have low priority. I personally have a handful of top ISO's and numerous that I would like to have at some point... almost a checklist for me.

I also wish there was a better way to handle ISO's of prints with multiple versions in cases where you just want one and don't necessarily care which. Example: Someone may want any Stout Kill Bill, any will do. As currently setup they must mark 1st, variant, ap, ap variant, etc. This is fine, but it ends up with a handful or more of entries in the ISO page. So if there is a better way to show "Stout Kill Bill" and see what versions they have/will trade/ISO listed below as a single entry, maybe that could be cool in some instances.

What about having quantities? May own two of something, one may be s&d. How to distinguish?
Can be an online release PB when I am not trying to get the piece if I am available. Just ask.
#1 ISO's: (Stout - Signed "Reservoir Dogs", Taylor - "Drive" & Mitchell - Signed "Driver" Portrait)
bmerel
Art Expert

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 pm

bkboy77 wrote:looks like you need to talk to Yamar first before picking our brains.

And this!!^^^^^^
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Kramerica wrote:So can you make me a bot?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 pm

:lol: How much?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH