Movie 1 sheets, banners and cutouts buy,sell and trade

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:22 pm

sfxdan wrote:I'd echo what Fitz has said. Chirashis are great looking posters, easier to frame and generally very affordable.

Generally speaking us one sheets tend to be portrait. Uk quads are horizontal. You don't really get any cross over in terms of format layout. The only one i can think of is kill bill. Where they made a uk one sheet teaser. Which was for the uk premier

Most modern day us and U.K. poster fit a standard layout dependant on the films genre. If you like posters for their artwork rather than the film title. Check out some polish, czech and Japanese poster. They tend to be much more colourful and striking design
Ok, few things:

Chirashis are affordable because they are literally flyers/handbills, nothing more. They are very common and were/are printed in very high volumes compared to the legit posters from Japan (B1, B2, B3, tatekan, etc.). The chirashis are most common, then B2s,then B1s. Many films only had the B2, but if a B1 exists for a given title, that is the one collectors really strive for.

Yes, the main US poster format, the one sheet, is a vertical format and the UK quad is horizontal. However, there ARE crossovers in terms of layout. The US has the subway poster (usually 43x62 horizontal), and there are many UK one sheets (also used internationally outside the UK) that are vertical. One random example is the international Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which has fantastic art:

Original Thunderball US subway:

Lastly, genre has nothing to do with format...
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 pm

To add to the Japanese sizes, don't forget about B0 (basically two B1 posters put together) and B4 (speed posters) that measure 10x29. B0 are very rare and sought after. Speed posters are a bit more common, but still pretty hard to find in a lot of cases and very collectible as well.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 am

wonkabars7 wrote:Original Thunderball US subway:
That is a killer movie poster. You can't go wrong with a Johnny Quest frogman.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 am

brettlv5506 wrote:To add to the Japanese sizes, don't forget about B0 (basically two B1 posters put together) and B4 (speed posters) that measure 10x29. B0 are very rare and sought after. Speed posters are a bit more common, but still pretty hard to find in a lot of cases and very collectible as well.
Yep, this was part of my 'etc'... :)

The B0 for Apocalypse Now is probably one of the best examples in terms of being popular with collectors.

Also, not all films got every format but I would wager most/all got their chirashi/B2 printed and circulated to theaters....
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I saw that you mentioned B3, but I had never seen one until last night. They are weird, at least the two I saw. They both had the normal movie poster part going on, but the right side border was an advertisement for another product, in this case coffee I believe. Also, I have a poster for Woman in the Dunes that doesn't fit into any of the categories. Imagine a speed poster, make it substantially larger, and then turn it on it's side.
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:42 pm

There are many articles online which show how different movie genres have different design layouts.

For example. Hollywood blockbusters have various character head shots with the main character in the middle. Rom coms have a different layout to horrow films etc.... It's not a hard and fast rule. But a rule of thumb with most modern day photoshopped posters
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 pm

This is just one article I found within 60 seconds of looking, there are lots more

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-post ... ame-75846/
MoviePosterEmpire

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:02 pm

You're talking about marketing psychology though, not industry standards for posters.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm

sfxdan wrote:There are many articles online which show how different movie genres have different design layouts.

For example. Hollywood blockbusters have various character head shots with the main character in the middle. Rom coms have a different layout to horrow films etc.... It's not a hard and fast rule. But a rule of thumb with most modern day photoshopped posters
Design vs. formats.

If nothing else, the article you link to shows how the modern poster is generally awful and uninspired...
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:58 am

wonkabars7 wrote:
sfxdan wrote:There are many articles online which show how different movie genres have different design layouts.

Design vs. formats.

If nothing else, the article you link to shows how the modern poster is generally awful and uninspired...
That's the point I was making. Most modern posters aren't that exciting to look. And you can generally guess how a poster is going to look by the genre of the film
fitz
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:12 pm

if you have some serious coin to drop - http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/searc ... LXI45CQW5T
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:40 pm

If anyone gets their hands on a Jurassic Park 27x40 DS poster with the Mosasauras eating the shark I would like to buy one.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Just find a good seller on ebay for that one.
MoviePosterEmpire

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:32 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Just find a good seller on ebay for that one.
Yep. People at these printing places skim extras off the top and sell them to resellers.
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 am

wonkabars7 wrote:Just find a good seller on ebay for that one.
Only one on ebay is $150 and I can't afford that. Way overpriced too for a movie that just released.